Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Scribe and one shot wonders.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:44 pm 
Mortal

Charm person was made unable to be scribed because it was considered abused. FoD has a long cast time and rarely kills anything.

How is it that spells like petrification are able to remain scribe? The whole purpose of a one shot spell is to have a trade off. For a sorceror it has a long cast time for a chance to instantly take a person out of the battle. Scribing eliminates this and, by luck and patience, you can essentially get two, sometimes even three on a single scroll. After that it's only just spam reciting until one of em takes hold, which they will unless you have really good enchantments.

I find it a bit silly at some of the offensive utilities scrolls can provide. The ability to instantly mess up formations by taking things out of combat and such, not only that petrifying and then depetrifying a person and looting them anyways.

Case in point, I feel that scribe takes the disadvantages of these spells away. Either the spells shouldn't exist or scrolls shouldn't utilize art and be capped at moderate power. Having storebought powerful / strong scrolls with petrification is nuts, in my opinion. It's just an observation. If you're going to make charm person unable to be scribed, petrification is right up there with it. It essentially does the same thing by taking the person out of formation when you depetrify them as well as strippin them of buffs.

When you compare scrolls to staves, staves have a very long lag time. Scrolls aren't burdened by this at all and you can easily recite a scroll every round, round and a half. When someone can pop out two petrifications a round via one scroll, that's kinda messed up.

Post subject: Re: Scribe and one shot wonders.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:54 pm 
Mortal

How is this a problem?

Charm person has a far higher success rate than petrification and other spells, that's why it was a problem. And nobody uses charm person to roleplay, it's just to get a kill, loot, and teabag. Petrification and other one-shot spells are meant for that.

So what is the real problem. Did someone petrify one of your characters recently?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:58 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Retired Troll
Petrification is way easier to resist than charm person.

Getting petrified by a scroll means you didn't enchant or you got really unlucky.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:43 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
ninja_ardith wrote:

So what is the real problem. Did someone petrify one of your characters recently?

This is probably the case.

Baldric wrote:
Petrification is way easier to resist than charm person.

Getting petrified by a scroll means you didn't enchant or you got really unlucky.

And this is also true. No one aims petrification scrolls at PCs for a reason.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:55 pm 
Mortal

I don't see it as a problem. It is a valid tactic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:43 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Caric
Have you ever actually tried to make a scroll of double petrify. I hope you have some spare time you dont need to enchant in because its not easy if your not going for the weak strength scrolls you best have a bank behind you as well because you will be spending a lot of coin on it. If you invest into prep work you should probably have an edge on those who have not invested similar time effort or coin. Given how ineffective casting in actual combat is against a PC scrolls are the basic fundamentals of spell combat. Take them away and you will start complaining about triple acid blast scrolls or quintuple magic missile scrolls actually I should look into one of those quintuple magic missile scrolls.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:59 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Theodoric
Cordance wrote:
Given how ineffective casting in actual combat is against a PC

You lost me here...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:43 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
You can't quad-scribe.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:21 pm 
Mortal

In PVP combat, time is the most valuable resource. Scribing lets you turn transmute prep time into free time by nature of not having to concentrate on a spell. In some sense, that time trade-off is what justifies the scribe existing. Perhaps one man's "taking advantage" is another man's "valid tactic."

Now that I've gotten the canned response out of the way, I'll observe that certain rare and high-level scrolls do circulate around. Make friends with the players who know where they are and have access to them, and maybe your characters can enjoy one or both of these benefits.

It would be interesting if every form of magical consummable creation skill carried with it an XP cost. At present, time can be traded with no practical ceiling. It does little to encourage casual playstyle in the PVP circuit; in a lot of other environments, we can observe logarithmic curves with decaying returns on that kind of investment.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:56 am 
Mortal

grep wrote:
It would be interesting if every form of magical consummable creation skill carried with it an XP cost. At present, time can be traded with no practical ceiling. It does little to encourage casual playstyle in the PVP circuit; in a lot of other environments, we can observe logarithmic curves with decaying returns on that kind of investment.

Suggestions like these should be a bannable offense.