Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why no RP around the old gods?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:11 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
If you have these masses of people who want to roleplay your scenario, then roleplay it.

However, what I am hearing is complaining that the immstaff hasn't come along to do it for you. If you cannot roleplay your character without requiring an imm to actively be involved with supporting it, then I propose that you have chosen a poor roleplay scenario to pursue. This is just one RP idea among thousands that pass through SK, and the vast majority of those do NOT require active imm involvement to be played, and its just one in thousands that has bubbled up and (based on what you are saying here) fizzled out in no time, because it hasn't the merit to sustain itself.

I recommend instead of creating an RP idea that is at odds with the reality on the ground in SK and the many-year history leading up to this point and that apparently cannot exist without admin support, try developing a roleplay that can be roleplayed and furthered on its own merits and can be sustained by the involvement of these legions of players who like and support it. That's how you prove you have a good concept that attracts and KEEPS players involved, and once you've done that, you're a lot more likely to see some active admin support. But don't throw out some idea that implodes in a couple of weeks and complain because the SK landscape and lore wasn't rewritten to reflect it.

We have a big pantheon and a small playerbase. Dabi's church is a small one. Im okay with that, it's the reality of religions in SK. Some people are interested in roleplaying the church, others are not. So what? I certainly don't see how trying to create yet one more religious faction does anything but widen an already shallow pool of characters across them all. Ain has like 1 active follower in each branch, Algorab's got a small church, Dulrik has a small church... Create a character to join one of these churches if that bothers you.

For the record, no email was ever sent to the Dabi email address listed in game proposing or asking anything. The PM I got tonight is the first you ever contacted me. And the fact that Dabi DID take time even for that brief voodoo should have given you some inclination that SOMEBODY was at least watching. It's not my place to write your RP for you, nor to implement it for you, and if that RP can't move on its own legs, I've got LOTS of other things Im invested in to work on that will take priority over propping up an RP Im not invested in, and that the originators of aren't invested in enough to stick it out.

Please note that I mean none of this to be criticism, but just an honest assessment of the scenario from my perspective, being as plainly honest as I can, before I fall asleep in my chair.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:36 pm 
Immortal

Ps-

There is nothing in the Dabi help file that states that Zynor survived and remains sleeping somewhere. So any theories out there suggesting he is still there, waiting to be woken up are just that- theories, not necessarily fact/reality.

Im probably not going to be inclined to support an RP scenario that establishes in fact/ reality the idea that Zynor is waiting to be woken up and Dabi as a bratty 4-year old wearing daddy's shoes. The static pantheon was planned and executed over several years to get us to a point of an unchanging pantheon of true immortals in-game, who don't rise up and pass away like the gods of old. This aspect of SK's gods is part of the overall structured plan for Pyrathia's world environment.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:47 pm 
Mortal

Except for Dulrik.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:50 pm 
Mortal

When we read the words "structured plan," there's a worryling closed-ended nature to it. So I guess that's where people like meztiso might be feeling left out: a plan was, in fact, made. She wasn't part of the meeting. But some people, through various GRP opportunities, manage to get their feet in the door.

If there is in fact a plan, sharing it might help people come up with ideas that you guys don't have to keep shooting down.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:50 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Theodoric
Post removed for flaming and off topic content.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:52 am 
Immortal

grep wrote:
When we read the words "structured plan," there's a worryling closed-ended nature to it. So I guess that's where people like meztiso might be feeling left out: a plan was, in fact, made. She wasn't part of the meeting. But some people, through various GRP opportunities, manage to get their feet in the door.

If there is in fact a plan, sharing it might help people come up with ideas that you guys don't have to keep shooting down.

Now youre just trolling. Read HELP GODS.

It is clearly visible right there, and available to all players, just as it has been for years.

Players have the ability to impact and change a great many things. The structure of the pantheon is not one of those things. Even the most open-ended games still need a structured environment in which to work and play. The makeup of the pantheon has never been open to change by the playerbase, has always been the realm of the immstaff, and the concept of the static pantheon was decided by the game implementor in the 90's and rolled out over time by the immstaff, who often created RP events to roll them out for the purpose of creating events that the playerbase could actively play and take part in.

This is hardly restrictive or unfair or limiting of anybody's RP, and to expect otherwise is quite frankly ridiculous and selfishly absurd. If you cannot accept that a game world framework exists within which to write your story, then it sounds like you cannot ever be satisfied with anything short of absolute authority, in which case it sounds like SK isn't the game you want to play, but some other game built and designed solely by yourself.

I think I've been more than fair in the time I've already taken here to explain things, and all that's really left to say is if you don't like it-- tough.

It is what it is. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:53 am 
Immortal

Teh_Peso wrote:
Except for Dulrik.

LoL. Well, he's always the exception to the rule, no? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:15 am 
Mortal

dalamar wrote:
grep wrote:

Now youre just trolling. Read HELP GODS.

It is clearly visible right there, and available to all players, just as it has been for years.

Players have the ability to impact and change a great many things. The structure of the pantheon is not one of those things. Even the most open-ended games still need a structured environment in which to work and play. The makeup of the pantheon has never been open to change by the playerbase, has always been the realm of the immstaff, and the concept of the static pantheon was decided by the game implementor in the 90's and rolled out over time by the immstaff, who often created RP events to roll them out for the purpose of creating events that the playerbase could actively play and take part in.

This is hardly restrictive or unfair or limiting of anybody's RP, and to expect otherwise is quite frankly ridiculous and selfishly absurd. If you cannot accept that a game world framework exists within which to write your story, then it sounds like you cannot ever be satisfied with anything short of absolute authority, in which case it sounds like SK isn't the game you want to play, but some other game built and designed solely by yourself.

I think I've been more than fair in the time I've already taken here to explain things, and all that's really left to say is if you don't like it-- tough.

It is what it is. :)

Not trolling. Making the valid point that private designs feel like cliques to outsiders, and by extension, newcomers. If people are encouraged to plan, but the plans they must work within remain hidden, it's a guessing game.

What's absurd is expecting people to enjoy being handed pre-planned events just because someone else has put some time into them. There's a difference between writing, worldbuilding, storytelling, and roleplay. Frankly, it just sounds like more of the pre-planned, practically scripted kind of roleplay I got whenever I was near Kura. There was always a feeling that there's a word document with everything meaningful that's going to happen ready to be copy-pasted in, and I'm just there to read it and react to it. That's the impression.

If this isn't limiting, then why are people shot down for ideas? That's a shizophrenic claim right up there with "any color you want as long as its black." Charming, but false.

Dissent isn't trolling. Discourse shouldn't be trolling.

Not being interested in whether people like what you like doing is certainly one way to approach being a creative force of authority in a social environment. I can't say it's ever been found to be a very successful one.

Last edited by grep on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:21 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
There are plenty of opportunities for IMM involvement to be requested by players and for IMM involvement to be primarily governed by player events. The pantheon of gods is not one of these circumstances. If you're involved in a church and a GRP shows up on the forum board involving it, you can probably get in on the action, but just because one person feels like Zynor was cool and should come back isn't a very valid reason to initiate a change to the pantheon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:22 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Considering that the staff has, in the past eight months or so alone, implemented no fewer than three (probably more that I'm forgetting) brand-new mini-areas, gutted a city with a plague and supplemented countless small-scale RP interactions with things like echoes, items, and the like based solely on the RP of players, I can honestly claim to have no idea what you're talking about when you say that players can only work off of the staff script.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next