Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Charms and Open Air
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:23 am 
Mortal

Just let me take my charms over open air again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:30 am 
Implementor

You make it sound like this was a recent change, but it was made near the end of 2009. So it’s been this way for pretty near a decade. Sorcerer characters in the intervening time have managed to not only be relevant, but actually feared in PK. At best, this request is a quality of life issue and not essential to the class.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:34 am 
Mortal

Pretty sure we made do with it because you wouldn't change it back when we asked. This topic has been argued time and again. None of us are really sure how not allow charms over open air does anything to make the game more fun. In fact it makes things more of a burden.

We made work arounds because you wouldn't listen to us and change it back.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:07 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Leila
Yed wrote:

That's kind of how I see it. I'm hearing the same people complain about reflex/bash at the same time as this about willpower/charm. If you stack yourself with reflex to be nigh-invulnerable to the reflex-save attacks, then it seems obvious to me that you should be particularly vulnerable to the willpower & fortitude attacks. Seems like I'm hearing requests that would allow players to make their characters virtually invulnerable to all attacks at the same time they want other players to be more vulnerable to their own attacks? I strongly believe there should be gives & takes. The willpower/fortitude attacks tend to be more "I-win" spells, while reflex tends to be have far wider usage. That guy who stacks his reflex to be dodging trips, bashes, and lightning bolts like mad really should be fodder for petrification, FoD, or charm. Everybody wants their character to be able to survive (and win) practically every situation, but that's not really feasible in a world with PvP, and the changes we want to make our Character A more powerful is likely to have ripple effects on Characters B-F too. It's a delicate spiderweb.....

All of this.

But, despite the specious argument for nulling charms over air, I'd rather keep the ability to charm PCs rather than take the easy way with cryptic open air rooms to certain areas.

But most of all, I'd like to see people suck it up and stop asking for everything to be nerfed just because it can be used to kill them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:34 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Bran
Dulrik wrote:
You make it sound like this was a recent change, but it was made near the end of 2009. So it’s been this way for pretty near a decade. Sorcerer characters in the intervening time have managed to not only be relevant, but actually feared in PK. At best, this request is a quality of life issue and not essential to the class.

I don't think you seem to understand that PVP isn't in question here (though even then they're questionable). Sorceror's are near useless in end game content and most PVE in general. Can't take charms to 99% of the areas and the places you can have open air or null magic rooms in places that you must get past to continue on through the area. Most NPCs are resistant to their spells, most NPCs "have no eyes to blind", petrification isn't even that useful anymore in pve going through areas like it used to be since it now fails 90% of the time or it's resistant on simple NPCs that before you'd have no trouble petrifying. Sorceror's are now used to buff people with haste and giant strength in end game PvE content and that's about the extent of their usefulness, after that they AFK and wait for the next time they need to re-apply buffs or enchant the items that are gathered while the rest of the group kills things.

You've also removed items (Lamp) since then that were used to get past null magic/flying zones, and nerfed a certain set of rings to only be used by a certain race/size that were also useful for getting around areas more smoothly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:40 pm 
Implementor

NPCs will no longer break free of charm when entering air rooms - next reboot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:21 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Leila
Dulrik wrote:

<3 <3 <3 <3

Cheers, D.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:41 am 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:

Thank you.