Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bash vs Reflex Saves
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:29 am 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
Looking at the code, there is the possibility that I was too aggressive with a miss being interpreted the same as a critical failure. I am willing to look into revising a normal miss to be less catastrophic. Such as: you would still suffer command lag but not actually be knocked prone yourself. Would that help satisfy people?

Irregardless of that, I am still interested in feedback about ways to make PK more exciting and particularly my idea about changing recall potions.

Change to recall potions is one of the dumbest ideas I have heard come up with. Sk is still a world of gangbangs, you should find a way to adjust that before you try changing anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:57 am 
Mortal

This is a thread about bash and reflex, not word of recall and int. For the love of god don’t change recall flasks, those implications go far beyond the bash vs reflex in PvP problem.

Slightly Increase the % chance a PC gets to land a bash/trip.
Slightly decrease the % resistance to bash/trip that reflex gives.
Done. Doesn’t need to be more complicated than that.

As it stands, it takes 30+ wp/fort to reliably save against those spells. I would say it takes about half that in reflex to negate bash. If someone invests in 30+ reflex, they should be near impossible to bash but they are going to be susceptible to other ways of getting killed - as it should be.

Side note, I do like the idea of a miss vs crib fail on bash, I think that would help a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:45 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Arkex, Chronis, Azoreth, Kyln
Yeah. I don’t think changing the way recalls work is the solution.
Perhaps you can make store-bought potions to achieve your desired chase-scene. If you don’t have a priest around, you have to use these half-ass recalls until you can get someone to brew you true recalls.
Idk. I think recall works just fine. But the fact that we can’t ensure that someone -can’t- recall is the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:11 pm 
Mortal

Yeah, because 3+ vs 1 ganks need more help. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:13 pm 
Immortal

Gazpacho wrote:
Slightly Increase the % chance a PC gets to land a bash/trip.
Slightly decrease the % resistance to bash/trip that reflex gives.
Done. Doesn’t need to be more complicated than that.

As it stands, it takes 30+ wp/fort to reliably save against those spells. I would say it takes about half that in reflex to negate bash. If someone invests in 30+ reflex, they should be near impossible to bash but they are going to be susceptible to other ways of getting killed - as it should be.

While I can't give you any hard numbers, I can tell you those above numbers are inaccurate. It does not generally take a 30+ fortitude or willpower to reliably save against max art casters. It certainly can when impairment is a factor, but that will typically require a protracted battle to manifest. IIRC reflex save probability against getting knocked prone tracks fairly closely to spell save probability against high art casters ever since the 12/07/2015 code update. The only way your statement that someone would need half as much reflex to reliably save might be accurate is in the case of quadrupeds and dwarves, who are harder to knock prone. Even then, I don't think the difference is that significant.

The main mechanical difference at play is that melee classes don't generally have a way to impart impairment to opponents (while it is ironically the easiest save to impair for casters that make use of one of a few specific spells). So, should we consider adding reflex impairment to targets that save against going prone? Would it also be cool if we did things like add reflex impairment from skills like heckle, blitzkrieg, and head butt? What about a pretty big reflex impairment from a hamstring? What about a reflex impairment from being blinded (be it from dirt, darkness, color spray, or whatever), which of course could be mitigated by blind fighting. Full disclosure, I'm not a huge fan of the impairment mechanic, but it is what we're working with and it might be very useful to balance this particular issue. Doing it this way could prevent one-round autoganks against people who dare to stay logged in when facing large numbers of opponents on the who list, but also make it possible to land more kills in pitched battles, where everyone is an enthusiastic participant.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:26 pm 
Mortal

Or just cut all melee damage by 40% and set bash back to what it was before prone, except make it fail at least 25% of the time. Stop people from being over to overwhelmingly destroy people in one to two rounds of combat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:39 pm 
Immortal

saxifragaceae wrote:
I have a lot of feelz about endgame PvE that I should save for a different post, but I do think endgame PvE will remain sufficiently challenging even if you can bash all the baddies. Most of the really nasty things still cast their spells when proned anyway, don't they?

Some do, but most don't. That said, a lot of them can kip up anyway, so they don't stay prone for long. Some are also extremely hard to knock prone in the first place.

Quote:
But playing a sorc, I gotta say, endgame PvE is mostly already a snoozefest because of null-magic and open air rooms that negate my charms and the preponderance of NPCs immune to petrification and/or magic all together. Dispel is super handy some times, but for the most part, there's not a lot to do in comparison with other classes.

Does anyone ever just spam shrink spells at enemies? Pretty cheap to cast and you can shrink all those big things down to size for your party to smash. I wonder if that would be remotely useful to do. Anyway, in terms of the ratio of petrification-immune to non-immune monsters out there, it is pretty low. Same with magic immunity, though it is no doubt always irritating to the casters to come across those. One thing I've done as a builder to mitigate no-magic rooms is to create items that allow you to summon charmable, controllable, tameable, and dominatable monsters that you can fire up after passing through no-magic rooms, which even sometimes still follow you around when you arrive at the next set of no-magic rooms. YMMV with those, of course, and in some zones they're still not super useful. I can always add in a few more things like that if people find them remotely useful.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:42 pm 
Immortal

TheX wrote:
Or just cut all melee damage by 40% and set bash back to what it was before prone, except make it fail at least 25% of the time. Stop people from being over to overwhelmingly destroy people in one to two rounds of combat.

Can't wait to see the logs of people taking on Ephialtis after melee damage gets reduced by 40%. Yikes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:43 pm 
Mortal

Or just let us take our own charms wherever we go. That would be quick easy and not reliant on a specialized item that someone can hoard.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:43 pm 
Mortal

Thuban wrote:
TheX wrote:

Can't wait to see the logs of people taking on Ephialtis after melee damage gets reduced by 40%. Yikes.

He would suffer the same penalty. 40% melee damage drop across the board, sheesh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next