Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Counterspell.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:27 pm 
This just hit me as I was playing today..

A counterspell spell for casters

Quote:
Counterspell
This spell allows you to counter a spell cast by another.
To cast counterspell you need to be able to cast the spell being cast,
and to be able to see and target the caster. Success of counter
is determined by knowledge of counterspell, knowledge of spell
being countered, and then art vs art. The mana cost of this spell
depends on the spell being countered (half or full, whatever seems
appropriate)

maybe we'll see some interesting mageduels this way :p

thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:42 pm 
Mortal

It wouldn't be a spell, it'd have to be an automatic skill, to counter. To clarify, a coutner-anything is a reflexive technique, and there's no way a pc could type the counterspell command unless they had a trigger up as soon as someone starts concentrating.

I'm almost tempted to say it'd be too hard to code, but even so, I LOVE this idea. Certain spells would still have to be un-counterable - I'd say any group-targetting damage spell shouldn't be counterable, and probably the cause series + harm.

Since I'm thinking about this as I'm typing, I'd say that leaves "projectile based" spells as counterable. fireball, lightning bolt, magic missile, acid blast, magma, and a few others, I guess.

It'd probably be a sorc spell, as I don't see warlocks or priests being interested in putting too much time into something like that.

Also, counterspell should fire off INSTANTLY, and be subject to the same criteria as the original spell, just with double damage. (Although, sorcerors being able to interject their own characteristics into the returned spell would certainly be neat).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:10 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Briner, Senach, Myson, others.
Is it me or are a number of threads in this forum sounding like Magic The Gathering cards? (yes, I'm a geek, and I know it). :oops:

First off, If sorcerors only get the spell, then only sorceror spells would be countered, if we hold to Erevan's idea of only being able to counter spells you know. If it is expanded so that any projectile spell can be blocked, then it has to have a VERY low chance of succeeding... maybe 15-20% at max. Else, it's just too big a buff to sorcerors. Remember, for you MTG fans, you're only allowed four of the 'counterspell' card in a deck, and in tournaments, there's a limit on counterspell-type cards in a deck.

It's an interesting idea, but I think it is just too powerful, and nerfs all casters vs. classes who have this.

So... give it to barbarians. :drunk:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:22 pm 
Mortal

Maybe a spellcraft skill could be added for sorcerers/necromancers/priests, allow them to see which spell is being cast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:29 pm 
Mortal

Counterspell would just be for noobs that don't know how to get EQ enchanted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:11 pm 
Gold Donor

SK Character: None
Somebody has been playing too much MTG.

Everybody would be a blue mage if CS was in the game!

It would turn all encounters among mages into the game "Warlock Wins" where the fire elemental is the superior damage output and if the sorceror or misc. caster is not ethereal, they die.

Please, no Counterspell. It was discontinued in Magic for a reason and surely doesn't have a place in SK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:10 pm 
Mortal Contributor

MTG != SK.

Spellcraft skill for SK would be hot. 35% chance of telling you what's being cast before it gets cast at GM for non-same class, 70% chance otherwise!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:27 am 
The idea was that it would be a spell, so that you need to actualy be fast enough to hit 'cast counter X', and concentrate for at least half a second before the counter is off. This means that if youre too slow with countering, you fail :p

This way countering spells like hellfire and spear of faith will be hard, but canceling out a harm or a finalstrike shouldnt be that hard.

Also, the original idea wasnt so that any caster class could counter any other caster class. that would be lame imho. you need to know the spell to counter it, and well, if you knwo the spell, you will see the name of it in the end.

As for spellcraft, okay. this game already resembles 3d eddition D&D. lets not take it to the next level. whats next? epic spells? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:03 am 
Mortal Contributor

Having more similarities to 3.5 isn't that bad of an idea. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:54 am 
no prestige classes thankyouverymuch.