Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Code Update 11/24/2012 Q&A
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:47 pm 
Implementor

NativeWolf wrote:
Do only priests have to relearn or do mages have to relearn as well?!

Only priests have to re-learn armor and weapon. Both classes have to learn the new item spell from scratch.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:49 pm 
Implementor

Galactus wrote:
So... Shamans are still screwed because idols are worthless to them. They will always use a shield over a doll and it still cannot be used in the symbol slot?

The way I see it, dolls just got a buff. They now provide a type of boost that stacks with enhancement boost and can not be gotten via any other method.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:53 pm 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
Galactus wrote:
So... Shamans are still screwed because idols are worthless to them. They will always use a shield over a doll and it still cannot be used in the symbol slot?

The way I see it, dolls just got a buff. They now provide a type of boost that stacks with enhancement boost and can not be gotten via any other method.

True, dolls got a buff, but doesn't solve the problem of them always being weaker than a shield.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:55 pm 
Mortal

Galactus wrote:
Dulrik wrote:
Galactus wrote:

True, dolls got a buff, but doesn't solve the problem of them always being weaker than a shield.

I am having a hard time fathoming a reason why a shaman would decide to wear a doll instead of a shield, rather than instead of a weapon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:58 pm 
Implementor

Imperialistic_Babble wrote:
Today was essentially the death of "prep time" and the return of the days of the "I win" spells - the fact that the old enchantment system was replaced by this current one is laughable. While the time sink behind enchanting might have been reduced slightly, the end results are laughable and make investing in a kit hardly worthwile.

I think you'll find that there is still going to be quite a lot of thought and effort put into acquiring and enchanting an elite suit. Probably even more thought than before and perhaps as much effort too, although that effort will no longer be sitting for hours spamming the enchant spell until you hit three cherries on the enchant slot machine. It will be on acquiring gear that is correct for your needs to start with and then placing the right cherries on top.

Am I saying everything is going to be perfect coming out of the gate? No. I already said there will probably need to be some tweaks. But I believe they will be statistical tweaks and not wholesale changes to the new system. The update offers new depth that was obscured by the randomness of the old system.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:00 am 
Mortal

While their damage with a weapon is less than subpar, I still don't see why you would not wield a weapon. You won't be able to kill someone with SA, and if you do wow... I really don't want to stay around for the length of that battle.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:00 am 
Implementor

Galactus wrote:

I am having a hard time fathoming a reason why a shaman would decide to wear a doll instead of a shield, rather than instead of a weapon.

There was already one or more threads on this same topic. I happen to recall that Syn posted some cogent arguments. Go look them up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:05 am 
Mortal

Hey Edoras. Be careful what you wish for ...

Definitely not a fan of this change. And once again, no thought put into grandfathering of enchants or re-allocating stat points. Sad panda.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:06 am 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
Today was essentially the death of "prep time" and the return of the days of the "I win" spells - the fact that the old enchantment system was replaced by this current one is laughable. While the time sink behind enchanting might have been reduced slightly, the end results are laughable and make investing in a kit hardly worthwile.

I think you'll find that there is still going to be quite a lot of thought and effort put into acquiring and enchanting an elite suit. Probably even more thought than before and perhaps as much effort too, although that effort will no longer be sitting for hours spamming the enchant spell until you hit three cherries on the enchant slot machine. It will be on acquiring gear that is correct for your needs to start with and then placing the right cherries on top.

Am I saying everything is going to be perfect coming out of the gate? No. I already said there will probably need to be some tweaks. But I believe they will be statistical tweaks and not wholesale changes to the new system. This new system offers new depth that was obscured by the randomness of the old system.

While I agree there -could- be a lot of potential for the new system I think that you're also not understanding what it takes to be 'competitive' in PK with the current SK trend - the difference between the current system and the past system is, while it was certainly a time sink it was conceivable that you could actually put together a kit that gave you some sort of leverage in PK if you were willing to put in the time to get it there.

Several of us have done the math and as of right now, the high end kit that you're going to be able to put together with the same amount of time invested in enchanting is hardly worth the effort at all. As well, all of the current equipment in the game is going to need to be redone and tailored to accomodate the new system. The new system and the splitting of MP in to two categories also nerfs melee in a way that they're going to have to make the decision between getting the "no vaseline" treatment from either physical damage or spell damage and casters didn't even need that sort of buff to begin with.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:09 am 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
Galactus wrote:

There was already one or more threads on this same topic. I happen to recall that Syn posted some cogent arguments. Go look them up.

You seem to misunderstand what I am trying to say. Shamans -should- be wearing the spirit doll rather than a weapon because of the bonuses the spirit doll comes equipped with. What I am trying to convey to Muktar is that it's rather stupid to consider a spirit doll as a replacement to shields rather than consider the fact that shamans do not belong doing melee damage - they are a battle caster and their spells do more damage than any other spell set in the game if utilized properly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next