Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why no RP around the old gods?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:25 am 
Mortal

Edoras wrote:
There are plenty of opportunities for IMM involvement to be requested by players and for IMM involvement to be primarily governed by player events. The pantheon of gods is not one of these circumstances. If you're involved in a church and a GRP shows up on the forum board involving it, you can probably get in on the action, but just because one person feels like Zynor was cool and should come back isn't a very valid reason to initiate a change to the pantheon.

There's the rub, though. "Requested." The request is granted or denied. There is logic behind the denial or the granting. There are things influencing the logic. These things are not freely shared with people before they make their requests.

Can you follow the reasoning and see why that *might* be considered something that doesn't promote newbie participation or veteran risk-taking? People already stereotyped Meztiso's reply; do you think that's going to make it easier for something to work out for him?

Meissa, all these things happened, sure. How much of those RP interactions were "on rails"?

Step outside of all the particulars for a bit and look at the design of it all. Don't worry about being such apologists for a status quo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:16 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
... Yes, RP requests are just that requests, because they're asking for the time and effort from someone on the staff. And yes, like all requests, RP requests have the ability to be approved or denied. And yes, RP requests, like all requests, may contain some constraints. This is basic common sense, and you seem to be purposefully ignoring it.

If you have a friend who asks you to help him move, then you have the opportunity to say yes or no. It's a request. Also, if you say yes and once you arrive he says "Oh, and by the way this is going to take about twenty hours and we're going to need to use your car to move everything, hope you don't mind paying for gas and driving while I sleep in between trips" then you certainly might be like "no way dude, either we meet somewhere in the middle or it's a no go." This does not mean that every person in the world should create a manifesto for what constitutes an acceptable "move-in favor" and what doesn't, and any constraints that should be adhered to in the midst of it.

Factor in the knowledge that the IMM staff is in a position of authority over us as players and are not, actually, real-life immortals, but instead are people with obligations and things to do outside the game, and it makes perfect sense that A) not every RP idea happens and B) not every RP that gets approved can happen in the exact way that everyone would like. Advice on how to run events is helpful. Constant snipping and second-guessing without any actual constructive advice isn't helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:46 pm 
Mortal

I don´t want people to think that I don´t think the Immstaff is great. They are truly amazing. I have actually have had a mostly great experience whenever I interact with the Immstaff, both IC and OOC. I have been involved in my fair share (or more) of GRP with staff aid. I don´t feel i have more problems then anyone else in getting RP started. You guys are acting like I only push for Zynor RP over and over while not doing anything else. Also, having a couple of other players willing to RP Zynor is not the same as having Masses wanting to RP Zynor. I never said I had a huge group of people wanting to RP Zynor. I don´t know many people OOCly. My YIM only has 3 people on the list and I mostly ask them for technical information like where should I level, what happened to Kyrchire etc...

My question is pretty basic. Why is RP revolved around the old gods so taboo and suppressed. If Cendre really did get the staff to do some RP with an old god, it would be upsetting. I would like to know how Cendre got a staff member to go along with it, so I could do it myself. If however there is no real reason for it other then the staff member is a friend of Cendre (I don´t know if it is true or not) then i would be very upset. I do give the staff the benefit of the doubt that whatever situation Cendre did to get the RP could be done if the situation is right. I don´t think I am asking for anything out of line.

You can say I sent my first PM to you yesterday, but it was not the first PM I sent. I did not know you were Dabi until yesterday. I also asked OOCly when i was leveling an alt (the one I am thinking of making my new main) when I was reached because I did not set up my description. I also was not the only one trying to get the staff involved. Point is, the effort was put in.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:17 pm 
Mortal

Well, that certainly explains a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:08 pm 
Immortal (Inactive)

