Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wiri and Anyaili
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:33 pm 
Mortal

So... Probably a good amount of people know/knew Wiri. I apologize for bailing when I did on you guys in the Council right after admission, but I had/have no real desire to get into endless pk wars with people and the circumstances that built to it were organic so I let them lead where they would, but it made it ultimately end up in something I had less interest in playing.

Anyaili was interesting but I'm still trying to wrap my mind around a world where it is considered MORE evil to let someone live than it is to kill them. So I retired my 'good' and 'evil' characters as a result and have moved on to something more neutral. Hopefully this minimizes pk. I know I didn't have a lot of chance to RP with anyone much on Anyaili but it was fun while it lasted. :D

Post subject: Re: Wiri and Anyaili
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:46 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
Tips for avoiding PK:

Unprincipled/Dogmatic alignment.
Do not wear any gear over level 25.
Do not gather or hold limited items.
Do not participate in ANY aspect of PK, including lewt grabs for friends.
Be polite to everyone. EVERYONE.
Do not report crimes witnessed, ever, by any side of the alignment/faction coins.
Do not join factions, either tribunals or cabals no matter how cool you think their p0warz are.

And even taking all those steps, understand that PvE with specific groups that do have enemies will often earn you those same enemies, and that even if you DON'T associate with that crowd you still might occasionally be PK'd just as a bystander.

Best of luck finding a niche in the fountain RP crowd.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:49 pm 
Mortal

ObjectivistActivist wrote:
Tips for avoiding PK:

Unprincipled/Dogmatic alignment.
Do not wear any gear over level 25.
Do not gather or hold limited items.
Do not participate in ANY aspect of PK, including lewt grabs for friends.
Be polite to everyone. EVERYONE.
Do not report crimes witnessed, ever, by any side of the alignment/faction coins.
Do not join factions, either tribunals or cabals no matter how cool you think their p0warz are.

And even taking all those steps, understand that PvE with specific groups that do have enemies will often earn you those same enemies, and that even if you DON'T associate with that crowd you still might occasionally be PK'd just as a bystander.

Best of luck finding a niche in the fountain RP crowd.

*nod* ... how is someone who hasn't been playing for years supposed to know what is limited?

Also, is there any way to tell wtf is over level 25 without having to identify everything?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:56 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
Material is a good indicator of limited nature. Anything Mithril, Adamantite, or Energy is top-tier and will make you a target for someone at some point. The presence of scripts (effects activated not by casting but by keywords) are also a good indicator of limited nature. Even Tanso items have a limit, but they're not (usually) considered high-value items and are usually safe.

Item level is pretty much only visible through the identify spell, but it's a safe bet that if you're wandering around in newbie gear at a mid- to high-level stage of the game that you're not going to be seen as a target by others. Most store-bought gear is safe to wear, even if it's enchanted, but be aware that some of the jewelery in the game with the best innate enchantments is store-bought and the wrong piece might make someone covetous. If you do happen to stumble on something that is sought-after and someone decides they want it, the safe route if you're actively attempting to avoid PK is just to give it to them. Some people won't bother to ask (a lot of people might not), so if you DO get ganked for an item, it's usually a good idea to manifest, say something conciliatory and mention you would have given them what they are currently looting from your body freely if they had asked. Maybe invite them politely to ask you if you should happen to stumble on something they want later. That will minimize the chances that they'll just outright gank you in the future. Still might happen anyways, so be prepared for that.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:10 am 
Mortal

Some more tips.

Unprincipled is the best alignment choice. Don't go for dogmatic, you want to be able to be flexible, adaptable and elusive.

Human is probably the best race. Half elves can be shunned as mongrels by both elves and deep elves, but I haven't seen this kind of rp played often in the game. I can't talk about the little people though as I've never played one.

With the exception of paladins, hellions and necromancers, all classes could be played. In my opinion though, bard and priest make the best choices. Scout and sorceror seem also good for self reliability.

Sadal makes the best religion to choose, followed by Achernar. Nashira and Yed seem alright. Mira supposedly is enemies with Algorab. Ain and Marfik are a no no.

As for kingdoms, Zhenshi and Uxmal are your two options. I prefer Zhenshi.

It has to be a character who is amiable, but keeps a low profile. You don't actually have to be everyone's doormat, it just needs some wits to make people like you, without making their enemies dislike you.

You will spend most of your time in inns, especially when there is a rp crowd around. Also it's better to explore on your own.

So, if you combine all the above, go for a storyteller/performer concept or a historian/chronicler of some sort. Someone who has reasons to talk with everyone, but is also fun to interact with.

In theory this could keep you safe, in practice you can just hope that you won't get in the wrong side of the wrong people for whatever reason. Your realistic aim is to avoid being repeatedly pked, random pks once in a while can still occur. Grin and bear it.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:23 am 
Mortal

Lykofos wrote:

In theory this could keep you safe, in practice you can just hope that you won't get in the wrong side of the wrong people for whatever reason. Your realistic aim is to avoid being repeatedly pked, random pks once in a while can still occur. Grin and bear it.

Yarr. I don't mind pk, I just don't care to indulge in it myself, and I prefer to keep my own dying to a minimum. It's just not rewarding or fulfilling in any way to me to do something that wastes someone else's time and my own and serves not much purpose (albeit by design, given the multiple ways to get back) besides a temporary annoyance and a chance to junk-loot or be junk-looted.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:42 am 
Mortal

I don't judge the reasons why or the fact that you don't want to indulge in pvp yourself. I am an rp-oriented player as well with some experience on how to play a pacifist character of some sort. So, I am just trying to say that some people will attack and kill your character just because.. Hopefully if you play nice and smart this is going to be the exception and not the rule.