Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: SACRED SETS
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:48 am 
Mortal

TheX wrote:
Personal echoes are cool, I just hate being in a conversation and someone's armor decides it's a good time to interject a lecture.

Oh come on, said armor is normally pretty spot on! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:54 pm 
Immortal

I recently worked with some Algorab followers to re-desc the Algorab set, and make it look a little more special, but to me the bigger problem with the sets is that they are serving two different ideas at the same time, and they are at odds with each other.

We've got restricted loot that only people of that faith can use, meaning it's infinitely more accessible to the select people in that religion than other similar armor.

We've got scripted loot that is often good enough that even some of the most mechanic-centric players are willing to use it as their gear, and people want their religion's armor to be just as good.

Literally anything that is different between sets can be seen as a benefit or negative, depending on what it is. One of the issues brought up with the Algorab set is that it was using both neck slots. That may seem relatively minor, but if you're wanting to wear some kind of other scripted necklace, or a neck piece with different mods, it may be a more pressing concern. Then when that person compares to other sets that don't have that problem, now something that is somewhat limited impact becomes a balance issue.

Weapons are really the worst for this because while some sub-types are seen as roughly equal, many others aren't, and many of them don't even translate between classes as being useful, so a weapon one follower things is great, another follower might think is useless trash. That's not a big deal if it's just a random weapon that anyone can use, it's a much bigger deal when every single faith wants their weapon to be awesome for them at that point in time, creating an ever-changing target of fairness.

Personally, I'm all on board for some changes to the sacred gear, but I'd also add another question that I think is important.

What do we actually want from "sacred armor"? Should it be super accessible RP-focused, but usable gear, like standard issue? Should it be end-game gear that is representative of a God's power? If it's the latter, it would be inherently more fair to not restrict it, beyond maybe some zap flags, so that people could take and use whatever works, but now we're no longer really talking about sacred armor, just armor themed to match a God.

I'm curious about what everyone else thinks the role of "sacred armor" is in the game, because even in this thread it at least seems like there are differing ideas between different people based upon their thoughts on balancing them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:41 pm 
Mortal

That echo/those echoes were never meant to fire as often as they do and they were meant to be personal as far as i remember. Wert botched it a bit. And damn that set of sacred armor has been hated a lot ;) In hindsight often with good reason (and often not).

I have one request and that not only in regards to sacred armor: please respect the games lore. Over the past decade the game has gone a bit bland I think, because things have changed without respect to history. Like players can [REDACTED] about a sacred katana and it will prolly get removed, but there has been a sacred katana of truth since Nerina was first made. A small detail most dont remember, so whatever. But suddle hints in new things build/made with reference to game history and lore already in game, really is needed. I have a hard time -feeling- the game these days because so many areas and items just seem random. And it genuinly pisses me off when a lore-rich area gets torn down and a new area is made in its place that... Yea that just seems out of place. The same goes for armor. And with sacred armor I see a chance to mend some of this. Make some lore that pulls players into the sk realm, rather than just being assets to be gotten for pk-mechanics.

And when is the last time someone has written a book? Make some books for the sacred armor as well :drunk:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:43 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: That one guy who pk'd you.
TacoRobot wrote:
Let's be serious here and not beat around the bush and waste everybody's time and try to find completely separate points to argue about.

Trag is only worried specifically about the sacred ring the Ain religion has that grants ironguard.

:P

I can give two shits about that ring. I care about the time spent enchanting the armor with a bard. It is hard enough to find one, even more so when you can't enchant your own crap. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:25 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Leila
Tragonis wrote:
I can give two shits about that ring. I care about the time spent enchanting the armor with a bard. It is hard enough to find one, even more so when you can't enchant your own crap. :(

Isn't it possible for a builder to change the scripts and innate enchants on your armor and leave the rest as is? I assumed so as people sometimes note that their gear has been cryptically changed.

Bard and lightie sorc situation is terrible but there's a GM graybie sorc... :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:57 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Point blank, I'm not doing that. Too much room for error, and if a ring magically changes into a pair of boots overnight (completely random example), it's going to crumble and get lost either way.

But I mean, if the consensus process is any indication of the speed of this project, there will probably be some sacred gear turnover in the meantime.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:54 pm 
Mortal

Tragonis wrote:
TacoRobot wrote:
Let's be serious here and not beat around the bush and waste everybody's time and try to find completely separate points to argue about.

Trag is only worried specifically about the sacred ring the Ain religion has that grants ironguard.

:P

I feel your pain. My Mira set is maxed out in runes and it took forever with a bard. Not going to be able to replace the runes after it gets wiped. I cant fathom how you feel when you cant consecrate yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:43 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Leila
Soooo, the two people who had issues with their kits being changed are no longer playing the characters that used them.

Nashira's could definitely use some love.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:57 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Still need a consensus.

I'm pretty sure D isn't going to go for energy on light-armor faiths, just FYI.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:38 pm 
Mortal

Meissa wrote:
I'm pretty sure D isn't going to go for energy on light-armor faiths, just FYI.

Erm. What?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next