Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Damage & Enlarge - Addressing the problems.
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:26 pm 
Mortal

What is the reason behind giving players what seems to be (judging by other threads that talk about this) a large damage boost due to them being magically enlarged without any(?) combat drawbacks? Has anything been done to balance this mechanic yet?

As far as damage output goes based on size I am not complaining. If other players think that needs slight tweaking fine. But I do think "damage modifiers" need to be applied to each race and enlarge then stripped of its modifier "boost."

For instance establish a multiplier to each size and lock that in to a "damage modifier" in the characters stats (this would not be visible to the player because it would be obvious through race what their modifier is anyway). Then apply the proper "size/modifier" to each race. The only race I think should get a different modifier than what their size is would be dwarves as they tend to be stronger than "small" based on their culture so either make a custom modifier for them or give them a medium modifier.

If it isn't clear already this would help fix enlarge so that it is unable to grant a damage increase because the modifiers would be unaffected by the spell and merely the size would be changed. I know this is extra coding, however adding the modifiers would add the ability for the Imms to customize and integrate damage changes more easily in the future if such a system is not already present in a stand-alone form from the size stat.

In the case that the Imms have no intention of removing the inherent boost in damage from enlargement perhaps subtracting 2 points from both DEX and CON for each cast would be a fair trade off for the enlarge "buff?"

Nit-pick away at this. I know it is flawed in many ways but I thought I would start a topic about this again because it should be addressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:53 pm 
Mortal

Already happens to a certain degree with TO-HIT afaik. Also enlarged weapons weigh more and most of them time when they are disarmed, shrink immediately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:06 pm 
Mortal

Not to mention, it all weighs more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:20 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
Enlarging does have some big drawbacks, the most noticeable of which is definitely armor weight (In my opinion). I'm pretty sure that enlarge also causes you to be easier to hit.

The fact that you have to use enlarge herbs (or get other NPCs to enlarge you) is penalty enough as it is, all things considered. Armor and bless don't have drawbacks either, but they help in combat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:15 pm 
Mortal

Is there cause to target this buff above heal potions, protection, and the like?

I can see preventing enlarge from stacking, for whatever excuse we choose. Shrink can still stack to give access to various doors. But that'd be mostly to keep moderate-size and smaller races from getting a giant's combat advantage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:28 am 
Mortal

have people done any kind of testing themselves, or they are just going by what other people are saying? or just what would seem to make sense?

I have personally done extensive testing with a Grandmaster rogue mastered both in backstab and dual backstab

size increases, i.e. being enlarged, does not boost backstab damage in any way, and this was tested by medium size backstab n times and enlarged n times etc.

(however while we were testing this, enchanting makes a significant difference even as measly as 1 point in damage)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:05 am 
Mortal

Dulrik already said something about lowering the damage that larger sizes do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:37 am 
Mortal

Dulrik changed it about 6 months ago to make it so your worse in combat if you are fighting at the wrong size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:15 pm 
Mortal

Rial wrote:
Dulrik changed it about 6 months ago to make it so your worse in combat if you are fighting at the wrong size.

You remind me of the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz.