Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Alignment issue
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:15 pm 
Mortal Contributor

I have a problem with my most recent character. Her rp has evolved in a way in which her alignment no longer matches her goals. I'm not sure what to do about this. Any help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:53 pm 
Mortal

I ran into the same problem with a character I had. Unfortunately SK alignments are locked in and I don't believe IMMs have a habit of changing them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:14 pm 
Mortal

Remember that the alignments as they're spelled out are only guidelines for your character's RP - so long as you stick to those guidelines you should be alright.

For example -
Code:
help scrupulous
Scrupulous characters value life, freedom, and happiness above all else,
but find the traditional methods with achieving these goals to be cumbersome.
They have the best of intentions, but are sometimes ruthless and lack the
necessary caution, occasionally hurting innocents in the process.  They are
willing to work with anyone who will help them in their cause, and usually
make incredible leaders.  They lack the discipline necessary to be effective
long-term rulers, becoming frustrated by all the red tape needed to run an
organized society.

See also: alignments

Now pulling this apart, we see that Scrupulous characters, despite their white aura, can be ruthless and carefree, and even hurt people to further their goals, possibly breaking laws in the process. Now what this means tends to be in the realm of 'do what you think is right'. So what is it your character thinks is right?

I'll give you all a clue to my current character when I say that he's scrupulous and is currently having just this sort of interior debate - if you've met him you know what I'm talking about 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:37 pm 
Mortal

It would be nice to have a change in aura throughout the characters life, as things may change due to RP and other things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:39 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Sorel
Alignments won't be changed. Don't even bother.

As for what you should do, you could have your conscience nag at you and start sliding more into the spirit of your alignment.

It's pretty hard to get into this situation, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:43 pm 
Mortal Contributor

Hmmm. I think I figured a way to fix this ICly. Sooo... premature/false alarm. Or something like that.

Thanks for the responses. They were actually quite helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:27 pm 
Mortal

FYI: From what I gathered, the IMMs however, have a strict policy against alignment changes. It is unfortunate, because sometimes it would be nice to have.

So, be sure to control you RP a bit more. :wink:

sleeper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:22 am 
Mortal

sleeper wrote:
FYI: From what I gathered, the IMMs however, have a strict policy against alignment changes. It is unfortunate, because sometimes it would be nice to have.

Sure. But then everybody and his dog would have a morally challenged, ethically transient character. The Imms would spend most of their lives having to sit in judgement over alignment change requests, and you'd never be truly certain that the white aura across the room was really a white aura and not suffering some sort of inner crisis that was about to turn him in to a psychotic baby killer.

Better to actually do away with aura in that case. At least we'd then all know where we stand, or at least what we were stood upon - quicksand :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:14 am 
Mortal

They Imms have a blanked policy of no alignment change. It was not always so but it is now as I understand because of the cries of favouritism that would come from when one person got it and other did not.
I have seen a very interesting alignment change RP in the past from hellion to paladin the player involved Rped it will well and go utterly gutted by the evil she was leaving. As I understand it was a lot of fun for all involved accept for maybe the person who actually changed their alignment, who ended up outside sea watch as I understand. For reasons of fairness to all the alignment change option has been removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:49 pm 
Mortal

Tatali0n wrote:
sleeper wrote:

Sure. But then everybody and his dog would have a morally challenged, ethically transient character. The Imms would spend most of their lives having to sit in judgement over alignment change requests, and you'd never be truly certain that the white aura across the room was really a white aura and not suffering some sort of inner crisis that was about to turn him in to a psychotic baby killer.

Better to actually do away with aura in that case. At least we'd then all know where we stand, or at least what we were stood upon - quicksand :P

I could have said all that, I was just too lazy. :P

sleeper