Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Doors unlocked by religious symbols
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:16 am 
Mortal

A few doors in the mud cannot be picked or bashed and can only be opened with religious symbols. This wasn't a big deal when doors were first created - plenty of NPCs loaded symbols you could take/request. Nowadays, getting access is extremely difficult. Do any immortals have an opinion on whether including these doors is a good or bad thing in their areas? If we find some of these doors, should we report them?

Post subject: Re: Doors unlocked by religious symbols
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:42 pm 
Mortal

They are that way for a specific reason. Keep your paws off what's inside.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:46 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Toji
As long as there is ONE NPC, ANYWHERE in the game with the symbol you need, or as long as that Faith actively accepts followers, even if it has none now, no. You should not report them.

Quote:
But every faith accepts followers, even if it has none now

Exactly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:38 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: RAWR!
I could be wrong, but I don't think the OP is interested in being limited to the doors to which his own character's symbol unlocks.

I'm inclined to agree with him, actually. There should be ways to get each of the symbols. They should be hard as hell and probably require group cooperation and puzzles, but they should exist.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:56 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
Since it's Gilgon posting it, it most certainly has to do with the fact that all someone has to do is gank you and then sit behind their symbol-only door in order to be completely impervious to any counter-attack.

I am inclined to agree with him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:08 pm 
Mortal

This should include doors only accessible by playing a certain class (merc guild, rogue guild, tower of necromancy).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:33 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Toji
ninja_ardith wrote:
This should include doors only accessible by playing a certain class (merc guild, rogue guild, tower of necromancy).

This.

If a locked door "nerf" is being discussed, it should not be limited to doors that open by certain religious symbols, but ANY door that requires some special condition to apply. Which, in turn, would take out one of the nice things in the MUD in favor of the so called "balance".

Personally, I don't believe in balance. I like that there are rooms and areas in the mud that need special conditions to be accessed. I agree that, eventually, they -should- be accessible to anyone but under specific circumstances.

For example, I'm in favor of having NPCs, or some sort of script to be able to obtain every holy symbol. That solves the symbol-locked doors without having to change or remove them.

I'm in favor of having class-only areas. That forces some players to actually get out there and SOCIALIZE with other people if they want to get in those areas (Gasp! RP!)

So what if some people are using those areas to hide from the peekay? Don't let them do that. If they're constantly like that and can't take the heat, I'm certain the immstaff will be more than happy to teach them a lesson in proper etiquette without having to touch any code, as long as some logs are provided.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:16 pm 
Mortal

Sorry if it was unclear, but this isn't a question that concerns my fear over being unable to access areas: people who have the ability to simply gank one person of each faith and hold onto their symbols don't need to worry about this problem. This question is about whether areas _should_ be built this way. That's why it's in this forum.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:43 pm 
Mortal

Sure. Lets make cabal HQs pickable too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:12 pm 
Mortal

Banhammer wrote:
Sure. Lets make cabal HQs pickable too.

Cabals are exclusive groups, which have HQs that should be a challenge to enter. Religions are not.

I'm with Gilgon on this one, I don't think religions should get religion only areas or hiding places that require a symbol to enter and exit. And if they do, then there should be ways for those not of the faith to enter still whether it be by adding symbols to NPC's in the game. Or changing the existing places so that there is a quest to enter or a backdoor that is a little more difficult to make your way through but still allows entry to others.