Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Null-magic
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:26 pm 
Mortal

How about we get a skill for those who can attain 6 art and above. It allows the individual to sense when a no magic room is approaching, the level of your art gives you added distance and knowledge as to where the null room is.

6 oh, your right next to it
7-9 oh it's two rooms away
10-12 oh it's two rooms w &or e you aren't entirely sure.
13-14 Oh it's three rooms w and attached to another room.

Should you have the skill but lack the required art it may or may not give you misleading information, as will a crit failure

Post subject: Re: Null-magic
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:07 pm 
Implementor

This is a kind of interesting idea. Not exactly easy to code, but still interesting. What do other people think?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:08 pm 
Implementor

And by interesting, I mean the core idea of being able to detect a null magic room. Not necessarily sold on it being tied to art. Would make more sense to me to be an added benefit of the detect magic ability.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:15 pm 
Mortal

I think art playing into it should have a roll in how much/how far you can detect. That way training all your art gives you a better chance of saving your butt.

I can concede it being bundled with detect magic since NOBODY uses it.

There are three races that get it naturally is why I want to push art also.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:34 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
Dulrik wrote:
And by interesting, I mean the core idea of being able to detect a null magic room. Not necessarily sold on it being tied to art. Would make more sense to me to be an added benefit of the detect magic ability.

Think I recently threw out this suggestion. I like it muchly. It's a bigly great idea. I like it tied to detect magic specifically, moreso than art.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:48 pm 
Immortal

Maybe you cast detect magic and you can tell when you look in a direction if a room is no-magic. Perhaps that would be easier to code? There are presently some cabal room spells that work similarly. You can see the room nearby or a long way or whatever in a given direction is presently under said spell's effect. If we go that route, perhaps detect magic could also reveal if the room you're presently in blocks recall or teleportation/gate magic. This could be done just by using the look command, or maybe it would require some other command that has a slight amount of lag.

EDIT: Should have read more than the first post, obv, as I see that has been brought up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:54 pm 
Immortal

Thuban wrote:
Maybe you cast detect magic and you can tell when you look in a direction if a room is no-magic. Perhaps that would be easier to code? There are presently some cabal room spells that work similarly. You can see the room nearby or a long way or whatever in a given direction is presently under said spell's effect. If we go that route, perhaps detect magic could also reveal if the room you're presently in blocks recall or teleportation/gate magic. This could be done just by using the look command, or maybe it would require some other command that has a slight amount of lag.

EDIT: Should have read more than the first post, obv, as I see that has been brought up.

If we go with a novel command to discern magic in rooms, perhaps it could also be targeted so you can see the exact spells a character has up, provided they are also on your own spell list. That prevents any leakage of secret religious or cabal spells, and it just makes sense that a sorcerer would know what a sorcerer spell's aura looks like but maybe not what a priest's spell's aura looks like. It could also reveal if someone is magic resistant (slightly, moderately, highly) and if they have an aura of negation in place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:54 pm 
Immortal

I don't think the additional levels add much in terms of utility personally, even if it's just detecting no-magic rooms 1-room away in a chosen direction it would allow the cautious to avoid basically any no-magic room that isn't unavoidable.

Since no-magic is basically just a builder thing, seems fair to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:07 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: That one guy who pk'd you.
I'd be okay with detect magic letting you see no magix zones.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:23 am 
Implementor

You can now use detect magic with a direction to discern the presence of null-magic zones. Give it a try.