VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Deeds, keys and ownership
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:11 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Vicasharie
evena wrote:
They'd be wiped at every scheduled reboot, but again, nothing stopping you.

I don't think we should discuss making rooms that save items past reboots. The potential for abuse is outrageous, especially with one-of-a-kind keys.

Even if you made the home's ability to hold things from thieves be only equivalent to at most half the player's ability? Or maybe the cost of the house is equivalent to its quality and thus how high of an item could be held in it with a maximum that could never reach what a player can of course. Then you could still hold things there... while not allowing the abuse of holding onto crazy stuff in just any old house.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:13 am 
Mortal

evena wrote:

I don't think we should discuss making rooms that save items past reboots. The potential for abuse is outrageous, especially with one-of-a-kind keys.

Except if you had to pay property taxes, including on what you were storing, it could possibly work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:16 am 
Mortal

zryych wrote:
evena wrote:

Except if you had to pay property taxes, including on what you were storing, it could possibly work.

Definitely a good idea... and if the taxes aren't paid then either the owner is hunted down by the local law enforcement to pay them or turn over the deed thereby forfeiting all that they have in the house to the local government.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:19 am 
Mortal

As long as the room can be accessed via other means (bash, cabal sekrat skill, and/or pick lock), I don't necessarily see a problem with it. If one of those skills are required to get in certain rooms that have been purchased/upgraded, then it will only create more RP on home raids. Also those with access to those skills will become that much more useful (not that they already are, just sayin'). More RP, means more classes will be represented and more classes represented, better for the game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:30 am 
Mortal

Galactus wrote:
As long as the room can be accessed via other means (bash, cabal sekrat skill, and/or pick lock), I don't necessarily see a problem with it. If one of those skills are required to get in certain rooms that have been purchased/upgraded, then it will only create more RP on home raids. Also those with access to those skills will become that much more useful (not that they already are, just sayin'). More RP, means more classes will be represented and more classes represented, better for the game.

I agree... I think that this capability built into the rooms would generate a lot of different RP opportunities... from busting in to steal from others (which would be another type of crime that could be reported) to forcing characters to maintain a certain level of coin to pay for it or fall into difficulties with the local judge/law... not to mention creating a home-place from which each player or even an RP family could then venture out.

You could even allow citizenship to change based on the location of the home and a few other requirements done with the local authorities. Thus you're not stuck being from one place forever but could actually immigrate to another with time. There could be quests involved to do this perhaps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:22 am 
Mortal

You can already immigrate to different lands, though it took me a long tjme to figure that out too. But this does also bring up the chance to tax noncitizens at higher rates than citizens. And the thieves guild in teron could take kickbacks to "secure" your property so people couldn't use uxmal as a hoarding paradise.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:46 am 
Mortal

I do not think houses should store gear at all. I do, however, feel that it probably wouldn't be too difficult to save houses. You buy the house. When you enter your house, you can change the description to be whatever you want. Oh, and the deed isn't an item. It's actually stored on the pfile. We don't really have any room in the Score command, but perhaps down where it says whether your hungry or thirsty, and how much experience you have, you could add another line if you own the deed to a house.

Code:
 oOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOo
 o [Scores] Ithorim, Rarksil - High Knight of the Blade - Abbot of the Fist  o
 o===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===-===o
 o    Status: Grand Master(1)   Race: Dwarf            Class: Paladin        o
 o   Kingdom: Zhenshi          Cabal: Fists of the White Swan (Leader)       o
 o     Coins: zero                                                           o
 o  Carrying: 0/14 items                    Load: 1.3/425.0 pounds           o
 o    Health: Excellent       Mental: Pulsating     Physical: Fresh          o
 o Attribute points: 0        Wimpy:   0 percent    Mode: Kill/defensive     o
 o You are standing.                                                         o
 o You have begun the second-half of the journey to the next level.          o
 o You have played 297 hour(s) so far.                                       o
 o You have 0 of 40 loyalty tokens available to spend.                       o
 o Your address is 123 Tenkawa Road.                                         o
 oOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOoOOOo

The key to the door, however, is an item. Non-unique. If someone kills you and takes it and finds your house, they then have access to the description of the room and can trash it. Change the description to be whatever they want, maybe add in bright pink text "A giant butterfly is painted over the fireplace." for funsies! Keys are no-save except for on the character that owns the deed. Homeowner's Association came by like thieves in the night and saw you had a key to a house that didn't belong to you, so they took it.

There is a keymaker NPC. He is the maker of keys. If you own a deed to a house, you can be all like "Hey gramps, make me a key." He will make a key for your house. Only people with a deed to a house can get a key made. It costs money. Don't know how much. First key comes with the purchase of the house. If you lose your key, buy another.

So yeah, TL;DR - houses don't save any items on reboot. Players can imitate furniture, even gear ("A pedestal is here with the helm of the gods perched on top"), in the description of the room. Keys are non-unique, and the key to any house can only be made for the deed owner. Deed isn't an item but more of an attribute on the character.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 am 
Mortal

That's a very interesting idea as well Rodwen... I think it could really work well for the RP purposes I've been talking about here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:19 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Toji
Toji is a great fan of squatting, as well. There are several key items in the game as people mentioned. Some are also saved. Others give access to more private and safe no-gate areas and their keys do not save.

As for real player housing with item storage, the only way I could possibly think that this could work without abuse and hoarding would be an implementation of the points below:
* A furniture flag that allows a non-unique to stay saved in a room.
* All player house doors being bash-able, ethereal-able and pick-able (Sure, go ahead, take the risk to store that item in your house, rather than in your person. You will go to sleep eventually. Read: Burglary).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:32 am 
Immortal

SK Character: Achernar
I actually like the idea of player edit-able rooms. I don't know about adding containers and whatnot. The key idea works for me too. Although just about anybody has access to at least one of pick/eth/bash/(stuff).