Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:19 pm 
Mortal Philanthropist

Lag on login, actions, and even lagging... Hmm.. Have you guys ever played WoW?

:lol:

EDIT: More on topic; This idea has been suggested before. I would rather like to think that if you try junking something while in combat the other party gets a HUGE bonus to an attack or something. You turn your head away from the field, you get burned.

I don't know how possible this is code wise, but I don't think lagging everyone out is the solution. Some people have enough lag to begin with. I know that even with my bad a** comp. and my fast connection I lag out sometimes. Jardek has it right, we've spent enough time trying to reduce lag.. An alternitive solution would be better.

Last edited by Gremlin24 on Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:22 pm 
Mortal Philanthropist

Unfortunately, Jardek didn't get the point. I hoping that by saying so stupid that he would realize that what he said was equally as stupid. I failed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:53 pm 
Hey Muktar, do you ever get the feeling like you've just made yourself the brunt of a massive joke and everybody's laughing at you?

Because I think it was pretty clear that I was being completely sarcastic the entire time, and I trust pretty much everyone with a brain picked up on that, leaving you squarely in the dust.

Want a do-over there, little man? I'll let you have one if you want, because so far the only thing that actually works in your post so far is this:

Muktar wrote:
I failed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:35 pm 
Mortal Philanthropist

No, you made it quite clear that you think that this idea is stupid and then you gave examples of what you considered equally as stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:40 pm 
No no, take your time. You don't have to make yourself look sillier for my benefit, just sit down and think it through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:09 am 
Mortal Contributor

SK Character: That'd be telling
Jardek, I came with this an idea because I thought it might help a little. And I did ask for comments - but please bear in mind we haven't all played the game for quite as long as you, so aren't necessarily aware of previous discussions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:23 am 
Don't sweat it, worts. Bear in mind though, that junk is largely an out of character command that benefits the mud. If you start adding lag to junking, people are going to stop junking, and you're going to see an awful lot more real lag in the mud. I don't know what the server's like right now, but I can't imagine it'd hold up so well to tens of thousands of extra items lying around.

I think the problem is not junking. If people aren't allowed to junk you, they'll think of something else. They aren't all stupid. They'll get your corpse, quaff giant strength and take everything, whatever it takes. The answer doesn't lie in an alteration of code that'll frustrate people who aren't doing anything wrong and not really change the problem. Rather, it lies in somehow convincing the playerbase that get all corpse;drop all;j all is not the status quo.

To be honest with you though, junk looting has been standard procedure for a lot longer than you'd think. People have been complaining about it for over half a decade. Chances are you've only recently become aware of it because you, and the people you hang around with ingame, have just travelled further into the world of PK, or become a threat to people, or whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:29 am 
Mortal Contributor

SK Character: That'd be telling
Jardek wrote:
Quote:
you...have just travelled further into the world of PK, or become a threat to people...

LOL - give me a few more years and that might be true :oops: for now it's just the travelling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:50 pm 
Mortal

Jardek wrote:
just sit down and think it through.

I usually take pride in my ability to understand people, but this time I have to concede defeat. You have utterly befuzzled me. Excuse me while I quickly beat my head on the wall, scream with sheer fury, cry for a bit, repeatedly tell myself "I'M A FAILURE," then finally decide to Get Over Myself and Forget All About It.

Seriously, now.

You can't just wait for people to figure it out on their own, because it ain't gonna happen. There has to be SOME way to discourage j-looters without crapping up the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:24 pm 
Mortal

Remove the junk all command and force people to junk each item. The only what that I can see this as a problem is in training area you are going to get a lot of extra items that drop all the time and all of those would have to be junked.