Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Empire of the bright star?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:08 pm 
Mortal

Empire is the most evil kingdom right? What do they look like visually? Sorry, kind of new here.
As well as the other kingdoms? Wanted to draw some military uniforms for them and armor. Im not sure where this topic should go tbh. :[

Post subject: Re: Empire of the bright star?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:14 pm 
Immortal

This isn't from the perspective of the KD, just as someone who has interacted with Imperial stuff.

I always looked at the Empire stylistically as a sort of Roman/German hybrid, so anything in that vein you will probably be happy with.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:50 pm 
Mortal

I've always pictured the Empire as Romanesque too.

Zhenshi is a hybrid of Japanese and Middle-eastern (think Samurai meets Sari).

Taslamar definitely has an English feel to it, knights in shining armor and whatnot.

Uxmal doesn't have a military force, but if you wanted to represent them, think bandits and cutthroats.

I still don't know what's happening with Ayamao... but in the past they had the Guardians, which were Elvish Rangers and Knights... lots of bows and spears (at least in my imagination).

The Northern Wastes was a starting Kingdom a while ago (but I guess it's not now?), I'm pretty sure their military was a mix of undead and savages.

The thing is, my characters usually behave themselves in kingdoms, and generally stay out of wars. This all might be specifically wrong, but the feel should be right.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:03 pm 
Mortal

I have an oc, one of my scout characters, in my own headcannon world/story she works for this underground, completely seperate kingdom thats evil, would I have her just join uxmal then? She still wears a uniform , just from a kingdom thats unheard of.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:53 pm 
Mortal

I personally am pretty flexible when interacting with others in game, going with whatever backstories they make for their characters, regardless of circumstance.

That being said, having your character be from a place that isn't "real" in Shattered Kingdoms is right on the edge of taboo. If it's a minor plot point in your character's history, I doubt many people will take mind. If it's what ends up driving her, and becomes a core part of her, I would recommend biting the bullet and choosing the Empire (and if your character doesn't speak or read Imperial, that can be explained away with some convenient Amnesia or something).

It's against the rules to give too much away, but Shattered Kingdoms is littered with secret groups, some of which are evil. Many (all?) of these groups give your character access to otherwise restricted areas or shops, but the most powerful groups are called Tribunals (Your character becomes part of a Kingdom's Military and can order soldiers) and Cabals (Your character joins a secret organization that grants them special powers).

Tribunals can be freely talked about on the Forums (correct me if I'm wrong), but not the secret Cabals and not the quests that lead to the "normal" secret groups.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:29 pm 
Mortal

laeZ1 wrote:
I personally am pretty flexible when interacting with others in game, going with whatever backstories they make for their characters, regardless of circumstance.

That being said, having your character be from a place that isn't "real" in Shattered Kingdoms is right on the edge of taboo. If it's a minor plot point in your character's history, I doubt many people will take mind. If it's what ends up driving her, and becomes a core part of her, I would recommend biting the bullet and choosing the Empire (and if your character doesn't speak or read Imperial, that can be explained away with some convenient Amnesia or something).

It's against the rules to give too much away, but Shattered Kingdoms is littered with secret groups, some of which are evil. Many (all?) of these groups give your character access to otherwise restricted areas or shops, but the most powerful groups are called Tribunals (Your character becomes part of a Kingdom's Military and can order soldiers) and Cabals (Your character joins a secret organization that grants them special powers).

Tribunals can be freely talked about on the Forums (correct me if I'm wrong), but not the secret Cabals and not the quests that lead to the "normal" secret groups.

Is there anything I should know about the empire if I decided to join it? Like rp wise?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:43 pm 
Mortal

Help Empire :wink:

They're down with slavery and they're militaristic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:28 pm 
Mortal

laeZ1 wrote:
Help Empire :wink:

They're down with slavery and they're militaristic.

Alright, but whos ruling it? How do they feel about the other races? How do they feel about humans? How does royalty usually work in fantasy and d&d? Esp evil ones?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:58 am 
Mortal

My knowledge may be outdated, anyone here should feel free to correct me if any of the following is wrong.

The Emperor is a man shrouded in secrecy. He is known to His people and His enemies as "The Emperor". A select few know His face and his name, and it has been ages since He's personally made a public appearance. The Midnight Council is His Elite force, through whom He rules the empire. Armed with His voice, His troops, and secret training, the Midnight Council strikes fear into their enemies - for to oppose them is to oppose the Empire itself.

In the not so distant past, all Imperial Citizens who wanted a warrant to adventure were required by Imperial Law to serve in the Imperial Military for basic training, including combat and discipline.

The Empire of Bright Star is predominantly Human. Other Races are seen as second class citizens (or worse), unless they prove themselves - generally, that means adventurers (player characters) are on the same foot as other adventurers in the Empire... unless of course, they're at odds with the Imperials.

People light of heart oftentimes find themselves against the Empire's philosophies - there is no free speech in the Empire, and as I mentioned before, Slavery is as common as dirt there. The Empire doesn't specifically hate Elves, Griffons, or light-hearted people, but these types often raise arms against the Empire; and the Imperials are not above stereotyping other Elves, Griffons, and Light-Hearted People because of those they've encountered in the past.

Laws regarding Necromancy change from year to year inside the Empire, but the Empire has always held a deep respect for the Priests of the Dark Gods (excluding, at times, the priests of Thuban), and moreso than any other place, the Empire holds the Hellions (the Knights of Sargas, Algorab, and Ain the Eye) in high Esteem. The Ruthlessness and Strength of the Hellions perfectly represents the type of Honor the Empire holds close to its heart.

I hope that answers your question.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:12 am 
Implementor

You could make an argument that Northern Wastes is a "kingdom" that is more evil than the Empire, or at least chaotic evil as opposed to the Empire's lawful evil. Although you can't start a character there at the present time, you could still say that you were born there and then emigrated to your start kingdom prior to beginning adventuring.