Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fixing Cabals and CRS: Reinforcement Timers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:10 pm 
Mortal

Hello Dulrik,

Part 2 of my quest to propose changes that are proven in other games to work effectively.

The Problem: Currently, it is possible for any cabal with sufficient player base to log in at odd hours and swipe every other cabal's relic unchallenged. Cabals without huge full-time player bases cannot defend themselves.

The Solution: Although many games use this type of a system, I am directly suggesting an idea from one game in particular.

One of the most successful high-strategy MMOs in the world (I will not go into which here) has a complex system to deal with structures in the game. Because this game happens 24/7, just like SK, and has more spreadsheet action than even SK can shake 10 sticks at, they implemented a very successful feature for structures called a reinforcement timer.

The way this works is that the structure has a set timer, which requires resources to use, that dictates when a structure will approximately come out of reinforcement and be vulnerable.

I propose that a similar system can be made:

If a cabal has sufficient coin in their coffers, once the outer guardian of a cabal HQ is defeated, a cabal HQ goes into reinforcement and becomes invulnerable for a time and then the HQ doors fall and both parties may engage in a battle. The attacking faction will have a certain amount of time to complete the deed before (given sufficient coin in the coffers), the gates re-lock and the ability to set up or enter reinforcement is restored.

The longer the reinforcement time is from the first siege, the more coin it should cost. Insufficient coin will cause it to come out early or not refresh the ability to enter reinforcement. This will force cabals to defend not only their Relic but their HQ. It will also force Cabals to be active enough to maintain their coffers.

The reinforcement timer should be able to be set for something like... Sometime during the SK day that occurs exactly 24 or 48 hours from the time of the first siege. So if you put the HQ into reinforcement at 8:02pm on Monday, it will come out at a random time during the SK day at 8:02pm on the following Wednesday.

For some reason, I feel like 2 days is possibly the most fair, but you might have a different time frame in mind Big D. As always, we trust in your wisdom.

This would mitigate both the desire for attacking cabals to force a response and cause substantial effect even if they are unsuccessful, while allowing the defending cabals time to prepare and arrive.

Implementation: This would probably be more difficult to employ. Although there are systems with count downs like the SK jail system.... Creating an impassable barrier that will still allow cabal members inside may be difficult? I feel like this has been done plenty of times in SK before though.

I think, however, that this sort of fix is desperately needed and outweighs the difficulty. Furthermore, if implemented this system works elsewhere.

PS: As with my other post. I will not reply to this thread. I have gone a long time without posting on these forums and I maintain my tradition.

Post subject: Re: Fixing Cabals and CRS: Reinforcement Timers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:21 pm 
Mortal

Maybe we could lock this thread since OP doesn't want to engage in any discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:23 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Xasuki
Or maybe other people could discuss this topic rather than locking the thread on a whim?

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:28 pm 
Mortal

Lead by example and I'm sure you'll attract followers.

I think the merit of the topic is self-evident; obviously, OP has mistakenly used a forum to write an e-mail.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:51 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Xasuki
I have opinions, but since you're in troll mode... Oh, wait, you're always in troll mode. Either way, since you are you, I tend to keep them to myself.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:06 pm 
Implementor

grep wrote:
Maybe we could lock this thread since OP doesn't want to engage in any discussion.

Since this is the gameplay forum, Ezeant's well written post is welcome fodder for discussion. The OP's participation is not required. If you do not wish to contribute to said discussion, feel free to not post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:05 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Caric
I feel one major change that would enhance the too and fro of CTF would be a 3rd guardian. Outer guardian guards the door. Holder guardian stands between the door and relics, serves as the holder of enemy relics. Inner guardian holds your relics. This would mean you could attack and steal back your relic without ending up with theirs. Making the counter steal a tactical choice. Three guardians would make it easier to defend to some degree, however attacking and taking back your relic would be the same level of challenge but stealing their relic as well would be significantly harder. It would force attackers to spend longer in the keeps given the summoned guards more of a chance to wear them down in the situation when they are odd time relic stealing. With the decay timer on relics this would also make it harder to walk in steal your relic back then steal theirs in a single attack.