SK Character: Alshain
To clarify, Cendre did not start the Yenko RP another player did and they did not ask for IMM involvement directly. The situation the players created on their own happened to work with something we wanted to do and so we discussed a plan that had a few possible outcomes, but would ultimately end with the closing off Mortoon. The ONLY involvement the IMMs aka myself, really had with Yenko is that I saw players already involved with it was I saw it and had an idea. If you go out and start an RP and it takes off and an IMM notices and decided to get involved or can use it for something great. But if not, I'm sorry, it happens sometimes. Sometimes it is just a matter of timing. I was not approached with an idea about Yenko and thought Oh yay, dead gods RP let's do that! At the moment the current pantheon is involved in things that do not line up with Zynor and we literally are flooded with things everyday, we have to make decisions and honestly if we have to spend this kind of time explaining every decision we make, we will never get to the things we need to do, like help files, like new building, like improving newbie areas, like balancing mechanics, like rewarding RP, like creating be quests, like making sure cabals and tribunals have adequate leadership, etc. So please do not take the fact that we don't explain every decision with an essay or take the time to write history books at the drop of a hat as personal. We do or best to balance what we feel is most important at the time with the time we have while still maintaining some semblance of a personal life as well as maintaining full time employment or families. We love what we do. We love the game. We love the players. Try to remember it is all done from that point of view. Thank you.

Disclaimer- written on my phone from work, please pardon the typos.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:16 pm 
Mortal

To be fair, I only asked because I have tried multiple times and I heard someone else had done it. Sure, I was curious everytime I was turned down, but as you said ¨You should not be asked to explain everything you guys do¨.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:59 pm 
Mortal

Alshain wrote:
So please do not take the fact that we don't explain every decision with an essay or take the time to write history books at the drop of a hat as personal.

An essay at a drop of a hat isn't necessary, but would you be open to an end of the month dissertation highlighting all points with thorough examination of thought and action made at the time of action? Forty pages, single spaced should suffice. Will also accept drawings of stick men in lieu of one page.

Alshain wrote:
Disclaimer- written on my phone from work, please pardon the typos.

Every time you typo, a newbie hoards an item.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:08 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
I've been trying to answer your question here, but apparently the message Im trying to express is not being understood or the answer is being argued a la grep.

Your choice of roleplay is not "taboo". I thought I had expressed several times here your freedom to pursue that choice of roleplay as you want, along with the people who want to roleplay it with you. Perhaps I misunderstood you, but it sounded like you were saying there were large numbers of players who shared your desire to roleplay this scenario.

At this point, I don't know if your desire is to roleplay an idea that you find interesting or if it is to be part of a roleplay that has imm involvement and active support.

If its the first, I've been trying to tell you to go for it!!! Roleplay it! Nothing has stopped you. Roleplaying a war against the Dabi religion may be difficult due to the low number of members in that religion, so it seems sensical to take that into consideration.

If you just want to be part of an RP that has imm involvement, I've been trying to explain that to you as well. Zynor is gone and he's not coming back, that's just a reality in the game world, and arguing or getting upset won't change that, I don't know how else to say it that will be any more clear.

I've also tried to tell you that you are much more likely to get an imm's attention if you just play your character, pursue your roleplay on its own long term merit. If I see that you have a significant RP concept that is spurring activity in the game and generating interest with other players over the span of a few months, or if an imm sees that your storyline coincides with something else that they are doing, then you have a much better chance of an imm becoming involved in it.

I feel like I've spent a vast amount of time answering your questions carefully and thoughtfully, but because you do not like the answer you've received, that arguments have been thrown back, and I don't know how to say any more nicely than I have already that the answer won't change, no matter how much it's argued. Perhaps Im lumping you and grep together unfairly, but I hear the same tune being sung by both of you, and all I perceive is a refusal to accept the answers that you've received.

How much can we beat a dead horse? :-?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:12 pm 
Mortal

dalamar wrote:

Until it is falling off the bone tender.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:37 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
Travorn wrote:
dalamar wrote:

Until it is falling off the bone tender.

Where's the BBQ sauce?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next