VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Religious Verification via c 'create food'
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:30 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Arkex, Chronis, Azoreth, Kyln
Is that cool to do?
If you trick them, then by all means. But demanding it? I felt like I heard somewhere that it isn't cool.
It's old news. So it's nbd. Just curiosity.

Post subject: Re: Ainhoa - a small shadow
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:44 pm 
Mortal

Trosis wrote:
Is that cool to do?
If you trick them, then by all means. But demanding it? I felt like I heard somewhere that it isn't cool.
It's old news. So it's nbd. Just curiosity.

I didn't think it was cool to do. I mentioned it ICly to a few people and they all thought it was pretty poor form, even IC. Gave me the push I needed to make things official religiously for Ainhoa though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:45 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Reinald
As far as I remember, this was a part of Ainhoa's attempt to immigrate to Taslamar and she volunteered to clear her name. Given her affiliations and background no one was sympathetic to that ever happening. Making her religious affiliations clear in an indisputable way was how my character decided to deal with the situation instead of outright denying the request partially due to tons of OOC rumors going about and other people's refusal to deal with the matter properly. In fact, I think I've sat and talked with Ainhoa on several occasions instead of casting petrification simply because my character believed that accepting any rumor or statement that wasn't supported by hard evidence was a sin to Dulrik and that being objective and fair was a matter of life and death.

It's not as if my character ever intended to seem cool to people rp'ing schemers. I intended to make him a complete [REDACTED] to them. Using gameplay elements to that effect is a pretty traditional way to see through various things. True sight is a prayer/spell after all, as is create food.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:01 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
I disagree. Using create food to identify someone takes advantage of a much more OOC aspect of the game than an IC one, especially with respect to trying to identify whether or not someone follows the god that is supposed to be the epitome of all things that are untrue. IC reasoning would lead you to believe that the god of lies would, if anything, be capable of allowing his followers to mimic other faiths within the small cantrip of create food.

Given how long it's been against the rules to use cabal guardians to verify that someone isn't part a certain cabal, you should have known better than to use create food to be a legitimate IC basis to verify someone's religion.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:10 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Rolf
It isn't something that I would've thought about, using create food like that. I doubt I would've considered it against the rules if it had been something I came up with. I can accept that it is against the rules, though. We need some mystery in the game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:17 pm 
Mortal

Edoras wrote:
Given how long it's been against the rules to use cabal guardians to verify that someone isn't part a certain cabal, you should have known better than to use create food to be a legitimate IC basis to verify someone's religion.

Translation: given how something entirely different has been against the rules, I should have known better than to do something that wasn't against the rules.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:23 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
They seem pretty similar to me. Both are features that involve interacting with a hard-coded feature that wasn't created to be used as a verification tool. A cabal outer guardian wouldn't "out" his own cabal member, in the same way that Thuban wouldn't "out" his followers by giving them a spell that so blatantly demonstrates they follow him. But, OOCly everyone knows that saying "enter" to a cabal guardian lets you in if you're in the group, just like everyone knows OOCly that casting create food reveals your religion. It's still bad RP to rely on that OOC knowledge of mechanics in-game.

But we can agree to disagree, this thread is about Ainhoa.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:34 pm 
Mortal

A cabal guardian is a scripted npc that cross-checks a member list of some form with a pc that gives it a keyword and yes, if you suspend dispelief, a supernatural golem probably wouldn't out his members. How can a spell/prayer, especially one exclusive to a faith/profession be compared to that? I've seen paladins get challenged to prove their profession through casting holy words, necromancers being challenged to cast mirror images or enchant things etc. It's just a very typical way to ask someone for his credentials. Any fictional or nonfictional society would have some form of credentials. In a game like SK the best proof for having an ability is to use it.

In any case, I might be mistaken since this was over six months ago but Ainhoa was never coerced into doing anything. I'd even check logs from back then but I don't consider this very serious. We already had plenty IC reasons to be very suspicious of her, this was just a way to generate better IC roleplay.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:32 pm 
Mortal

Erik wrote:
A cabal guardian is a scripted npc that cross-checks a member list of some form with a pc that gives it a keyword and yes, if you suspend dispelief, a supernatural golem probably wouldn't out his members. How can a spell/prayer, especially one exclusive to a faith/profession be compared to that? I've seen paladins get challenged to prove their profession through casting holy words, necromancers being challenged to cast mirror images or enchant things etc. It's just a very typical way to ask someone for his credentials. Any fictional or nonfictional society would have some form of credentials. In a game like SK the best proof for having an ability is to use it.

I agree with this

Post subject: Re: Religious Verification via c 'create food'
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:20 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
I will add that the general feeling of the staff (back in September when this came to the surface) included that this, in character, is akin to making a demand of a -god- rather than one of his or her followers, which characters should probably tread lightly in doing. Sure, it's within a character's ability to recite a spell, zap a wand, brandish a staff or read a scroll, but it's the immortal that grants the blessing of transforming the food in accordance with a person's faith.