Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Which options are best for retaining and exciting EXISTING players?
Poll ended at Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:54 am
Quest upgrades (More, easier, better transparency, etc) 9%  9%  [ 40 ]
Ways to communicate RP (Journals, Think Channel, etc) 5%  5%  [ 23 ]
Tradeskills (forging, dyeing, mining, etc) 10%  10%  [ 43 ]
Reduce effectiveness of spell items (wands, staves, potions, etc) 4%  4%  [ 17 ]
Heroes (not necessarily heroes of old) 8%  8%  [ 35 ]
Official info sharing (Wiki and/or Guide Forums) 8%  8%  [ 36 ]
Out of game communication (Ex: CB/TB Channels on FB messenger, note boards via forums, email notifications for game events) 4%  4%  [ 16 ]
Make the game more interesting before Master (methods to be discussed) 5%  5%  [ 23 ]
Make the game less difficult/more casual (methods to be discussed) 6%  6%  [ 28 ]
Balance melee and spell damage better 5%  5%  [ 23 ]
Change CRS (Ex: No ability removal, "enforce" losing, to be discussed) 9%  9%  [ 37 ]
"End Game" content (methods to be discussed) 7%  7%  [ 30 ]
More regulation: Hoarding (other types? to be discussed) 9%  9%  [ 39 ]
More use for loyalty tokens (Ex: improve skills, to be discussed) 10%  10%  [ 44 ]
Total votes : 434
 Post subject: Re: Vote: Best changes to retain/excite existing players
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:30 pm 
Implementor

radg wrote:
I would like to see quests or campaigns that would be PVE centric and be repeatable available only under mentor status to avoid abuse. It would be nice that upon completing a kill campaign or a collection quest for the cabal it would provide all members a temporary boost or temporary access to a tier of skills.

While I hadn't thought of this specific idea, I have definitely tried to brainstorm ideas for how lower level players can make contributions to their higher-level team. Some variation on this idea might be a good fit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:37 pm 
Mortal

Make trade skills independent of level. Allow people to devote time into performing some mundane trade skill while RPing. Have an Amish sewing circle for people to work on items and chit chat.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:34 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
theDrifter wrote:
It's probably because it is not obvious how a character goes about getting an IMM to build something for them. There is no formal system so if you have no experience it can seem like some players just know the imms and can get something done. Maybe there could be at least a help file or sticky on the forum that explains what it takes.

What would this help file (or files) be called? I am certainly unopposed to writing one or more; help gods/help immortals is all in-character info, and it doesn't point to the wizlist. The wizlist doesn't explain that IMMs will help with building and furthering plots, either. I don't feel like contacting an appropriate staff member is an issue for most vets as the contacts list is here on the forum.

So, what would you search for if you were trying to figure it out so that I can make it so?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:56 pm 
Mortal

help help

Or maybe add a paragraph at the bottom of help immortals to see help contacts for OOC communication with the immortals. help contacts then explains where the immortal contact sticky is. or, better yet, should just contain that information and get updated appropriately.

The detailed story on "How to get something built" is probably more appropriate for a forum sticky. Or should be some instructions followed by a blurb written by each active builder on a page on a wiki. I can imagine different people like making different things. It'd be cool to be able to find and approach the guy most interested in whatever project I was hoping to get a sponsor for. It's what the vets initiated into the mysteries get to benefit from, may as well make it accessible information for everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:49 pm 
Mortal

How about "help build request", and referencing that in "help roleplay"? That strikes me as the most likely starting place for an individual request. Cabals, tribunals, and religions have OOC forums to work with and learn from.

I don't see the process as being difficult. An immortal was kind enough to implement a build request of mine, with no prior interaction, just by my sending a PM to the right KD. But I agree we could use some encouragement for this. I would never have had the nerve before seeing tribunal members making requests in their forums. Nor would I have understood the concerns immortals sometimes have with requests.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:55 am 
Mortal

Meissa wrote:
I find this an interesting observation. Since I became an IMM about a year ago, I have witnessed and/or personally been involved in the implementation of at least a dozen player-orchestrated additions to the game. They have ranged in scale from simple permanent items to temples to GRPs with permanent fixtures. This is something that several players list among their favorite things about SK -- that they actually do matter.

