Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Alignments
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:36 pm 
Mortal

I would really like it if there was a way to change alignments. I know, I know, bear with me. Let me specify/elaborate:

I wish there were a way to change alignments
- restricted to master level
- which reset you to level 1
- with an 'are you sure' type prompt to keep accidents from happening

Why? You take away any possibility of redemption or corruption actually happening in game on any wider level when you keep alignments static. In order to prevent it being abused, you could restrict it from certain options, like all deep elves have to stay evil/all elves good, etc, and you could keep it to 1 alignment change during the career of the character at that, so that it had weight.

What does anyone else think of this? Maybe I'm just a sucker for a redemption story.

Post subject: Re: Alignments
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:33 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
Redemption stories belong in different games. Static alignments are an integral part of the overarching mythos of SK's metaphysics. This is a bad idea.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:16 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Toji
Personally, I like this idea. A lot.

Then again, OA's reply pretty much sums up the stance of the entire pbase over the past few years about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:45 am 
Mortal

It could just be my husband's wicked google-fu, but if not, then most of us safely know about the log site, and the outcry that someone's alignment has caused recently, and I think having a system in place that allows it indiscriminately but at such a cost you have to more or less reset your master level pc should be a good enough safeguard to keep you from abusing it, and limiting it to once allows for a paradigm shift at some point via rp.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:48 am 
Mortal

This idea is better than the suggestion of removing muderholes from cabal HQs after loltasticly being destroyed by a warlock.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:46 am 
Implementor

I'm not against allowing alignment change in certain rare situations. That's why it can and does happen about once every 1-2 (real) years. This mechanic would keep it pretty rare, because only people truly interested in their character's story would bother to restart their character from level 1. All the PVP types would just go ahead and start a different character instead because it would be too boring.

However, I am still principally opposed to any alignment change that would be illegal under character creation. No non-evil deep elves. No dogmatic sprites. No selfish griffons and paladins. Etc etc. In addition to starting over at level 1, I think this should also either cost loyalty tokens and/or require admin approval due to long-running RP (AKA the same as the current process).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:33 am 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
I'm not against allowing alignment change in certain rare situations. That's why it can and does happen about once every 1-2 (real) years. This mechanic would keep it pretty rare, because only people truly interested in their character's story would bother to restart their character from level 1. All the PVP types would just go ahead and start a different character instead because it would be too boring.

However, I am still principally opposed to any alignment change that would be illegal under character creation. No non-evil deep elves. No dogmatic sprites. No selfish griffons and paladins. Etc etc. In addition to starting over at level 1, I think this should also either cost loyalty tokens and/or require admin approval due to long-running RP (AKA the same as the current process).

All valid points and all costs that only a dedicated RPer would be willing to pay. Putting in a mechanic like this, however, will mean that alignment change will no longer happen once every 1-2 RL years, but more often. So, D... This means you're actually considering adding this feature to a list of "things to code"?
:D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:40 am 
Implementor

I'm not rolling up my sleeves to write code just yet. But interested to see what else gets said in response.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:55 am 
Mortal

To take your limitations and push them a step further, I'm adding the following to the idea:

If Player A wants to pick an alignment not supported by his current class, then that class would switch to another, in a combination that is pre-defined. For example:

- Paladin tries to be something other than principled, or Hellion something other than Aberrant? Both get switched to Merc.
- Necro tries to be something other than diabolic? Translate it as "I'm leaving this dark, necromantic past behind and from now on I'll only work more accepted means of arcana" and switch him to Sorceror.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:05 am 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:

I guess my main question would be: if this is allowed, when someone starts RPing outside their alignment, how is that punishable/not punishable?

I thought alignments were supposed to be the 'very core', when you can change that, doesn't that just open the flood gates to things?