Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Loyalty Tokens
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:42 am 
Mortal

Just wanted to point out the LT system sucks for people who only play one character at a time and have played that character for more than a year.

Post subject: Re: Loyalty Tokens
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:36 am 
Mortal

SK_Phantom wrote:
Just wanted to point out the LT system sucks for people who only play one character at a time and have played that character for more than a year.

I have to agree here. The invested time is great when you roll up the next one in line....but when you play a character over the course of their life with the goal of age death it doesn't give you any of the benefits.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:39 am 
Mortal

Yeah it sucks when a party wipes and everyone is using redeem retrieval and I just twiddle my thumbs naked.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:00 pm 
Mortal

I understand that. Put over six hundred hours into my character and cannot touch my tokens. And I plan to age death him. Its a let down.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:31 pm 
Immortal

Of course, I'd love to say something more definitive, but this IS a concern we've discussed quite a bit fairly recently at the staff level. There have been a lot of different solutions discussed though, and it's most likely that any "fix" would be part of a larger system that rewards consistent activity, while maintaining the current system that is more designed to reward high-quality play.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:28 am 
Mortal

SK_Phantom wrote:

Sheriana wrote:
I understand that. Put over six hundred hours into my character and cannot touch my tokens. And I plan to age death him. Its a let down.

Mayra wrote:
I have to agree here. The invested time is great when you roll up the next one in line....but when you play a character over the course of their life with the goal of age death it doesn't give you any of the benefits.

What about the tokens you received from your prior character? When you play a single character for a long time, you'll eventually start earning tokens. When you've finished that character's story, you'll be able to use those tokens with your next character. I understand that the system would be frustrating for somebody's very first character (especially if that player was planning to play that character until age-death), but somebody playing their first character in SK has got bigger fish to fry than other PCs having "loyalty advantage" - namely learning the game in general.

I started my long break shortly after Loyalty Tokens were first introduced... I might be wrong here, but I don't remember the Redeem command allowing Resurrection and Call Armor back when the tokens were introduced; honestly, it seems (to me) like something outside of their paradigm.
Algorab wrote:
Of course, I'd love to say something more definitive, but this IS a concern we've discussed quite a bit fairly recently at the staff level. There have been a lot of different solutions discussed though, and it's most likely that any "fix" would be part of a larger system that rewards consistent activity, while maintaining the current system that is more designed to reward high-quality play.

Is that an invitation for the playerbase to share their ideas on the subject?

If so...

The only reason I can think of why Loyalty Tokens aren't available for the character who earns them is as a measure to reduce or prevent "Token farming". Perhaps there's an explanation that makes more sense (perhaps it's a coding issue? I know next to nothing about coding) - but I'm not quite satisfied with that answer. The people who would be abusing the system likely already are. People without respect for the rules (or the spirit of the rules) are also the same people who don't have respect for their characters and the stories forged around them.

If it would be put to a vote, I'd be for loyalty tokens being usable by the characters who earn them. It wouldn't change how I use mine (saving up for some good ol' fashioned snowflaking... can't wait for a Minotaur Priest or sorcerer), and I don't think it would break anything.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:53 am 
Mortal

laeZ1 wrote:
What about the tokens you received from your prior character? When you play a single character for a long time, you'll eventually start earning tokens. When you've finished that character's story, you'll be able to use those tokens with your next character......

I started my long break shortly after Loyalty Tokens were first introduced...

LT's weren't a thing the time I played before my last break, so my main is still the start of the "sire line" for lack of a better term and honestly I never really worried about them until resurrect, retrieval, and mastery were added. These are benefits that are useful, especially in situations where a whole party wipes in PvE or those few irritating skills that are SO boring to master no one does.

Loyalty tokens are meant to keep players by rewarding them....and yes, gear is gear, losing it is part of the game. But given the fact the counts have been so low retrieving some of it is nearly impossible, it makes a full wipe pretty hard to swallow and some players get frustrated with having to invest all those hours again.

This take is totally on the PvE side of it too. If you get wrecked in PK and loose all your stuff that is a totally different animal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:40 pm 
Immortal

As a general response, we always welcome ideas on changes to the game. The easiest method is probably the idea command in-game, but you can always post a new thread, respond to a pertinent thread with the idea, or PM/E-Mail us.

Of course, that doesn't always mean we will use any specific idea, but as far as ideas go I generally find an iron sharpens iron approach is best. Who knows when someones idea that wasn't great for one thing, ends up being a really good fit for something else?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:24 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Leila
SK_Phantom wrote:

I expect this to be an unpopular opinion, but I'd really like to see at least EQ retrieval removed past a certain level. Being able to instantly rez/retrieval makes any PK (assuming it existed) strictly ceremonial. Really, I'd like to see Pity of the Gods extended until maybe journeyman and then get rid of rez tokens, too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:25 pm 
Mortal

As a priest, I’d like to see token rez removed as well, it has served its purpose
but is no longer needed.
Or at least increase the cost for GM, sometimes I can tell someone is dead with spirit sight,
then they just return to life even when I am the only priest online, spending 1 token seems
preferable to actually contacting a priest and having even the basic rezz rp.