Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: hours counter + getting people to play more
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:27 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Amorette
I love playing this game, but I've been busy! Would there be a way to set a monthly hours log to meet the goal of playing enough hours -- and then if you surpass that goal by x number of hours, you get a loyalty token. Not huge, just one for like every 5-10 hours you play past the monthly "keep your loot" limit.

I don't think it would be abusable under current hour limits, and I think it would be fun and would encourage busy people like me to play more.

Post subject: Re: hours counter + getting people to play more
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:14 pm 
Mortal

ladyjennbo wrote:
Not huge, just one for like every 5-10 hours you play past the monthly "keep your loot" limit.

Or if a player is unable able to play because a multitude reasons, be able to use tokens to put things in a {safe} so they don't get stolen? Like it is "x" amount of tokens to store an item or each additional item?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:03 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Airkli
Sum1Else wrote:
ladyjennbo wrote:
Not huge, just one for like every 5-10 hours you play past the monthly "keep your loot" limit.

Or if a player is unable able to play because a multitude reasons, be able to use tokens to put things in a {safe} so they don't get stolen? Like it is "x" amount of tokens to store an item or each additional item?

Absolutely not. :o Undermines the whole purpose of the hoarder code. Someone could farm loyalty tokens on a main character to continue hoarding items on an alt. If you're not playing your character you should let unique items return to circulation. It's already too easy to meet minimum hours.

I also think if you're playing big hours you should be receiving loyalty tokens though quality of play, not just by sitting around. Interacting with paragons and faction/religious activities.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:23 am 
Mortal

i just want an hours counter. it may be "too easy" to meet minimum requirements but i have a desire to play, and numbers psychologically keep me playing. i wanna meet the goal of xx hours, then i wanna get loyalty tokens through xx hours and see how many hours i've played per month. i don't think that's unrealistic for people now that we've all got jobs and families and other stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:13 pm 
Immortal

There has been a lot of talk for quite some time about some kind of system that directly rewards regular play, with a possible usage to allow you to keep a specific item through death and things like that.

Nothing fully solid ever came about though, but the idea was that tokens would be differentiated out with LT being about quality of play(leadership/hero/RP) and used for one off things and the new token being more about regular play over time and being used for things that impart immediate in-game impact/quality of life bonuses(saving pieces of equipment, rez, call armor, etc).

Basically, the more regularly you play the easier the time playing would become, naturally encouraging people to play more, and earn more tokens etc.

The idea was more about encouraging an "active" hour or two four or five times a week, and then letting anything beyond that happen more naturally. Lots of people login now, don't see their side on or whatever, and log back out immediately and then continually to do this until they see their partners in crime on line. Nothing particularly nefarious about this, but it obviously encourages larger counts if someone stays on for the hour, or other amount of time, and other people see them on and decide to do the same.

All of that said, any idea based around the implementation of entirely new systems is really a non-starter right now, so I would temper any expectations.

TLDR: Don't see anything like this happening soon, it has been discussed a lot and generally favorably though. In a perfect world loyalty tokens would enable weird builds, and things that quality players often want for new characters, and activity tokens would improve QoL for people playing existing characters regularly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:22 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
The most common thing is to have mechanics that are beneficial for someone to do even if no one else is online, as "busy work" that can keep them online while others log on also. If the only things worth doing require 3 or more people to do them, then there's no reason to log on at all. In SK this usually looks like enchanting gear, brewing/scribing/recharging, gathering limited use items and farming gold. If these are "too easy" to do or otherwise require a group, then you're going to have a negative spiral of people logging in.

By the way, removing the ability for people to hold more than 5 pieces of extra gear and limiting the top-end potential of enchants really hurt that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:57 pm 
Immortal

Edoras wrote:
The most common thing is to have mechanics that are beneficial for someone to do even if no one else is online, as "busy work" that can keep them online while others log on also. If the only things worth doing require 3 or more people to do them, then there's no reason to log on at all. In SK this usually looks like enchanting gear, brewing/scribing/recharging, gathering limited use items and farming gold. If these are "too easy" to do or otherwise require a group, then you're going to have a negative spiral of people logging in.

By the way, removing the ability for people to hold more than 5 pieces of extra gear and limiting the top-end potential of enchants really hurt that.

I don't disagree with some of that, but I would argue that game mechanics which overly advantage players that put in disproportional amounts of time compared to most players starts to discourage people unable to put in that amount of time from putting in any time at all. Eventually, that limits the potential number of low usage players for high usage players to find advantages against, advantages they likely didn't need to begin with, making it less worth the time investment to begin with, and creating a negative spiral that way as well.

It's a tough balancing act for sure, but just to put things into perspective. The prospect of hundreds of active player hours in a jail cell still isn't enough to keep some people from farming law NPCs to drain the coffers of opposing countries. The benefit is minor and the punishment is more than enough, even clearly extreme in some cases, to stop the vast majority of people from doing so, but we still have people willing to do the crime, and get crushed by the time and being upset about it. The outcome was clear from the start, but those extreme jail punishments being known as possible doesn't make the punishment itself any less extreme, it just means when you give people options, some people are likely to choose the other option no matter how negative the potential repercussions.