I also think that abilities from relics should drain and restore over time. Be it one ability for every 24 hours for 3 days or 1 every 7 days for 3 weeks. Time line should either be same losing as gaining back or perhaps gained back at double the rate. The logic behind it is if someone ninja steal your relic and you are able to grab it back quickly (with your cabal powers for the attack) you are not losing a war but having a too and fro. If they are able to maintain your relic for a time your cabal powers start to drain away and you are in a bad spot you likely need to start discussing surrender or marshal more of your numbers. This is also true for ninja stealing your relic back only to have it taken again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:36 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
Cordance wrote:
I feel one major change that would enhance the too and fro of CTF would be a 3rd guardian. Outer guardian guards the door. Holder guardian stands between the door and relics, serves as the holder of enemy relics. Inner guardian holds your relics. This would mean you could attack and steal back your relic without ending up with theirs. Making the counter steal a tactical choice. Three guardians would make it easier to defend to some degree, however attacking and taking back your relic would be the same level of challenge but stealing their relic as well would be significantly harder. It would force attackers to spend longer in the keeps given the summoned guards more of a chance to wear them down in the situation when they are odd time relic stealing. With the decay timer on relics this would also make it harder to walk in steal your relic back then steal theirs in a single attack.

This is a terrible idea for so many, many reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:40 am 
Implementor

ObjectivistActivist wrote:

Feel free to elucidate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:29 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
Dulrik wrote:
ObjectivistActivist wrote:

Feel free to elucidate.

The first and most significant reason is that this will only serve to widen the gap between the "can" and "cannots" in CRS. There's already a ton of people in the game who can't manage CRS as it is now, and a few people who find it to be a cake walk. Those few people are not going to be significantly hampered by an extra speed bump, whereas those who cannot manage to do relic raids now are never going to get through the third guardian.

The next reason it's a terrible idea is that if you really want to extend the duration of CRS events, there's much better ways to go about it. Altering the layout of the HQs is probably easier and more effective. It's always been a mystery to me why organizations whose entire purpose is made manifest in a single relic would put it right in front of their front door. Making it more like a maze to get to the inner guardian would add atmosphere and extend the time that raiders are actually required to be inside the HQ, not to mention giving defenders a better shot at the "running battle" style of defense that's used in CRS anyways. I mean, in books and movies, the protagonists attacking the enemy stronghold are never like "Hey, look at this. We kicked in the front gate and what we were looking for is right here! Whew. That was a lot easier than expected. Thank goodness for design flaws, eh boys?" They've got serious obstacles to overcome, puzzles to solve, swarms of guards to either fight or evade. That's what makes it interesting, and the same could be done in SK with relative ease.

The third reason it's a terrible idea is that it actually makes the job of debuffing an enemy cabal easier for those who already find CRS to be lacking in significant challenge. Taking an enemy relic on a one-relic guardian is not exactly challenging. If you can't even buff your guardian with enemy relics, then the job gets even easier for those coming to gank your stuff.

The fourth reason it's a terrible idea is that it adds yet more coin grinding for leadership characters who are often in a situation where they have enough coin grinding to do as it is. It's all fine and dandy to say "well, share the responsibility with the rest of the cabal" but the practical reality of the situation is it usually ends up falling to one or two people to keep the coffers full, and that burns them out quickly enough as it is. Adding another 6 obs to the bank draft every time there's an attack just puts in more downtime between PK events, creates burnout in leadership, and works against the stated purpose of the CRS system in the first pace. CRS is meant to encourage PvP conflict and provide a venue for it, not dissuade people from engaging in it.

Look, there's other reasons, but I've already got a wall of text here so I'm going to wrap this post up. Adding a third guardian isn't the way to fix CRS, from any angle. If the objective of this idea is to have enemy relics returnable more easily, a "win/loss" state does that more effectively and properly. If the goal is to provide better protection for cabal relics, there are design and build-level solutions that accomplish that objective more cleanly and effectively. If the objective is to extend CRS events, again build-level solutions are more effective and will not widen an already gaping chasm of difference between the "Cans" and "Cannots" in CRS.