Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Relic Capturing to Decide Wars
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:47 pm 
Mortal

This is an excerpt of something I posted in private forums that I thought might be better discussed more broadly. Where do other people stand on CRS?

Quote:
For me, the problem with making demands following a relic gank is that those demands validate the idea that taking someone's relic while they are offline (which is always the way it happens) is any indication of superiority. I would rather boycott the relic ganking system entirely (or if someone wants to gank the relic for fun, we gank it and then parade around wearing it until it crumbles) than validate the system by using it for an RP tool.

It comes down to wanting everyone to have fun playing this game, and taking a relic when you have a spike of superior numbers (which often tends to be also when the other cabal is low on members generally) only serves to kick an organization while they are down. Not only are they now outnumbered, but they also don't have access to their cool abilities. Woot! Now if taking a relic resulted in gains for the victor rather than losses for the defeated, I think I would feel differently, but it doesn't.

I find enjoyment in this game through player-to-player interaction, so I'd rather see conflicts decided this way, not by killing NPCs.

Post subject: Re: Relic Capturing to Decide Wars
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:09 pm 
Mortal

Since I very rarely join Cabals, I don't care either way about CRS. Personally, I like that there is a way to turn off cabal abilities. Your character shouldn't be built around cabal abilities. If your character is completely useless because you don't have access to one or two abilities, well. That's your own damn fault.

Numerous cabal abilities are just completely [REDACTED]. The Druid room spell. The MC room spell. The Hammer's namesake. The Crucie room spell, and status affect spell. THE Harlie spell. All completely broken abilities.

Also. Nobody RPs losing. Ever. People won't even let OTHER PLAYERS on their side RP losing without throwing a fit. It's ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:04 pm 
Mortal

Relics can't be used to force a defeat. Either the players of the (defeated) cabal do not want to RP defeat or the players of the (winning) cabal are just too much of dicks to even give terms of surrender and so will hold on to a relic forever. That was the case with Linarumien's Fists against Ilkaisha's Adepts. As I recall, they held the Adept relic for over 6 months.

And yeah, if your build actually includes cabal abilities to be effective then you deserve to die horribly as it just reeks of fotm, especially that damn fistie shaman build.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:08 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
Relic ganking is dumb because no one does it unless all the opposing side is offline.

Also, it's incredibly easy with 3-4 people that know what they're doing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:46 pm 
Mortal

Edoras wrote:
Relic ganking is dumb because no one does it unless all the opposing side is offline.

Possibly because it's impossible to do when there's 1 PC of just about any class who has a brain online unless you have a group of like 9.

1 PC can really [REDACTED] you over while you're having a 90 round [REDACTED] fight with the outer guardian.

Not to mention a lot of the cabal abilities make it impossible to raid their HQ while they're online. Harhar. Yeah. Go try to kill the Crucie outer guardian while 1 Crucie member is in the HQ. Have fun getting your group of 9 jlooted by 1 pc.

Or your tank xxxed by an HoL member.

Or having <MC SPELL> cast on you while trying to heal your group.

etcetc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:52 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
The Hammer of Light could do just fine attacking the crucie HQ. MC would be pretty difficult though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:45 pm 
Mortal

Edoras wrote:
The Hammer of Light could do just fine attacking the crucie HQ. MC would be pretty difficult though.

>Implying that all the cabal HQ's haven't been equalized, room for room, and that all the darkies won't defend each other.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:03 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Retired Troll
He just means that the hammer skillset would let them ignore the cruxie room-effect spell, but it wouldn't do anything to help them against the MC room-effect spell.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:42 pm 
Mortal

reader wrote:
Edoras wrote:

Possibly because it's impossible to do when there's 1 PC of just about any class who has a brain online unless you have a group of like 9.

1 PC can really umm... you over while you're having a 90 round goshdarn fight with the outer guardian.

Not to mention a lot of the cabal abilities make it impossible to raid their HQ while they're online. Harhar. Yeah. Go try to kill the Crucie outer guardian while 1 Crucie member is in the HQ. Have fun getting your group of 9 jlooted by 1 pc.

Or your tank xxxed by an HoL member.

Or having <MC SPELL> cast on you while trying to heal your group.

etcetc

Did it the other day, XXX leader was on while 3 of us destroyed the outer guardian. They were there attacking us to.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:03 pm 
Mortal

I dislike the fact that losing a relic means losing abilities. It feels weak, RP-wise, and it seems to discourage PK and conflict. A lot of people don't want to nerf other peoples cabal abilities, and therefore have little interest in raiding. I think simply giving some kind of perk to the cabal holding a relic would be a better solution.