I did not mean to imply that you or any staff member does not do much for the game. I know you all have at most times a thankless job. As was said by others, to me it does seem like an intimidating task to request something in the game created. How many projects at one time is each staff member working on, is my idea worth having someone take time away from something else. Those are some thoughts that go through my head when I think of making a request.

Which leads me to another idea I had was a limited out of game editor that players could use to create content and then submit them for review, subject to changes or a waiting list. This would not diminish the quality of content everyone is used to from the staff but give them a pool to pull from when available. I don't know if the game would have this ability.

Sorry for the long winded post as I got off on a tangent with the editor. I was more so speaking about a sense of achievement early on. Where the game fuels RP. The feel, look and NPCs in certain areas would change dynamically depending on player’s actions. The smallest example I can think of is a gladiator fighting for his freedom in the arena. He leaves a champion and when he returns the NPC's recognize his accomplishment.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:40 am 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
radg wrote:
I would like to see quests or campaigns that would be PVE centric and be repeatable available only under mentor status to avoid abuse. It would be nice that upon completing a kill campaign or a collection quest for the cabal it would provide all members a temporary boost or temporary access to a tier of skills.

While I hadn't thought of this specific idea, I have definitely tried to brainstorm ideas for how lower level players can make contributions to their higher-level team. Some variation on this idea might be a good fit.

This to me would excite me to know that my actions would have an effect on the outcome of a raid for my teammates. I think factions in general should be easier to get into as a recruit but require effort to become a respected member.

A tiered system that was more about effort than level I feel would be good.

Also I am not sure how well this will be received but a cross faction channel and who list I think would be good. To me it would create more of a community feel. Meaning that if you are in an alliance with a faction you would share a channel and see each other on the who list or a separate toggle for this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:54 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Noragh, Rhakeesh, Eralenax
The best way I can think of to make the game more playable to casual gamers is to limit the time required to 'properly' equip a character, OR eliminate the high probability of losing all your loot upon death.

Addressing either of these issues would encourage pvp and world exploration, but personally I like the time required to equip and enchant as it is currently.

The easiest way to resolve the second issue that I can think of is to make player corpses indestructible and limit the quantity of items players can take from the corpse of a fellow player. EG: If each player can only take a single item from any corpse, your team of three tracks down and kills three enemies, your team could take three items per corpse for a total of nine items.

Personally I like this idea very much because a full loot or a 'junk loot' has always, in my mind, been considered a very rude thing to do to another player. Forcibly limiting player rudeness and capacity for griefing in this manner would be a boon to the game.

**EDIT** I also like the idea of some form of repeatable quest that would cast call armor. I've lost so many full suits due to exploration deaths coupled with insufficient player-base to accomplish a return trip... knowing that at the last extreme there was some way to get ones possessions back (possibly at the cost of a tick or two of experience?) would greatly encourage world exploration. Certain NPCs could be modified to destroy corpses to add a level of real danger to specific fights.

Last edited by Nokuro on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:19 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Theodoric
I don't think this is a key retention issue but it may be a helpful one for attracting new players, since new players are the ones who typically need to explore and are more prone to dying in odd, unrecoverable ways. I like the idea of a call armor quest but I'm not sure how it would be structured to be repeatable without gear. I also think it'd make for strange situations with PK. Overall, I don't see equipment looting as a key issue for this game.

Even if PK might be encouraged by having loot be soulbound, players who do not have gear would be discouraged by the fact that there would literally be no way they could get it short of convincing the holder to give it to them. Just don't see how that would net to a more excited, involved group.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:30 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Noragh, Rhakeesh, Eralenax
Quote:
I don't think this is a key retention issue

I listed this because it is the exact reason I stopped playing, and remains the one issue that keeps me from returning permanently. For me, it is THE key retention issue.

I feel that most rage-deletions are caused by the loss of loot, so I must disagree with you again with regard to retention.

Quote:
...players who do not have gear would be discouraged by the fact that there would literally be no way they could get it...

This is why my solution includes the capacity to loot items from other players, it simply limits it as each time you kill someone you can take another item.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next