Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Redeem Tokens for Resurrection and Armor Retrieval
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:56 pm 
Mortal

Yed wrote:
What? Is roleplay too antiquated of an idea to encourage conflict or resolution? I remember taking part in MANY wars between cabals, before the introduction of CRS, and in most cases, the reason for the war was thorough and well thought-out, the sense of victory was solid, and the defeat was played out. In fact, in most cases, I would argue that the roleplay of these things was BETTER in most cases than the same after the introduction of CRS.

You're talking to me about the past. You used to kill someone and take their corpse. That simply isn't possible against people with tokens.
Yed wrote:
So is there really no "reason" to wage war just because CRS is not currently active?

More or less. How do you define a victory when nobody is losing or gaining anything? What do you gain from killing someone and getting an empty corpse other than a bounty?
Yed wrote:
Is there really no sense of victory without claiming another cabal's relic?

You used to be able to loot corpses.
Yed wrote:
Is there really no sense of defeat without an entire cabal going inactive because they can't retrieve a relic?

Are you talking about people refusing to RP defeat? How is that a game issue and not a player issue? You were just telling me how awesome things used to be and how both sides used to RP victory and defeat so well.
Yed wrote:
Have we just used CRS as a crutch to encourage PK without sufficient RP behind it the past 15 years?

Without sufficient RP? You mean the entire history of SK? I don't understand. Cabals have established lore.
*Edit*Formatted.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:37 pm 
Mortal

Honey pie, yes you can use that 10.

I'm Still new to being back and I'm still figuring out where good eq is/was but I've come across assume decent examples of both staves and wands . Of the easy ones are about, I'm inclined to believe people aren't hoarding then that much

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:56 am 
Mortal

Ajon wrote:
Honey pie, yes you can use that 10.

I'm Still new to being back and I'm still figuring out where good eq is/was but I've come across assume decent examples of both staves and wands . Of the easy ones are about, I'm inclined to believe people aren't hoarding then that much

That is great you can use the tokens right away. And after doing some further investigation, I am inclined to agree with you on the hoarding comment.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:01 am 
Mortal

As for the pk, I can see your point and hadn't considered the code that disallows picking up items while combat is occurring in the room. Perhaps it would be best that you couldn't use them until you at least hit the river which gives an attacker some time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:49 am 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
gergi wrote:
You're talking to me about the past.

I'm talking to you about roleplay- the rich tradition on which SK was built.

But I'll repeat:
yed wrote:
CRS needn't be seen as completely done & over. Any suggestions for how it might be re-applied, tweaked & adjusted, improved, and/or re-introduced in a constructive & compelling way should definitely still be shared. Though it endured years of complaints from the playerbase, CRS definitely brought some positive qualities to the game, and could still be utilized in the future to provide constructive framing for parts of the PvP world.

ajon wrote:

I'm inclined to agree. But it's still worth a discussion among the staff if we need to tweak the hoarding code further, in relation to wands & staves.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:25 am 
Mortal

Yed wrote:
I'm talking to you about roleplay- the rich tradition on which SK was built.

Why do you keep snipping my responses to make your arguments seem valid? And if you finished reading my response you'll see how RP doesn't apply. How do you RP victory or defeat when nothing is gained or lost by either side? And for all the harping you do about rich RP you should read the original post. The RP you get these days is deep-elves, griffons, peacekeepers, and legion all working together. Rich.

Reinstate CRS. Easy. It was fine the way it was. Player issues should be dealt with on a player level and not on the game level. You probably need to give all the guardians a hard nerf for players to even play with it. None of it matters though, since if you actually finished reading the entirety of the original post, this is about redeem resurrection/retrieval and not CRS. I meant conflict as a whole was pointless, but that would have required you to read the entirety of my response, but given how you snipped that one too I can understand the confusion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:14 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Arkex, Chronis, Azoreth, Kyln
Put restrictions on retrieval. If a player died to the hands of another player, retrieval doesn't work.
If you successfully PK someone, you deserve the loot.
But with all the vets banned or quit because of their opinion on leadership, loot from PK isn't really a factor.

