Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Weapon Enchantments.
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:24 pm 
Mortal

So, this discussion is probably a bit overdue.

When weapon enchantments were overhauled, split into individual things (rather than the old +1/+1 acc/dam), speed was added as a thing, and the to-hit enchant was changed to actual 'weapon accuracy' (meaning it affects parrying and things, rather than just your to-hit chance), this was a great change. It added a lot of diversity to things, let people put their own twist on stuff, etc etc.

It's been a while now. 5 or 6 years, or even longer, I don't remember.

Other parts of the game have changed, too, which factors into the thoughts behind these various enchantments.

First and foremost, the most glaring problem with the current setup is...Damage runes are nigh useless. You can put 10 damage runes on something, and there doesn't seem to be a particularly noticeable impact in combat. Especially not when the guy with 5 accuracy runes on his weapon (or, just every NPC in the game who is amazing at parrying despite having no weapons) just parried all your attacks. You also just died because you only avoided like 1 of his attacks back at you, due to having no accuracy.

Damage enchants both don't seem to have a noticeable impact AND do not compare to accuracy enchants in terms of impact (and accuracy helps both offense + defense).

IMO, damage enchantments need a signficant boost, to make them a worthwhile alternative for people focused on damage. At the moment, there is no reason to get them, because getting accuracy runes will help you land more hits, and landing 1 extra hit is going to do more than any number of damage runes, as they are currently.

If you are using a halberd, greatsword, etc (massive weapon, with high damage), you put accuracy on it, to make sure you hit, and do a [REDACTED] of damage. You never put damage runes on it.

If you are using a rapier, epee, etc (minimal damage weapon, with high accuracy), you put accuracy on it, to make your hits harder to parry and increase your own parry chances. You never put damage runes on it.

There is literally no scenario where you want damage runes, because they don't seem to do anything.

The above comments are, I feel confident in saying, a general consensus anybody who actually plays the game for any length of time will agree with.

This is not a call to nerf accuracy enchants. If you do that, IMO, you will be making a mistake. The damage enchant just needs to be buffed, and/or somehow changed. My personal suggestion would be somehow making it more appealing to people who want to focus on damage, and leaving accuracy as it currently is, for people who want to focus on defense.

The following comments, are more my opinion on a different matter here.

Speed enchantments were wildly popular for a while, one might even say they were too strong (back when they stacked with haste). Various changes in the game have, in my opinion, rendered them almost useless.

They don't stack with haste any longer, and haste doesn't cause fatigue any longer, so if you have access to haste, there's no reason to not have it, and your speed enchantments are doing absolutely nothing.

Currently, IMO, the only function speed enchants serve, is for MR barbs (who, obviously, can't be affected by haste).

I'm not sure what can be done with speed enchants to make them useful to more than just fringe case MR barbs, but maybe somebody else has an idea.

Post subject: Re: Weapon Enchantments.
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:01 am 
Mortal

TacoRobot wrote:
They don't stack with haste any longer, and haste doesn't cause fatigue any longer, so if you have access to haste, there's no reason to not have it, and your speed enchantments are doing absolutely nothing.

While I agree with the post, haste cuts your HP/ME/PE regen in half so it isn't always desirable.