Nothing happens in a vacuum and while time sinks are important, the most successful ones will look more like bell curves if you look at time invested/benefit gained, with a rapid uptick to encourage completion, a nice fat enjoyable top end, and just as rapid downtick on the other side to encourage you to do something else eventually. Having had the distinct displeasure of watching many a player ignore things going on around them just to keep enchanting their gear, while I agree it was a larger sink of time, I don't really think it was an overall negative to limit it. If anything, it may further point out that it was overly leaned on as a time sink to begin with.

In the interest of encouraging discussion, does anyone have any suggestions for interactive or otherwise enjoyable time sinks?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:46 pm 
Mortal

i really like collecting quests for money if you can't get more xp

i also enjoy writing descriptions and helping the game

even if nothing it attached to it, i can't imagine it'd be difficult to just have an hours counter per month since there's already one for lifetime.. even if we don't have an "hours met" or whatever. just like "hours: you have played 15 hours this month, and 584 hours in total"

please

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:17 am 
Mortal

SK Character: That one guy who pk'd you.
Yeah but have you seen any code updates lately? I think for now your best bet is to write down your hours at the beginning of the month and count it off that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:20 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
Algorab wrote:
I don't disagree with some of that, but I would argue that game mechanics which overly advantage players that put in disproportional amounts of time compared to most players starts to discourage people unable to put in that amount of time from putting in any time at all. Eventually, that limits the potential number of low usage players for high usage players to find advantages against, advantages they likely didn't need to begin with, making it less worth the time investment to begin with, and creating a negative spiral that way as well.

It's a tough balancing act for sure, but just to put things into perspective. The prospect of hundreds of active player hours in a jail cell still isn't enough to keep some people from farming law NPCs to drain the coffers of opposing countries. The benefit is minor and the punishment is more than enough, even clearly extreme in some cases, to stop the vast majority of people from doing so, but we still have people willing to do the crime, and get crushed by the time and being upset about it. The outcome was clear from the start, but those extreme jail punishments being known as possible doesn't make the punishment itself any less extreme, it just means when you give people options, some people are likely to choose the other option no matter how negative the potential repercussions.

Nothing happens in a vacuum and while time sinks are important, the most successful ones will look more like bell curves if you look at time invested/benefit gained, with a rapid uptick to encourage completion, a nice fat enjoyable top end, and just as rapid downtick on the other side to encourage you to do something else eventually.
I agree with your conclusion, which I bolded in the above quote. Ironically, the closest thing SK had to that was enchanting, which you also didn't seem to like on account of its other flaws. For what it's worth, I shared the same frustration with much of enchanting's flaws.

I will say that you are misinterpreting bounty NPC farming. You seem to have the stance that people purposefully got outlawed and racked up extremely high crime lists for the purpose of farming bounty NPCs despite the severe punishment of getting jailed for 1000 IRL hours. However, in my experience players typically did not become outlawed on purpose just to farm bounty NPCs, they were forced to farm bounty NPCs after they got banished from their very first successful PK in a city. Once you're banished from a kingdom it's virtually impossible to PvP or even farm any NPCs/gather gear in that kingdom unless you're a Harlie or you drain the coffers. Bounty NPC farming wasn't fun and really didn't provide you any distinct advantage against others at all, it just made the game slightly playable at a huge investment.

Quote:
Having had the distinct displeasure of watching many a player ignore things going on around them just to keep enchanting their gear, while I agree it was a larger sink of time, I don't really think it was an overall negative to limit it. If anything, it may further point out that it was overly leaned on as a time sink to begin with.

In the interest of encouraging discussion, does anyone have any suggestions for interactive or otherwise enjoyable time sinks?
Brief note: You can't fix the human condition that if there's something to grind, there's always going to be someone who ignores other people for the sake of grinding that thing. Also, muds are often played semi-afk, so someone might choose to do something with minimal interaction when they know they aren't going to be able to do anything fun with others.

To your question though, I I can think of two ideals for a time sink that encourages online activity.

1) Something that you can do alone, but that also can be made easier as a group even if overall less efficient per player.
2) Something that has a bell curve of usefulness as you described. It's always useful to do, even if minimally rewarding.

These things do that now.

Farming gold
Gathering gear
Enchanting gear
Gathering limited items
Herbing
Brewing
Scribing
Recharging
Practicing skills

The "problem" that's typically been true of SK is that most of these features are very difficult, if impossible, for certain classes yet very accessible for others. Classes with access to locate and gate have a much easier time gathering gear, classes with raw physical damage and high carrying capacity (or charms) have an easier time gathering/selling gear, and of course only certain classes can brew, herb, or enchant.

It -used- to be that as a non-enchanter you could gather 5-10 extra pieces of "decent" gear with the plan of eventually getting them to an enchanter later, but the anti-hoarding code makes that impossible now. The same is true of enchanters who used to be able to gather up weapons for their friends and enchant them: That's a lot more difficult now with the hard low limit on extra wearable items being stripped when you log out.