VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Rajjin Group 1-Shots Pets
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:25 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Arkex, Chronis, Azoreth, Kyln
jreid_1985 wrote:
The bigger issue here is that there is zero-counterplay to this until you die and that is likely why people who stuck around and figured out these things don't find it a big deal.
History repeats itself. I tried to bring up no-magic/ cham mechanics years ago for the purpose of minimizing aspects of the game that were not newbie friendly.
Arkex, if you were new to the game, would you say that dying to this quest feature makes you want to continue playing or quit and find another game? Personally, I feel that there are other ways to modify the difficulty of this quest and that mechanics like this only work with instant respawn games and not games that take hours to recover, and days for newbies.

I mean, at this point i'm too invested in the game to quit over this. But it does dissuade me from adventuring out that way. I spent a lot of time learning the area and found how to transport out there. It's a really cool area and fun questline. But this incident dissuades me from traveling out there. So to me, Owyran is kind of a dead zone, unless I just want to go raid Qul'xon's store room. Because that takes like 2 minutes tops.
If I was still learning the game as a permanoob that was finally adventuring out on my own? I wouldn't be persuaded to continue playing. Especially if death traps as cheap as this are a common occurrence throughout the game.
This could be fixed by simply removing the NPC from the group, so it doesn't even require a code change to remove the script. It's a trash script and takes away from the fun of the game.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:58 pm 
Mortal

The thing about games is that just because you dont like something about a game, you cant just complain it away because it doesnt serve your purpose.

Wert made the area with an intended purpose and dates people to rise up to the challenge. By saying to just remove this script /NPC goes against everything of it's original purpose.

SK is not single player game like you want it to be. It's a team game where people can collectively contribute to make it fun. If your expecting a single player experience, you will have some success earlier in the game, but in the end you'll be sadly be disappointed trying to conquer end game adventures.

And your argument of I dont like this because it makes my gaming harder isnt valid in the aspect of game balance or game implementation. It's barely valid for an open discussion.

If you want to talk about something that's valid to be fixed, it's the ability to resss someone in the griffon area bypassing the whole questline. This is extremely abuseable and shouldn't be allowed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:13 pm 
Mortal

I understand that some areas you won’t be able to do solo.
Hell, the only reason I can solo some of the areas I can is because of kylns race class cabal.
But this type of anti-solo “feature” isn’t the way to make the game harder.
Improve rogue AI to circle stab the pc in the back row. That’s completely fair and I would be okay with trying to adapt to that.
Maybe some of the enemies in the front row could reach. So I’m screwed if I sit back row or if I sit middle row without rescue.
I’m completely okay with making the area harder with those sorts of things.
But a “you can’t use pets here. *gank pets*” is not a good way to make the area more challenging.

I heard that this was implemented because vets were soloing this area. And an imm wanted to be a “big meanie” so the implemented this script.

Yes. SK should be played by a group of people. But my build should be able to solo this area. And the fact that this anti-solo measure is out into place is just poor building imo. And probably in the opinion of many others as well.

If it’s not going to be changed, then fine. It’s not going to be changed. But the psychology that this cheap death invokes in players should be heard and understood.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:36 am 
Mortal

If rising to a challenge comes with possible automatic death(and long wait/recovery times/no counterplay) for noobs instead of a different script like one that forces you to leave pets outside beforehand (because rajjin hates animal poop)or something to that degree idk what to say. I mean you could buff the hp of the NPCs instead of having this unrealistic 'john wick' rogue take out a lion, lathron and a fire elemental or.. even an entire formation for wights if he wanted. If dying had less consequence, this would be fine as a quest feature imo. I could be completely wrong though as others could find that specific aspect of the quest unique and fun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:25 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Leila
a warlock can definitely still solo this group.

i don't have an opinion on this script, but my problem with this and a whole truckload of other quests is that they're (near) impossible to figure out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:33 am 
Mortal

I just dont see it. A good enough reason that would merit an IMM to lift a finger. An old adage of why fix something when it's not broken.

There's still a chance for a warlock to solo this. Other classes do not have this opportunity. Why give warlock a boost over other classes? I want to solo this as a priest and that was possible with a sleep shave, but that was taken away. Its just silly to make an endgame zone boss easier just because a person cant solo it. I justify this as an antitwink measure and it serves its purpose very well.

I guess the main argument that jreid mentioned is that this john wick implementation is sorta OP and I agree because no pets should ever be 1hko. To be realistic, what good reasons can we give IMM to make this change because I dont see any and probability is 0%. Having an IMM change it is an even bigger task.

The simplest thing that is within any players power is to nurture new relationship with new players and build them up as players so that as a group you can conquer the zone together. Or just play during happy hour and get free ress. There are lots of options as a player that Kyln can make use of, but he has yet to exhaust those those options. Like I said "try harder brah."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:44 am 
Mortal

Bro. You don’t get it, obviously.
The issue isn’t that I died. It’s not that it makes the area too difficult. It’s not that I want to solo the area and failed in this attempt.
The issue is that it’s a bogus script. Plain and simple.
To instagank pets like that is not something that should exist in the game.
Swap that script with a magma spray script. That is at least a legitimate spell that’s in the game. It might make the group OP at that point, but it still more legit than the pet gank script.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:41 pm 
Mortal

Lemme get this through your thick skull.

Its not a bogus script. Deal with it.
Cry more noob.
And no, replacing it with magma is just stupid. I think its funny that wert actually put in the time (2-3 hours) to custom make a instant pet kill script. This was custom made just to anger players like you. wert has the last laugh.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:38 am 
Mortal

Hats off to wert for coding it. It works just fine. It’s not bugged in anyway. :drunk:
I guess it comes down to a matter of opinion then.
I think that it’s cheap and shouldn’t exist. You think that it’s hilarious and awesome.
Circlular conversarion can cease.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:04 am 
Immortal

This isn't even the cheapest death in the game I don't think.

Off the top of my head, there is at least one "challenge" NPC that has a chance to just straight up kill you.

Something to keep in mind with these "special" abilities is that they are usually just meant to change things up a little, and encourage people to try different things. I always preferred seeing them in easier to access challenges where it isn't as punishing to return and try again later.

While I don't know that any immediate changes are going to happen to NPC in question, I think it's good to provide feedback like this as it might encourage other builders to do things different next time, or perhaps make alternate methods more obvious, etc.