Excluding the matchmaker GRP, every single piece of RP that I truly enjoyed was based around PK. The fact that so much has been put in place to discourage PK is something that has lead to the downfall of SK.
Chronis' war with Brisbald: fueled by PK. We had a gentlemenfs agreement for "consumable looting only." The most fun I had in SK.
Ainhoa seeks sanctuary from Harlies in The Empire: toughest RP and PK that I had in my SK history. But it was absolutely amazing to be put in the position to have to make the choices that I did.
Thakathi and Azoreth RP due to leadership and the overthrowing of Jonimo and Azoreth: tough heartbreaking RP, but Finney was flawless in his execution of showing his power.
The battle for Grahme: the most fun I had in SK. And it was centered around large formations engaging in PK.
Countless other occurrences of my RP has been directly related to PK and that's what has made SK great. Having to RP defeat in multiple situations was difficult for me to do as a noob, but I learned and was enthralled with the game.
The game has lost that for me.
I don't know where your thoughts on roleplay being the largest staple of SK. It isn't. It was PK first and RP later. The beginning of the end was when people started getting banned for PK with no RP. The RP can come weeks later, as the kid who died seeks revenge.
This armor retrieval is nice for end game PVE. But it needs to be restricted for PVP.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:23 am 
Mortal

Trosis wrote:
Put restrictions on retrieval. If a player died to the hands of another player, retrieval doesn't work.

The only restriction needed in the redeem resurrection/armor retrieval is that you have to be in the river to use the resurrection (Tribunal revival needs this as well). This would eliminate all of the negativity surrounding it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:09 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Arkex, Chronis, Azoreth, Kyln
Mayra wrote:
Trosis wrote:

The only restriction needed in the redeem resurrection/armor retrieval is that you have to be in the river to use the resurrection (Tribunal revival needs this as well). This would eliminate all of the negativity surrounding it.

also an easy fix. But a lot of the time it's easiest to PK, get corpse, travel to a safe spot to sort. That takes a bit of time and exorcise + redeem resurrect + corpse retrieval could all be done in under one minute's time.
My way would be better for players. Your way would be better for coders.
So I expect that your way might be used.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:51 am 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
Trosis wrote:
Put restrictions on retrieval.

I don't disagree at all.
The complaint that redeem retrieve weakens PvP has merit. I'm sympathetic to that complaint and interested in seeing it addressed. I don't think retrieve is the doomsday device that some present it as, but is a feature that needs improvement.

Trosis wrote:
Excluding the matchmaker GRP, every single piece of RP that I truly enjoyed was based around PK.

Would you have said this as Chronis, before your experience with Azoreth? Somehow I wonder. You weren't as big a fan of PK-lacking-RP, or spite-PK, when you were a newer player. You even quit playing for a short time because of it.

Trosis wrote:
The battle for Grahme: the most fun I had in SK. And it was centered around large formations engaging in PK.

Being the admin who organized and ran this event, I appreciate you saying that. Just a few weeks ago, I was re-reading the post-event discussions to remind myself some lessons learned. This was an RPK event that was centered around a war that featured group PK, faction diplomacy, and RP.

Trosis wrote:
I don't know where your thoughts on roleplay being the largest staple of SK. It isn't. It was PK first and RP later. The beginning of the end was when people started getting banned for PK with no RP. The RP can come weeks later, as the kid who died seeks revenge.

I never said it was the largest staple on SK. I said it is the rich tradition on which SK was built. RP has always been the driver of SK storyline and has always been the driver of (justification for) PK. RP has ALWAYS been expected with PK. PK without RP has been a cause & reason for penalization since the beginning. Calrion was cracking down on it long before you started playing SK, and long before I was first promoted to admin 17 years ago. It was true in 1998 and still true in 2017.

However, my point in making the statement was that well-roleplayed, well-justified PK existed long before CRS was introduced. Wars happened. People won. People lost. People cried, people jeered, people picked fights, and people resolved them. It happened between churches, between cabals, between player-formed groups, between individuals.... This all happened without CRS, and can still happen today without the framework of CRS.

I'm sympathetic to the argument that CRS should be put back in. I've come to like most of what CRS represents, but personally always believed the system was more appropriate for tribunal warfare than for cabal warfare. The system will probably never be put back in the game exactly as it was before removal, but I see no reason why it couldn't be returned in a new & improved format. I continue to encourage anybody who wants to see it return to voice recommendations for how to do so.

Trosis wrote:
This armor retrieval is nice for end game PVE. But it needs to be restricted for PVP.

That's the balance to strike, and 2 very different scenarios to deal with. Like you, I support tweaking this feature further.