Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Investment, time zones, and player count.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:38 am 
Mortal

Now, to make this sound less like a rant, and more like an attempt at starting a real discussion, I would like to preface this post by saying that my personal, current experience with this issue (of having to wait a long time to get invested) is all but resolved. I have also only had positive interactions with the staff-member responsible, and although I wish the matter had played out differently, I understand how the staff-member acted in accordance to the current policy on investments.

All that being said, I feel the time is ripe to maybe consider some alternative means for getting people invested in religions. I've been stuck in a situation where I rolled a priest, and had my first interaction with people from the religion I wanted to get into, on the second of January. I was also told by said members, that the high-follower I would have to see was almost never around "at this time", meaning that he or she plays in a different timezone. I haven't been invested yet, but as I mentioned above, this particular issue will be resolved soon-ish, so that isn't really a problem...

So, what would people say to some sort of automated investment system, perhaps involving a single npc high priest of each religion at which characters could request and then somehow confirm their wish to follow that religion. I really feel like the player count on SK has been too low to maintain active player interaction (although I understand that player interaction is king) for menial issues such as religious investment for a while now. Particularly because the lack of investment severely stunts your ability to do anything meaningful what so ever with the character.

Also, investplzkthxffs. I'm level 30 with 30 hours played and I'm stuck spamming bloody refresh to have something to do.

Post subject: Re: Investment, time zones, and player count.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:44 am 
Mortal

JeanValjean wrote:
So, what would people say to some sort of automated investment system, perhaps involving a single npc high priest of each religion at which characters could request and then somehow confirm their wish to follow that religion. I really feel like the player count on SK has been too low to maintain active player interaction (although I understand that player interaction is king) for menial issues such as religious investment for a while now. Particularly because the lack of investment severely stunts your ability to do anything meaningful what so ever with the character.

I support an automated investment process. It could even be made into a quest, with an NPC high priest NPC requiring you to complete some task or bring him some object. The player base sometimes cannot even support a high follower or high priest for every religion, much less deal with players seeking investment in off peak hours.

It is not the ideal situation, but it is better than having players wait several days or more to get invested. A veteran player will probably stick around, but a new player is likely to get frustrated and move on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:46 am 
Mortal

FinneyOwnzU wrote:
JeanValjean wrote:

I support an automated investment process. It could even be made into a quest, with an NPC high priest NPC requiring you to complete some task or bring him some object. The player base sometimes cannot even support a high follower or high priest for every religion, much less deal with players seeking investment in off peak hours.

It is not the ideal situation, but it is better than having players wait several days or more to get invested. A veteran player will probably stick around, but a new player is likely to just go move on.

I can confidently say that, I would not have stuck around, if I had been an experienced mudder trying SK for the first time. And a quest of sorts would be super cool, yes. Something to spice it up slightly from just being a toggle of sorts. Yay!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:54 am 
Mortal

For priests/paladins, their investment is crucial. If they don't get it quickly, their ability to adventure and level is stymied. jvj, you probably tried this already, but have you tried praying to the IMM's about this? I know they are generally lenient because of the restrictions of priests and paladins.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:57 am 
Mortal

Galactus wrote:
For priests/paladins, their investment is crucial. If they don't get it quickly, their ability to adventure and level is stymied. jvj, you probably tried this already, but have you tried praying to the IMM's about this? I know they are generally lenient because of the restrictions of priests and paladins.

I've been praying at regular intervals, yes. And I have gotten response, but in the "give it time, player interaction is super cool" way, nothing in terms of investkthx. Which, as I explained in the op, I understand completely given the current rules on the issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:00 am 
Mortal

JeanValjean wrote:
Galactus wrote:

I've been praying at regular intervals, yes. And I have gotten response, but in the "give it time, player interaction is super cool" way, nothing in terms of investkthx. Which, as I explained in the op, I understand completely given the current rules on the issue.

If I sounded offensive, sorry. Just making sure that all options were used.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:01 am 
Mortal

Galactus wrote:
JeanValjean wrote:
Galactus wrote:

If I sounded offensive, sorry. Just making sure that all options were used.

And if I sounded defensive, I'm sorry, that wasn't what I was trying to come off as. :D :) :lol: I should start using smileys when I'm not angry or being sarcastic. :drunk: :lol: :P :oops: :wink: :D :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:17 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Caric
Idea.
Step one: Some clear information for new priests to to contact high follows (with IC information of current high followers of all religions) potentially from priests who you can use the Heal command with something like a Faith command.
Step two: Information about how to write HF a note on the notice boards with a tag on special note so the HF gets a message (similar to the bonus XP one) talking about a new person seeks the faith.
Step Three: If HF can not get in touch with lowbie they can start a short religion induction via notes one or two days worth so this is the tricky part also checking alignments could be a tricky issue.
Step Four(The Kicker): Have a induction scripted tied to a NPC. HF starts the script with a name of a player. When the player enters the room with the NPC he asks a conformation question when answered induction happens.

Example HF says to priest "I wish you to induct JeanValjean." Priest records name JeanValjean and checks it against players who enter the room. When JeanValjean enters the room. Priest says to JeanValjean Do you wish to confirm your faith to Algorab. Jeanvaljean Yes. JeanValjean has been inducted into Algorab faith.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:33 am 
Mortal

Just make sure that it needs to be "approved" by the HF at some point (or an IMM again at a later point). Make it a pseudo investment, of sorts, so that they can level unobstructed and get on with their RP. But don't take all the power out of the HFs hands, I've had some IMM-inductees during times when I was HF who would then claim that they were Deity-mandated or something and be completely disrespectful.

It really does take time out of your schedule having to smack them back into line.

Last edited by Konge on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:40 am 
Mortal

I like both the last two ideas actually, or at least I love the idea of having some temporary system to tide people over till they can get together with a HF.