Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Should MR affect magical weapon damage?
Poll ended at Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:56 am
No, that's too strong. 58%  58%  [ 15 ]
Yes, it's fine the way it is. 38%  38%  [ 10 ]
Yes, but not as much as it does now. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 26
 Post subject: MR and magical weaponry
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:56 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
It's really dumb that someone with enough MR can nullify half or all of a weapons damage outright. Against ANY character with MR, people are better off wielding a toothpick from the bar than the life draining spheres of Subram-Dulzar or a coiled whip of negative energy, and that's absolutely [REDACTED]. All this does is discourage people from bothering with higher-level weaponry, and encourage people to roll MR barbs or go MR with their EQ, and going MR already bears enough rewards (Hello 100% magic immunity) in and of itself.

MR should not affect weapon damage at all. Either that, or MR should only work like AP does in resisting physical damage: Only on the affected slot. Howcome all the total MR someone is wearing or has trained prevents magical attacks on them as WELL as allowing them to resist all magical spells? If anything, the only MR that should affect physical strikes against someone is the MR that is on the piece of armor they're struck on.

Post subject: Re: MR and magical weaponry
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:11 am 
Mortal

Yeah, holy kryptonite, batman.

MR should have 0 effect on anything besides spells.

Not only is this horribly imbalancing, but it's absurd from just a common sense gameplay standpoint.

Why should the guy who gets the benefit of being completely immune to all spells with 0 effort also get to be completely immune to any and all top-tier weapons? lol

Dulrik, brosef. Between this and AoN, you're like punishing people for trying to kill MR barbs. They're like Superman, but with no Kryptonite.

I know that I, and a number of vets, are perfectly happy to just ignore the existence of MR barbs and just kill their friends later. PKing MR barbs is all risk and 0 reward, since nobody on your side is going to want their eq, and the only consumable they're going to have is...

(84236498236492368492384693286493264932864) a small green branch covered in red berries

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:20 am 
Mortal

RIGHT? Its why Syn was asking me a few days ago if she should train MR or not.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:21 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Prindle
Typically I'd tend to suggest that things like resistances and saves have a trade off.

I'd assume there should be a difference in magical protection versus magical resistance and therein would lie the benefit of choice and the trade off to be made. (Aside from all the other myriad of options available)

Gear choice should be like that, there shouldn't be a one stat plug to all vulnerabilities. I would think it should be spread out so that in the choosing you are forced to leave vulnerabilities.

NOW saying that I'm still not 100% clear on the roll differences between Magical Resistance and Magical Protection.

My understanding was that resistance assissted in saves, where protection was the flat percentage decrease in damage.

IF anythign I'd say that (based on my assumed understanding) Magical Protection should decrease elemental weapon damage, but magical resistance wouldn't help in those circumstances (as it's not a cast spell, and therefor not subject to spell saves)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:09 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
Aelandron wrote:
My understanding was that resistance assissted in saves, where protection was the flat percentage decrease in damage.

IF anythign I'd say that (based on my assumed understanding) Magical Protection should decrease elemental weapon damage, but magical resistance wouldn't help in those circumstances (as it's not a cast spell, and therefor not subject to spell saves)
Magical Resistance makes you likely to completely resist any spell, and is a completely separate check from will, fort and reflex. Whenever you see "abc resists the effects of your spell," or "abc gestures at xyz, but nothing happens" that means that their MR resisted the spell entirely and the spell did not affect them in any way: Although the more MR someone has, they'll actually be healed by spells that they resist, which is why MR barbarians can eat mistletoe (sanc and blindness) and heal for 15%.

In addition, unlike fort, will and reflex saves, magical resistance can be raised to 100% effectiveness, and although it can't be cast on jewelry, it stacks when enchanted on armor (Compared to fort/will/reflex, which doesn't stack when enchanted on jewelry and which can't be enchanted on armor). There's also no such thing as impairment for magical resistance, which there is for fort/will/reflex saves.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:37 am 
Mortal

My humble opinion is that no save should be 100%

I do believe in being able to fortify against magic, fortifying saves, etc. but there needs always be room for those lucky critical rolls. (However slim the odds).

In either case my opinion on the point in general stands, protection against magical weaponry should probably fall in the realm of magical protection, as opposed to magical resistance. (Given the current system)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:06 pm 
Mortal

I do think one should have the chance to reach 100% MR as it still carries the sacrifice of no healing magic or buffs. And I do like that Dulrik has given some buffs to MR barbs to allow them greater viability, but there is something to be said for the lack of preparation necessary. What if occassional sessions of suppression where required in order to rejuvinate one's trained MR? It could be built into the suppression skill or they would maybe need to learn another skill that would activate during suppression. This would be akin to eating or drinking when hungry or thirsty. If they had the capacity for 100% MR, it would only be after a successful session and it would start dropping after a little while. The longer they went without refreshing their MR, the worse it would get.

I also think it would be okay to make certain armor materials, specifically all heavy armor, to interfere with their MR.

And it might be good to look at just how much healing comes from resisting. I have a nonbarb character with some MR eq, and I'm quite surprised at just how much healing can be had, even without being 100% resistant.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:11 pm 
Mortal

zryych wrote:
I do think one should have the chance to reach 100% MR as it still carries the sacrifice of no healing magic or buffs. And I do like that Dulrik has given some buffs to MR barbs to allow them greater viability, but there is something to be said for the lack of preparation necessary. What if occassional sessions of suppression where required in order to rejuvinate one's trained MR? It could be built into the suppression skill or they would maybe need to learn another skill that would activate during suppression. This would be akin to eating or drinking when hungry or thirsty. If they had the capacity for 100% MR, it would only be after a successful session and it would start dropping after a little while. The longer they went without refreshing their MR, the worse it would get.

I also think it would be okay to make certain armor materials, specifically all heavy armor, to interfere with their MR.

And it might be good to look at just how much healing comes from resisting. I have a nonbarb character with some MR eq, and I'm quite surprised at just how much healing can be had, even without being 100% resistant.

I'd typically go for the 95% rule. Let spell casters have a 5% (roll of a 20) chance to land a spell (PRIOR) to other save checks.

I'm not about to comment on the gaining of health by resistance, as I'm not fully aware of the balancing mechanisms at play there, but if not being able to cast friendly spells is the trade off, one wonders.

BUT this point of minutia is actually shifting the topic at hand, which was specifically about magical weapons and their relation to Magic Resistance.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:16 pm 
Mortal

Allowing for MR to drop as time went on would at least mean that as things are, magical weapons would start doing more damage as well.

Edit: And some material like at least all heavy armor interfere with MR would also mean that traditional weaponry would be all the more effective on an MR barb.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:32 pm 
Mortal

zryych wrote:
Allowing for MR to drop as time went on would at least mean that as things are, magical weapons would start doing more damage as well.

Edit: And some material like at least all heavy armor interfere with MR would also mean that traditional weaponry would be all the more effective on an MR barb.

I'm not sure about diminishing returns or how you'd work that save the Barbarian skill, but if someone got max MR through other means what would that mean? For example how would you work diminishing returns on equipment?

No, my suggestion would remain to make the distinction between Magical Protection and Magical Resistance apply in this instance: Protection for the base damage reduction (which should apply to magical weaponry, Resistance for the spell saves - under which weaponry really wouldn't fall (unless the weapon cast a spell-like effect))

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next