Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Code Update 11/24/2012 Q&A
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:12 am 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
Imperialistic_Babble wrote:
Galactus wrote:
True, dolls got a buff, but doesn't solve the problem of them always being weaker than a shield.

I am having a hard time fathoming a reason why a shaman would decide to wear a doll instead of a shield, rather than instead of a weapon.

There was already one or more threads on this same topic. I happen to recall that Syn posted some cogent arguments. Go look them up.

Yes, and I re-read the thread on it as a brush up. As healers, I would agree with Syn. As for tanks, who wants to be a rock in battle. I mean, you won't be doing anything... ever. You can't cast spells because you will be bashed/tripped, so the only damage you do is through SA. Sounds like hella fun, sign me up for a class that does nothing in combat.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:17 am 
Implementor

jhorleb wrote:
Hey Edoras. Be careful what you wish for ...

Definitely not a fan of this change. And once again, no thought put into grandfathering of enchants or re-allocating stat points. Sad panda.

Actually there thought put into it and extra work was done to remove the old enchants rather than let them persist. The endowment system has a completely different set of limitations. Letting you keep your old gear would be the same as letting you cheat, since no one else would be able to match it no matter how hard they tried.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:20 am 
Implementor

Dulrik wrote:
I am having a hard time fathoming a reason why a shaman would decide to wear a doll instead of a shield, rather than instead of a weapon.

There was already one or more threads on this same topic. I happen to recall that Syn posted some cogent arguments. Go look them up.

You seem to misunderstand what I am trying to say. Shamans -should- be wearing the spirit doll rather than a weapon because of the bonuses the spirit doll comes equipped with. What I am trying to convey to Muktar is that it's rather stupid to consider a spirit doll as a replacement to shields rather than consider the fact that shamans do not belong doing melee damage - they are a battle caster and their spells do more damage than any other spell set in the game if utilized properly.

Okay, I can see what you were trying to say now. Consider my response to be aimed just at Galactus.

Also, there's nothing that says a Shaman has to horde all their dolls. Other classes, particularly back-row classes, might find them attractive as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:21 am 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
jhorleb wrote:
Hey Edoras. Be careful what you wish for ...

Definitely not a fan of this change. And once again, no thought put into grandfathering of enchants or re-allocating stat points. Sad panda.

Actually there thought put into it and extra work was done to remove the old enchants rather than let them persist. The endowment system has a completely different set of limitations. Letting you keep your old gear would be the same as letting you cheat, since no one else would be able to match it no matter how hard they tried.

The point is no consideration was given for the time investment people had put in to each other, and to their own gear. Instead of just letting it all phase itself out via jloots, jail time confiscation etc, as would happen eventually you decided to [REDACTED] on everyone else and disregard their time commitment in favor of forcing people to play within the confines of the new system which is my main issue with the unrolling of this new package.

It is also the point of the new package. With the way the game currently is, with limitations of the new system you've made casters completely overpowering again and nerfed warriors something sincere thereby upsetting what little balance there was before.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:21 am 
Mortal

Dolls used to zap non-shamans. Did that change in the update also?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:23 am 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
Also, there's nothing that says a Shaman has to horde all their dolls. Other classes, particularly back-row classes, might find them attractive as well.

Unless I am missing a ninja change, other back row classes can't use spirit dolls because they zap non-shaman.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:23 am 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:

Unless I am missing a ninja change, other back row classes can't use spirit dolls because they zap non-shaman.

I was inb4u newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:29 am 
Implementor

Several of us have done the math and as of right now, the high end kit that you're going to be able to put together with the same amount of time invested in enchanting is hardly worth the effort at all. As well, all of the current equipment in the game is going to need to be redone and tailored to accomodate the new system. The new system and the splitting of MP in to two categories also nerfs melee in a way that they're going to have to make the decision between getting the "no vaseline" treatment from either physical damage or spell damage and casters didn't even need that sort of buff to begin with.

I can appreciate that some of the PK geniuses immediately put on their thinking caps and went into analytics mode. However, given that it's only been a couple of hours since the change went in, I am pretty sure their first set of snap judgements will not be prove to be final.

Hell, I've been thinking about it for about eight months, and have had several stellar PKers (sorry, I won't say who) come in to examine the system. Changes were made based on their feedback and then we had some other people look at it too. And after all of that, I'm STILL not sure exactly how it's going to work out. Too many variables have simultaneously changed. No matter how many smart people look at it in isolation, you can not tell exactly how it will turn out until you get dozens of people actually using it long enough to find the secret tricks.

And I am perfectly sincere when I wish you to have fun with that!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:31 am 
Implementor

Dulrik wrote:

I will admit I'd forgotten about that. But that could be changed...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:33 am 
Mortal

You've got me lost bro.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next