Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Civility, Transparency, End Game
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:36 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Arkex, Chronis, Azoreth, Kyln
jreid_1985 wrote:
I still cringe at that spec choice. If I recall correctly, part of your original intention with the throwing axe was to actually throw it from the 3rd row at casters/clothies. You could literally buy an infinite supply from the old kytar area. But yeah, back on topic.

There was Kytar or nerina's nooby zone that had crates with weapons. 5 throwing axes per reset tick. I never did think that it was very effective. Theowing from the back row, that is. But it would have been cool to successfully pull it off in pk. That's what I get for listening to vets tell me what to spec in. Lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:05 am 
Mortal

Trosis wrote:
jreid_1985 wrote:
I still cringe at that spec choice. If I recall correctly, part of your original intention with the throwing axe was to actually throw it from the 3rd row at casters/clothies. You could literally buy an infinite supply from the old kytar area. But yeah, back on topic.

There was Kytar or nerina's nooby zone that had crates with weapons. 5 throwing axes per reset tick. I never did think that it was very effective. Theowing from the back row, that is. But it would have been cool to successfully pull it off in pk. That's what I get for listening to vets tell me what to spec in. Lol

[FLAME REMOVED]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:45 pm 
Mortal

Yo Nashira, !@#$% you.

I'm all for the end game being improved. Especially for light armors.

But Barbs and mercs still need a wimp. Hedgehog is worthless against their insane accuracy especially against massives.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:09 pm 
Mortal

Baldric wrote:
I greatly appreciate Nashira's tone and openness to dialogue in this thread.

I feel the need to bring something up that may or may not have already been considered by the IMMs. If the 5 innate enchant as maximum rule is in effect, there won't be gear that is good enough "as is." 5 enchants is not enough to be l33t. You have to add enchantments to it. We all know that in order to properly enchant a suit, you have to acquire it several times due to fading/blowing up. In order to get any use out of gear like Ephialtis' kit, you would need a group of veterans with a whole day at their disposal who were willing to spend that entire day on one other character's gear and were capable of killing Ephialtis over and over and over. This pretty much won't happen. The portal rings made it possible to enchant these suits over a period of days, but that has been taken away now.

Most of the elite gear in the game that is actually hard to get, is actually worthless because it is never good enough to wear without enchanting first, and it is impossible to get the gear enough times in a row to enchant it properly. This is a problem. If Dulrik wants there to be gear that is extremely difficult to get, but appropriately l33t, he needs to get rid of the maximum-of-5-innate-enchantments rule.

There are ways around it, but for instance when it was done in the Iron Citadel, it was all reverted, because [REDACTED] the playerbase.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:38 pm 
Immortal (Inactive)

ninja_ardith wrote:
Yo Nashira, !@#$% you.

I'm all for the end game being improved. Especially for light armors.

But Barbs and mercs still need a wimp. Hedgehog is worthless against their insane accuracy especially against massives.

There's some new decent light armor.

You may be right about barbs and mercs, but class balance is beyond the scope of this particular topic.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:27 pm 
Mortal

Not sure if ardith realizes that barbs and mercs just took a hit with the nerf bat recently.

Would like to see more transparency, as opposed to ninja nerfs and maybe some updates and code changes as they happen.

Maybe 'Hey we nerfed a few items in area A, but buffed a few things in area B. As for the exact details, we would have to learn those on our own.

I find it strange that its getting harder and harder to build a decent kit, and the knowledge of getting to certain areas that hold the new and improved items (Hopefully with exceptional will/fort) is leaving with people who have stopped playing. I recommend that all players use the identify spell liberally, just to double check that your items have not been nerfed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:10 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Arkex, Chronis, Azoreth, Kyln
Doesn't the nerf bat only change items that respawn during he reboots?
Wudan's mr set had nerfed items and the had the original innates. That's why it was so sought after, right?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:15 pm 
Mortal

Changes to an item seem to be able to both replace instances of it in inventory and to respect instances of it in inventory. We know this because several players have been identifying classic, reliable items to find them suddenly less effective, but we also know -- if memory serves -- that Wudan had items that didn't appear to be so affected.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:27 pm 
Mortal

More importantly, and more on topic, in all these discussions of risk and reward, when designing treasure for what are essentially 2-9 man raids, has it ever been considered among the staff that if the rewards are gone -- because all one copies of the ultimate sword of ultimateness have been claimed, for example -- then there will be zero incentives to take on the risks? Furthermore, has it been considered that because the rewards are limited, the system provides something of a buff to people who keep secrets and don't invite new people to potentially claim items?

This fundamental scarcity mechanic is why SK hasn't and still won't be able to have consistently-enjoyed end game PVE content, and it is why I am very unexcited about any crafting system that will have to somehow work within what most players I've read posts from find to be crushing constraints.

Have the planners decided that this, in fact, isn't a problem, or has it not been discussed?

The feeling I get is that rot timers are being used to keep things in the game lately. So far, I've seen such an approach basically just cause that content to be written off as a hassle.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:21 pm 
Immortal (Inactive)

There is more gear per player now than there has ever been. I was astounded at some of the stuff I saw just sitting there when I came back last year. Gear scarcity is something to keep in mind but not a huge problem at the moment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next