Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:07 pm 
Mortal Contributor

What spells in particular are overpowered? The only major thing I can see is that this class would be tremendously problematic for casters to fight against, but melee should actually not have that much of a problem as long as they can save against the pacify. Having a cleric with the melee should force this class to get the hell out.

If you're talking about OMG VINES, that spell almost always works compared to this one, and this spell is only meant to keep you from walking in ONE specific direction. It locks ONE direction off. The spell is USELESS in the wilderness, it's only good to "close down" a room, and even then it can be beaten with enough persistance. It's a hindrance, an annoyance. It also can help stop fleeing.

I have no idea what MC spell you could be thinking of. Of the two MC spells, neither is emulated by this class at all.

The class has no real defensive because it has no access to pets -- something that every one of the three major arcane caster classes have access to (charm person, control undead, animate dead, conjure elemental). The way to exchange for this is mana shield, which I think could ostensibly be 50/50 on the damage divide. It only works against melee anyways.

This class is a "debuff" class. It's purpose is to weaken others to other effects. The spells need not last forever when casted upon someone, unlike blindness -- they could only stay for 2-3 ticks, and they'd still be very effective. This class would literally fight by dropping someone's protection and resistance, giving them mana burn, and then blasting that character with mana blast. This dynamic changes when its placed in a group, where it may not be forced to deal its own damage, and instead can focus on impairing the enemy group as fast as it can.

In the end, I don't see what the big deal is. Again, if you're going to say that it has overpowered skills, point out which and why. Or point out combinations that would break it, on paper. I post this here so you can all have fun dissecting it and saying, well, X + Y might be a tad too strong. Not for people to say OMG X IS SILLY WTF.

Also, again, true seeing is like the counter to 2-3 cabal skills, which is the only reason why I gave it to them. Even then, the concentration required may not make it a feasible choice of spell for PK. Might be relatively useful anyways, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:13 pm 
Mortal

Actually, I think it's underpowered, or at least underfun. All other mages get a powerful combat spell around Mentor/Master: Petrification, Finger of Death, Magma Spray. Pacify is nice but not in that class.

This could work for a buffer, who depends on the direct power of others and increases it. But this spellset looks more like a fairly gentle set of maledictions with some moderate damage spells. There's plenty of utility - I grant True Seeing is very nice - but not quite enough power.

I'd be tempted to take some of the 16 or so new spells, and make them more exciting. You might consider letting some of the rest go. For example, Know Age sounds more like a carnival attraction than a serious spell. Not that there's anything wrong with having a fun spell, but that's not even much fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:07 pm 
Mortal Contributor

The Wizard's damage spell scales according to the Wizard's level, so the nuke they get early on will have evolved into a strong spell by the time they are stronger.

The Wizard's way of dealing damage should be to drop enemy resistances first and then either allowing casters to pile up the damage, or attempt to pile it up themselves. Alternatively, they can prevent other casters from doing a lot of damage to them or their group.

Their damage comes from stranger sources than a mere nuke. The idea is that if they want to take something out, they can't do it with a save-or-die (petrification, finger of death). They have to do it with raw damage -- which they have to work for.

Warlocks are damagemongers, that's what they do first and foremost. The Wizard trades damage for flexibility -- and for the ability to open up further damage to his allies. I don't think there's anything severely underpowered about this class.

Know age is there because the spell exists and because sorcerors are supposed to get it, but don't. Probably because it's a waste of experience points. I don't know what else to give it, however. I wanted to give this class defensive harmony (think of the D&D spell), but it doesn't make sense to me. I did think about letting mana shield be cast on someone else -- drain the caster's mana for whatever damage someone else takes. At the very least it'd be interesting and pretty useful, but your mana might go away really fast to buffer for the damage the other's taking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:53 pm 
Mortal Contributor

I think that the chances of Dulrik putting into Sk a class that was created by someone else, a player or immortal, are exceedingly small. If we ever do see another class on SK, I think it will be a class that Dulrik conceieves of himself or a class that he gets from another mud and crafts into his own idea of what that class should be on SK.

I'm not jumping on the plagerism bandwagon here when I say that. Dulrik has taken ideas from many places and given full credit to the people he's taken them from. You have to keep in mind that everything under the sun has already been done, and many many writers and creative people have cobbled together a bunch of ideas from other people to form their own idea. It would be almost impossible, if not flat out impossible not to be influenced by the things around you.

But speaking of a class, a new class for SK, I wouldn't go with another wizard class. I would choose an adventuring class known as the merchant class. The merchant class would have skill related to the world and many interaction skills.

They would be skilled navigators for ships when they are eventually put in, they would be able to barter. They would possibly have the ability to give loans for usury fees ( I see this being done at banks). They could many many things, but I'm not going to list them here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:38 pm 
Mortal Contributor

I think it's been mentioned that tradeskills for all characters aren't an impossibility. Just don't hold your breath.

And I'm pretty aware Dulrik may never consider adding this class. This is just us theorizing, really.