Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Holion Brokenspoke
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:51 pm 
Mortal

Well - having just had my bottom spanked for two cases of cheating I've spent a couple of hours chewing it over and decided just to quit. One I can't remember though i can't deny, and the other seemed an IC issue it never occurred to me was something that an imm would tell me off for.

Apologies to the player of Zenwen for accidentally resurrecting her character. I had asked if she wanted life and then had thought (ooc admittedly) "why wouldn't she" and had cast the spell before she responded saying no. Seemed a pretty innocent mistake, and easily resolved, but sorry it caused enough offense it caused a complaint to the imms.

The item transferance if it happened, happened weeks if not months ago. Apparently I passed some low level light armor gear from Holion to a barbarian alt who had been kitted out in heavy armor by allies soon after I rolled him. No idea how this happened - I assume I picked it up with Holion, dropped it, then picked it up on the lowbie when looking for things to sell for coin. But the principle was enough for the rules boss to delete and strip characters.

I said at the time I understood there have to be rules, and you have to apply them. But more I think on this I feel this is unwarranted - I've never knowingly tried to break the rules or cheat this game in too many years of playing. A first (frankly trivial) offense in 10+ years has been dealt with as hard as any repeat offender, and I feel hugely disenchanted.

I picked up the game again while my wife was studying for a graduate degree and frequently busy, leaving me with spare time. She's finished that now, and it's time I spent more time with her anyhow. Being called up on these two "offenses" just makes me realize I need to spend more time away from the keyboard.

Good luck to the players of the game, so many of whom seem to play it with such a great spirit at the moment despite challenging circumstances. I hope those who created and who have become custodians of this game realize what it will become without you.

Post subject: Re: Holion Brokenspoke
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:45 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: That one guy who pk'd you.
I am sorry to see you go. So much fun from the times on Hianchi too god who knows all. Can't name them all!

Come back!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:55 pm 
Immortal

I'm sad to hear you've decided to retire Holion. I actually liked him a lot as a character and if you decided to change your mind at all down the road about playing him, just reach out.

Just for clarification, you did not receive a punishment for resurrecting anyone without their permission, just a reminder to be mindful of that as I decided the penalty for item transfer was harsh enough. Unfortunately I can only see that the item was transferred and when, not motive. With a direct transfer over a very brief amount of time, it leaves less room for leniency, but you certainly weren't treated like a repeat offender.

You certainly didn't imply that same sentiment when we talked, so I didn't realize it affected you so greatly until I read this post. I wish you the best in your future endeavors, here or elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:56 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
I'm familiar with the feeling that comes with a sudden realization that you're spending too much time playing SK for your lifestyle. It's good to ensure that you are maintaining a healthy lifestyle first and foremost. If you're like me, you might realize later that your punishment, while harsh, wasn't that awful and that you weren't treated as harshly as a repeat rule breaker would have. You were given the minimum listed punishment for this offense, whereas recently a repeat offender was site banned for using the output of the take command to judge whether an NPC possessed a quest item, for example.

Hope things go well for you and that if you have the time later that you enjoy a character of SK again!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:58 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Retired Troll
More and more, it seems the only way to guarantee that you won't be deleted for multiplaying is to only have one character at a time. The burden of proof seems to be on the player to prove they are innocent if there is any possibility of impropriety on their part.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:12 pm 
Immortal

Baldric wrote:
More and more, it seems the only way to guarantee that you won't be deleted for multiplaying is to only have one character at a time. The burden of proof seems to be on the player to prove they are innocent if there is any possibility of impropriety on their part.

That's not a guarantee. If you have one character and remove all, drop all, then retire it and roll a new character and get all that loot, you would be breaking the rules. Likewise if you passed all your loot to another player's character, retired, rolled up a new character, and then got it all passed back to you on your new character on down the road when you are high enough level to keep it, you would be breaking the rules.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:21 pm 
Mortal

I usually only play one character at a time until age death. So many items i have touched, held, and passed on, i dont even know. Im terrifed this will happen to me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:34 pm 
Mortal

Thank you for the clarification, Thuban.

Thuban wrote:
That's not a guarantee. If you have one character and remove all, drop all, then retire it and roll a new character and get all that loot, you would be breaking the rules. Likewise if you passed all your loot to another player's character, retired, rolled up a new character, and then got it all passed back to you on your new character on down the road when you are high enough level to keep it, you would be breaking the rules.

In either of these cases, however, it would be considered sufficient evidence if an item was at one time on character A, and at a later time was on character B, correct? No further evidence would be needed to show that the player had intentionally transferred the items? How are players supposed to be able to keep track of every item and piece of equipment that has ever been picked up by their characters?

It appears that the only way to guarantee that you will not be deleted for multiplay is to only play one character at a time, and to have any characters after your first not use any equipment or items.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:41 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Theodoric
So you're saying, Baldric, that what the staff is actually doing by ignoring my PM asking to discuss my 1 char at a time ban, is the favor of optimizing my gameplay? that's helpful to know!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:44 pm 
Mortal

Well they're definitely making it less likely that you'll get deleted for multiplaying.