Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Should the Imms give me my Sprite Paladin?
Yes 69%  69%  [ 9 ]
No 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Re: Sprite Paladin
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:02 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Arkex, Chronis, Azoreth, Kyln
TheX plays sprites. This much is known. And this is why nearly the entire playerbase voted to allow him to create this character.
This is an opportunity for the immstaff to show the playerbase that they care about them and are willing to do unusual things to create a more unique and fun atmosphere.
Giving him his sprite Paladin would spice up the game. It would make team lights grow, which is something needed right now, and it would create an environment for more in-depth and compelling RP.
If this isn’t an issue about being a “broken build” then why wouldn’t we bend the rules for the reasons mentioned above?

We’ve cited sources about a barbarian being let into the first, even though that was a coded restriction. We’ve seen these types of modifications be allowe in the past.
We’ve seen pfiles be modified, so this is absolutely something that is possible.

All that being said, Algorab saying “play a cleric and RP that you’re a paladin” sounds like a hard no to me. So just to clarify, is the official stance from the Immstaff a hard no?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:06 pm 
Mortal

Easy, I have taken steps IC I am happy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:51 pm 
Immortal

Trosis wrote:
TheX plays sprites. This much is known. And this is why nearly the entire playerbase voted to allow him to create this character.
This is an opportunity for the immstaff to show the playerbase that they care about them and are willing to do unusual things to create a more unique and fun atmosphere.
Giving him his sprite Paladin would spice up the game. It would make team lights grow, which is something needed right now, and it would create an environment for more in-depth and compelling RP.
If this isn’t an issue about being a “broken build” then why wouldn’t we bend the rules for the reasons mentioned above?

We’ve cited sources about a barbarian being let into the first, even though that was a coded restriction. We’ve seen these types of modifications be allowe in the past.
We’ve seen pfiles be modified, so this is absolutely something that is possible.

All that being said, Algorab saying “play a cleric and RP that you’re a paladin” sounds like a hard no to me. So just to clarify, is the official stance from the Immstaff a hard no?

I think asking any staff member to prove they care about the playerbase by indulging any single player over long-standing restrictions is basically asking for player-initiated imm-sanctioned favoritism, and that isn't something I'm particularly keen on doing. Hell, I hate getting equipment requests from players because even if it's a legit request, it feels a lot like a no win situation between playing favorites, or not making the change until the person who asked for it can't even use it.

If you're asking if I think it should be accessible via LT? My answer would be no, it doesn't work for the RP of the race at all, and even priest/merc are only allowed via LTs. So in the strangest of circumstances, they can still barely muster up enough focus for martial or priest training, not both.

If you're asking me if I think we should be doing one-off otherwise not-allowed in any way combos? My answer would be no, it's not fair to everyone else, and with every situation being vastly different it's almost impossible to judge in a way that seems fair to everyone. Oathbreaker is a prime example of the Pandora's box of something technically being possible, but rare, and the bad expectations it sets for everyone that wants to be that exception, even if they aren't exceptional.

If you're asking me if I have a problem with someone role-playing something similar out within the confines of the rules? I think TheX answered that already in part, but no, of course not. As long as someone is willing to deal with the consequences of sprites being racially incapable of being a paladin or hellion, I have no issue with someone RPing really wanting to be one anyway, but the resolution of their story needs to fit within the guidelines/rules of the game otherwise what's the point?

Maybe they find their peace serving their God in a different way? Maybe they serve their God so well they take pity on the poor mortal and give them a new body(race) that can be disciplined enough to follow their dream path? Just saying "you CAN break the rules, so let this dude violate alignment restrictions" seems lazy and not very fun or fair.

I refute the idea that the staff need to subvert long-standing alignment restrictions on a whim just because someone finds it fun. It's like professional wrestling, plays, or table top RPGs, it's all story-telling within the context of make-believe rules, but if you ignore all the rules or some people start treating it like it's fake in-story, it loses most of what makes it fun and enjoyable story telling. In a similar vein, it gives me pause when people are somewhat ignoring alignment differences and religion differences so they can do fun stuff in-game. I completely understand why it's done right now, but I also think it robs them of part of what people actually enjoyed about the game too.

But hey, I'm happy that TheX is happy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:37 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Arkex, Chronis, Azoreth, Kyln
Well, put me in my place why don’t ya? Lol
Sorry if I was overly-aggressive in my argument.

Perhaps I’ll-worded, trying to say “prove to the playerbase.” All I was saying is that relations, though improving, between the playerbase and immstaff has been rocky for quite a while now. I was just trying to say this would be good PR.

I see how it could be favoritism. But I was thinking of this as more favoritism for the playerbase as a whole, since this is something we all wanted, to improve the uniqueness of the game. It would have been almost a GRP-level uniqueness to the game.

But if TheX is happy, I’ll leave it be.
Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:38 pm 
Immortal

Trosis wrote:
Well, put me in my place why don’t ya? Lol
Sorry if I was overly-aggressive in my argument.

Perhaps I’ll-worded, trying to say “prove to the playerbase.” All I was saying is that relations, though improving, between the playerbase and immstaff has been rocky for quite a while now. I was just trying to say this would be good PR.

I see how it could be favoritism. But I was thinking of this as more favoritism for the playerbase as a whole, since this is something we all wanted, to improve the uniqueness of the game. It would have been almost a GRP-level uniqueness to the game.

But if TheX is happy, I’ll leave it be.
Cheers.

I wasn't really looking to call you out, I just thought your post gave me the opportunity to provide a bit more clarity to my position. If I'm being honest, I also wanted to call attention to the idea that despite me being pretty resolutely against sprite hellions/paladins, I'm not against people finding a way to make their RP work, and doing what I can to help them make it happen(as long as they are fully aware of the issues and limitations of my help). In many instances my opinion on things doesn't actually matter much, like in this case even if I loved sprite hellions and paladins the official stance of the game is still that they can't be made because they can't be made. That should generally be represented in RP terms as well, it's not that Ain or Dulrik or Algorab couldn't make a sprite that is capable of being sufficiently focused and regimented(ICly the Gods can basically do whatever) it's that any sprite sufficiently capable of regimentation would cease to be a sprite, and would become something else entirely.

I hope people can apply what I was trying to say generally when it comes to other future outside-the-box ideas.

No hard feelings at all on this side :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:19 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Gailehn, Stephanov
Side note. My sprite barbarian was a metric ton to play when I cashed in my loyalty points that one time.