Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Donating!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Phreya, Kouin, Nosephthyki
So for those of us in the USA tax season is coming upon us. Yay! :drunk: (no not really :cry: )

Any whose, if you are like me and get paid far less than you are worth there is a good chance you will be getting something back from the government and you might be asking yourself what should I do with my sudden wealth?

1) Pay off some bills - This is a good idea but will it make you happy? Ok yeah maybe in the long run yes, but SK has made you happy all year while you were still paying that bill too.

2) Put it into savings - Also a great idea...but do you really need to save ALL of it? Nah, toss a bit of that hard earned money into the only thing in your life that hasn't cost you all year! (pst I mean SK)

3) Got to Atlantic City or Vegas and gamble - I think this is my favorite, so while doing this, after your first big win, set aside one chip for SK! Then come see me and share the wealth.

4) Ummm something else you can think of that isn't is great as donating to SK.

5) Give it all to SK! - Subtlety is my strong suit.

And to Viltrax/Dulrik I seem to recall the old forums had a button for donating and I can't find it now. I know we can go to the main site for this, but some of us are inherently lazy/dumb and if something is easier we might be more inclined to do it.

Post subject: Re: Donating!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:07 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Amorette
Hehe! I am squarely in the first category (hopefully the second, let's see what I get!) but I'll set some aside for donations to my favorite game!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:12 pm 
Mortal

Once I pay off my student bills (which is like owning a car I can't drive) I would love to donate a bit once in a while. Bad news is I don't think my Student bills will be payed of until the year 3k

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:14 pm 
Gold Donor

SK Character: None
I already chip into SK what I shipped the dealer in Vegas. Am I exempt?

P.S. http://www.shatteredkingdoms.org/donations

(USE THE LINK)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:26 pm 
Implementor

I hate having to rain on this parade, but SK is not a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization. Donations that you make to the game are therefore not tax deductible with the IRS. I actually looked into obtaining this status or the closest equivalent some years ago and attempting to qualify is a huge pain in the rear.

But please donate! Just don't attempt to claim it on your tax return.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:57 pm 
TMS Cheerleader

SK Character: Addison
Count me in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:31 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Phreya, Kouin, Nosephthyki
Dulrik wrote:
I hate having to rain on this parade, but SK is not a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization. Donations that you make to the game are therefore not tax deductible with the IRS. I actually looked into obtaining this status or the closest equivalent some years ago and attempting to qualify is a huge pain in the rear.

But please donate! Just don't attempt to claim it on your tax return.

You aren't raining at all, I was not implying to write it off as a tax deductible donation, I just meant when people get their money back from their taxes that they donate some to SK. With that said, it got me thinking, since SK is not a 501 (c) (3) are you required to claim all of our donations as your personal income? If this isn't something you want to discuss in a public forum a PM or just dropping it is fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:36 am 
Mortal

That's actually a very interesting question, though I think it's unlikely the amount of money is near enough to have many tax implications.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:43 pm 
Mortal

Pulled from the IRS website and probably is what applies in this situation:

Quote:
IRC § 183 Overview
A number of taxpayers who have significant income from other sources reduce their taxable income by reporting losses from activities that may or may not be engaged in for profit. It is up to IRS examiners to make a factual determination whether an activity is engaged in for profit.

On September 27, 2007, the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) issued a report entitled “Significant Challenges Exist in Determining Whether Taxpayers With Schedule C Losses are Engaged in Tax Abuse.” The review looked at high income Small Business/Self-Employed (SB/SE) taxpayers (total income sources of $100,000 or greater) who claimed business losses using a U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (Form 1040) Profit or Loss From Business (Schedule C) for activities considered to be not-for-profit. The results of the audit found the following:

“In general, if a taxpayer has hobby income and expenses, the expense deduction should be limited to the hobby income amount. About 1.5 million taxpayers, many with significant income from other sources, filed form 1040 Schedules C showing no profits, only losses, over consecutive Tax Years 2002 – 2005 (4 years); 73 percent of these taxpayers were assisted by tax practitioners. By claming these losses to reduce their taxable incomes, about 1.2 million of the 1.5 million taxpayers potentially avoided paying $2.8 billion in taxes in Tax Year 2005. Changes are needed to prevent taxpayers from continually deducting losses in potentially not-for-profit activities to reduce their tax liabilities.”

And my guess is that he probably spends more than he gets in donations.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:43 am 
Mortal

So, basically, people have been caught cheating their taxes by claiming a loss for expenditures on non-profit ventures (like hobbies, or like SK), but on the flip-side NOT indicating moneys received (i.e., donations).

As you said NativeWolf, I bet Dulrik spends more than is donated. In any case, IRS seems to be treating it like a hobby. If you spent out-of-pocket (spent more than was donated), then its your problem, your choice, and has nothing to do with your income. SK, therefore, is not a "business" as such, so you can't claim a "loss" for overspending on it. Same as we can't claim our donations to SK.

Essentially, from what NativeWolf posted, Dulrik would need to fill out Schedule C to include all donations to SK, and then all expenditures UP TO BUT NOT EXCEEDING the donation (income) amount. He either made a profit or broke even. And then if there is a profit (as we said, unlikely) then he'd have to explain why a non-profit activity is generating a profit...although then it would (I figure) fall into the same category as money made for odd-jobs (i.e., mowing the neighbor's lawn for $5).

I would think, since all the donation money is being spent (and then some), you wouldn't HAVE to report anything on it. But if you wanted to totally thorough, then sure, claim the donations and then zero it out with expenditures. Just can't file a loss.

At least, that's how it looks to me. How have you done it in the past, Dulrik?