Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Streetwise you
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:35 am 
Mortal

This is too powerful. At least with past versions of scry you got a warnning it was coming. It's too cheap, too easy, and no counter.

Post subject: Re: Streetwise you
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:08 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: That one guy who pk'd you.
There are counters to this. Just like putting a horse behind you. :rant:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:46 am 
Implementor

There are some spells and skills that will lower the chance of anyone with streetwise being able to find you. I won't list them but they are the kinds of things you would expect if you don't want people to recognize you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:31 pm 
Mortal

I personally have no issues with the streetwise skill. I'll also say this. I'm glad it's the way it is. But that's me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:53 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
I think the monetary cost should be higher, particularly when there's very granular information being given out. A scaling system seems appropriate: Less money for kingdom, more for city, most for specific room (and the success rolls might scale with difficulty here, too). I also feel that it would be appropriate for the time required to "convince" someone to give you information to be lengthened.

At the inception of this skill, I argued that it doesn't make any sense to have the informant alert the target, even on a critical fail. I stand by that position. You're not going to get a law-enforcement NPC to cooperate, after all. There is no implied loyalty to the target simply because the requester somehow manages to insult the streetwise informant. That said, I'd be okay with fails having some consequence, like bad intel.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:21 am 
Implementor

FYI: It's already possible to get incorrect information from an informant. It's possible that people don't even notice and just assume it is because the target was there but then recalled after asking. But yes, it can happen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:17 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
Meissa wrote:
I think the monetary cost should be higher, particularly when there's very granular information being given out. A scaling system seems appropriate: Less money for kingdom, more for city, most for specific room (and the success rolls might scale with difficulty here, too). I also feel that it would be appropriate for the time required to "convince" someone to give you information to be lengthened.

At the inception of this skill, I argued that it doesn't make any sense to have the informant alert the target, even on a critical fail. I stand by that position. You're not going to get a law-enforcement NPC to cooperate, after all. There is no implied loyalty to the target simply because the requester somehow manages to insult the streetwise informant. That said, I'd be okay with fails having some consequence, like bad intel.

I haven't really seen this skill in action but just know the theory behind original implementation. I do still think there are times when the alleged informant WOULD give intentionally bad information AND times when some would consciously choose to alert the target. For instance, deep-elf rogue comes to town looking for a paladin, tries to streetwise a principled NPC who ostensibly knows something about the target and the nature of the fellow standing before him now... that principled NPC absolutely could have reason to provide bad info, to provide no info, and to potentially warn the target of the impending threat. Likewise, some light aura goes to Menegroth looking for a member of the Legions and tries to streetwise a diabolic NPC who could conceivably have reason to double-cross the light aura for his own purposes, or to earn some favors by warning the Legion target. Or maybe the target just has a higher charisma and the informant just plain likes the target better than the inquiring rogue.

This wouldn't be the case for all such situations, of course, but it seems perfectly reasonable that it would be one possible outcome.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:24 pm 
Mortal

The last few logs I have seen this involved with this skill are ridiculous with how accurate it is. Either give more people the scry ability back or just flat out remove this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:27 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Leila
TheX wrote:
The last few logs I have seen this involved with this skill are ridiculous with how accurate it is. Either give more people the scry ability back or just flat out remove this.

Guessing people don't post the logs when it doesn't work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:29 pm 
Mortal

Can any other classes scry? I know most of the ways I knew how are no longer viable. I don't see where giving any class the ability to scry at will was a good idea.