Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Oathbreaker Flag
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:25 pm 
Immortal (Inactive)

There seems to be some ongoing confusion about the Oathbreaker flag, so a clarification was felt to be in order.

The Oathbreaker flag is set onto a character's file anytime he/she is removed from a cabal/tribunal. It is a permanent flag in that file and is not ever removed, no matter what happens to that character from that point on in that character's life.

The Oathbreaker flag affects nothing in a character's life other than that it makes it impossible for that character to be inducted into a cabal/tribunal by another character. An immortal (some immortals, at least) can still induct a player into a cabal/tribunal, but no mortal character can do so.

This leaves open the question of the circumstances under which an immortal might induct a character with the Oathbreaker flag into a cabal/tribunal. Deliberately so, because I'm not even going to try to delineate those circumstances other than to say that each case would have to be looked at on an individual basis.

Even when looked at individually, though, any such inductions would still be very few and far between, requiring consistently outstanding RP on the part of the character, as well as some factor in the character history that is out of the ordinary...something that shows that this isn't just the typical sort of cabal-hopping that the Oathbreaker flag is designed to prevent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:43 pm 
Implementor

While everything Algorab said is true, I just wanted to emphasize even more that the Oathbreaker flag is there to enforce the rule that you only get to join one cabal during your character's existence. Choose your cabal carefully before asking to be inducted and then be sure to please your cabal leader or risk uninduction. If you get booted and think that YOU are going to be the 1 in 100 that is an exception to the Oathbreaker flag, then you've already guaranteed that you won't be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:10 pm 
Mortal

Let me ask a couple of questions then.

Say a Paladin joins the XX Tribunal of his home. The Paladin after many years of service and due to various reasons, be it RP, inactivity, IRL, anything asks to be removed. This would mean, that this paladin with the flawless record, was not dishonorably discharged from the tribunal, but was honorably retired.

Why can't this Paladin, provided he comes back full time, be re-invested into the said Tribunal, or another Cabal? He has examplery record after all didn't he? Is this where the IMM can make the investment as mentioned before?

Second question is, that as far as i have read, a player cannot be in more than one cabal/tribunal at any given time with more than one of his Characters. Reasonable to a point. I dont see why cannot i seek to be invested into a Cabal, after a long time my character was inactive, provided i was not booted from my previous Tribunal. (See case 1). And i am not talking about leaving a cabal to join another. I am specificaly discussing about leaving a Tribunal to join a Cabal, MANY Ic years later.

Thanks for the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:53 am 
Immortal (Inactive)

First off...Malgaroth and assorted others, ya'll need to quit hijacking this thread; your arguments about what happened with Nimolthar have been rehashed quite enough elsewhere in the past year. This is not General Discussion, so you also need to keep the flame content out of here.

Second...
Dulrik wrote:
If you get booted and think that YOU are going to be the 1 in 100 that is an exception to the Oathbreaker flag, then you've already guaranteed that you won't be.

Malgaroth, if you'd even bothered to read what Dulrik and I wrote, your question would have already been answered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:41 pm 
Mortal

I know this is not GD and that is why i posted without fear of being flamed. I got flamed, but i will not continue to answer to their posts, perhaps if the specific part was moved elsewere i could elaborate more.

I merely expressed my views with HYPOTHETICAL examples in Gameplay. I trust every user can yes? Nice.

The flame was directed by others who forget this is not GD on my post about a HYPOTHETICAL question, although my name was alone mentioned, and the rest got "assorted others". Point taken.

Thanks again for all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:58 pm 
Mortal

I would actually like to see it so a character could join a cabal and a tribunal once in its lifetime, not at the same time of course. Some Characters liftimes are so long you need something differant to keep things interesting.

Also, some Cabals and Tribunals go threw changes that may not sit right with someones characters beliefs forcing them to leave, wich basically leaves them no options to go anywhere else once they do. If you leave the option to go to a tribunal it would ease some of this trouble. Once they leave both of them there done for with no chance to ever join a group again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:39 pm 
Mortal

Quote:
Some Characters liftimes are so long you need something differant to keep things interesting.

You can remedy this via countless means. You do not need a different tribunal or cabal to quench your boredom with a long-lived character. If that is what you wish, create a new character and move on to a different cabal. Besides, this is what most players end up doing anyway, as long-lived characters themselves are not common these days. I myself have maintained a character in the same cabal for over a year now, and am still finding new ways to keep the interest alive, and I'm not bored yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:15 pm 

For the record:

In the past, there was an appalling rate of membership amongst the playerbase. Granted, there were many factors in the past (eg, only cabals existed, smaller playerbase, inactive leaders), however the rate of those in cabals or tribunals compared to those who were in the very popular 'None' group was about 10-20%. So out of 50 folks online, only about 5-10 were cabal folks.

Today, we're happy to see that percentage is up around 50% - of 50 folks that are currently online, 25 are in a cabal or tribunal. There are now more groups to join, strong incentives to stay with a cabal, and strong incentives to find those who are independent and induct them - especially since you can no longer "head-hunt" those characters who are in a tribunal or cabal already.

I'd love to see the day when we have 75-80% in cabals or tribunals. And perhaps once we have active leaders across all such groups, I don't see why we can't achieve such numbers. The RP can only be more widespread if the memberships are higher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:03 pm 
Mortal

Thrak wrote:
Also, some Cabals and Tribunals go threw changes that may not sit right with someones characters beliefs forcing them to leave, wich basically leaves them no options to go anywhere else once they do. If you leave the option to go to a tribunal it would ease some of this trouble. Once they leave both of them there done for with no chance to ever join a group again.

Allow me to provide you with some retrospect, given to me from my personal experience with the Army.

You bind yourself to an organization through an oral and written contract - think its a good idea, and then find out its a bad idea.. perhaps that it conflicts with your lifestyle. You can't just quit. You have to physically remove yourself, get kicked out, etc to leave the organization. You are then marked with an other then honorable discharge - and expect them to just let you in again when things clear up?

It dosen't work like that in real life - and it dosen't work like that in SK

You take a vow to serve your country or whatever, and you keep it no matter what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:17 pm 
three_sixteen wrote:
Thrak wrote:

Allow me to provide you with some retrospect, given to me from my personal experience with the Army.

You bind yourself to an organization through an oral and written contract - think its a good idea, and then find out its a bad idea.. perhaps that it conflicts with your lifestyle. You can't just quit. You have to physically remove yourself, get kicked out, etc to leave the organization. You are then marked with an other then honorable discharge - and expect them to just let you in again when things clear up?

It dosen't work like that in real life - and it dosen't work like that in SK

You take a vow to serve your country or whatever, and you keep it no matter what.

Actually Three, you're wrong. Alot of organizations rehire staff when they come under new management. Not everyone that leaves an organization is -kicked- out. You're only using one medicore point. And what's really funny, is someone can join one nations army, get kicked out, declare citizenship in another country and join their forces, most don't even do much of a background check, nor care if their numbers are low.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next