Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:57 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Theodoric
I really think you are making a mistake going for any sort of average count over a 24 hour consecutive period. In my mind that's essentially going for 3x the average you decide on during people's actual playing times. That isn't to say that you can't eventually lower the number to get there but rather that it is a meaningless figure in terms of player enjoyment.

Why not set something like a 40 player average over any consecutive 8 hour period and then adjust downward from there if that's too aggressive? As a player, I don't give a damn if you find more people interested in playing in the middle of the night while I'm asleep and at work. If instead I knew you were encouraging lots of people to logon during peak hours means I can come home from work and find a bunch of people already logged in and making things happen, and that's awesome.

tl;dr = From a marketing standpoint I'd be more excited to be able to announce there were 40 people playing during peak hours than that there was an average of 13 over 24 hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:27 am 
Mortal

Averages mean that they're sort of the same, bro. A combined peak-and-average statistic give more information; if anything, I'd love for the count command to return a moving 24 hour average. That would be fun.

Because addition is associative, it doesn't matter where you put more player-hours with respect to time. They'll affect the average.

Assuming our average is a mean:

(X1+X2+X3 ... +X24)/24 = Average.

((X1+1)+(X2+1)+(X3+1) ... +(X24+1)) = (X1+X2+X3 ... +X24+24)

Also, 40 players average in any 8 hours means that there should be more than 40 people online for four hours under many conceivable scenarios. You don't think that's aggressive, too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:05 pm 
Webadmin

SK Character: Viltrax
(PS: I think I have a quote fetish...)

patrisaurus wrote:
I really think you are making a mistake going for any sort of average count over a 24 hour consecutive period.

Actually, I thought it was a great way to extend an invitation that included other timezones. What would happen if we ended up with a massive influx of European players who then became the majority? I'm sure you'd prefer US players to not be left out.

patrisaurus wrote:
it is a meaningless figure in terms of player enjoyment.

If you were one of those playing in the quieter hours with very few people, I'm sure you'd appreciate any incentives offered by the game's administrators to encourage more players during your playtime.

patrisaurus wrote:
...and then adjust downward...

Adjusting downward when targets are not met is not fun - kinda kills the momentum and morale that we're trying to build. I'd much rather help everyone reach an achievable goal rather than act like some teasing bastard forever keeping a tasty apple out of reach.

patrisaurus wrote:
As a player, I don't give a damn if you find more people interested in playing in the middle of the night while I'm asleep and at work.

That's a rather selfish view, but I can understand how a large peak can be exciting. I have been online when we had 70+ and it's a great whirlwind of fun.

patrisaurus wrote:
If instead I knew you were encouraging lots of people to logon during peak hours means I can come home from work and find a bunch of people already logged in and making things happen, and that's awesome.

The average calculation we're using would benefit from more players being online at ANY time. There is just as much an onus on the players as the administrators when it comes to finding people who might enjoy playing.

patrisaurus wrote:
tl;dr = From a marketing standpoint I'd be more excited to be able to announce there were 40 people playing during peak hours than that there was an average of 13 over 24 hours.

If we get more players, I'm sure I'd probably brag about the higher peaks too - marketing is like that. :)

grep wrote:
if anything, I'd love for the count command to return a moving 24 hour average. That would be fun.

There's no irregular patterns between days so a rolling window would return a similar average anyway. That is, dropping the 12am-1am sample period on Monday morning only to pick up a similar value for 12am-1am on Tuesday is pointless. A friday PM + saturday AM window might have a slightly higher average due to people not having to work on Saturday morning and thus playing longer; it's marginal though. Bonanzas have a much more measurable impact in comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:46 am 
Webadmin

SK Character: Viltrax
The system has reported that the goal was checked just after midnight and found that it was achieved!

Well done to all who made the effort to either play more often yesterday, or (even better!) invite a friend or two to try out the game.

The reward is now in effect for 24hrs until the next check just after midnight tonight. The goal will remain unchanged at 20 for the rest of the month; the reward may well change though. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:20 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
Alshain wrote:
The reward is now in effect for 24hrs until the next check just after midnight tonight. The goal will remain unchanged at 20 for the rest of the month; the reward may well change though. :)

Has anyone actually figured out what this is yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:34 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Cyndane - Talys
I could be mistaken, but I don't think I've seen the mud top 50 players in the past couple of years.

Even 30+ seems rare these days.

As for the reward...

Guessing it (or at least part of it) is increased regen.

Quote:
[HP:100%] [ME: 48%] [PE:100%]
>
The comforts of the inn put you at ease.

[HP:100%] [ME: 99%] [PE:100%]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:59 am 
Mortal

#*($ING EPIC REWARD. You have made my adventurous time in my work hours absolutely infinitely better with it.

Thank you. That is all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:50 pm 
Mortal

ObjectivistActivist wrote:
Alshain wrote:

Has anyone actually figured out what this is yet?

Auto rezzes!

Quote:
A demure female elf utters the words, 'znafqugw'.
A demure female elf has performed an exorcism upon you!

The River of Death
You find your disembodied spirit floating in the midst of a haze of
white vapors above a dark, murky river. Where the river begins and
ends is impossible to discern, it seems to stretch forever in every
direction all around you. Somehow, the waters seem to flow above you, below
you, and even through you. The river's current might be carrying you, the
sense of motion present to your mind, yet the feeling cannot be escaped that
somehow you're watching the flowing tides from some great distance...
Obvious exits:

[HP: 11%] [ME: 45%] [PE: 100%]
[Money: zero]

The current sweeps you to a far-off shore.
You feel able to manifest again.
Magical energies swirl about your spirit...
You feel a bit disoriented.
You cough and sputter, having been found yet unready for the Afterlife.
A lost soul, still damp, has returned from the River of Death.
The stones glow eerily...
A glowing portal snaps into existence in the midst of the stones!

[HP: 15%] [ME: 51%] [PE: 100%]

The sun rises in the east.

l

A circle of stones
A vast expanse of hillside spreads out as far as the eye can
|p^h^ see, covered with tall grass that has grown to the height of a
|^*^^ human's thigh. Glimpses of the countryside can be seen between
\^h^^ lush rolling hills. It's clear, warm, and there is absolutely no
wind.
Obvious exits: n e s w nw ne sw se portal
(Glowing) A mystical green portal flickers in the midst of the stones.
A set of rune-inscribed stones frame the center of the clearing here.

say Uh...
You say 'Uh...'

inv
You are carrying:
Nothing.

thnk
Huh? Type 'help' for a list of commands.

thank
You thank the gods for their favor.

Nytomi tells you 'Odd. I cannot bring you back.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:53 pm 
Mortal

My exorcism pierces the heavens. :drunk:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:43 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Theodoric
grep wrote:
Averages mean that they're sort of the same, bro. A combined peak-and-average statistic give more information; if anything, I'd love for the count command to return a moving 24 hour average. That would be fun.

Thank you for the algebra lesson. My point, however, was that while a mathematical average considers 30 people on from 2pm-10pm pacific standard time to be the same as 10 people on from 2pm to 2pm the following day, the former is far more exciting for me as a player to see.

Thanks for the response Alshain and I understand that as an imm you have to consider more than just my time zone. It doesn't change my opinion as a selfish player but it is a fair point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next