Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Religion channel
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:33 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Ivan, Mythros
This isn't a global chat, it is a group chat. A global chat would encompass the entire playerbase. As for what Gat mentioned, the symbol and the religion flag together would trigger the ability to use the chat and hear it. Would that butter your biscuit on the topic?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:45 pm 
Mortal

Flag to talk, symbol to listen. It'd make symbols actually mean something, which is something that'd be cool.

It just seems to me a natural idea that any faction or group with an OOC forum board should have some way of communicating in real-time in-game to lend that unifying spirit in-game as well as outside of it.

I've joined cabals before only for the convenient roleplay that CB provides, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Having this for religion, while policing it like everything else of course, doesn't strike me as a bad idea.

But for some reason people really don't like broadcast-type chat in the game.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:21 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Gailehn, Stephanov
grep wrote:
But for some reason people really don't like broadcast-type chat in the game.

In many games, channels, particularly OOC channels, clutter up RP. There certainly have been many other realms out there with a 'more channels is better' philosophy. This is a reason we have a mentoring system and not a mentoring channel. That would border on the 'clutter' if there was a newbie channel. It's not terribly hard to identify a new player to the game now, or for a new player to find someone to get aid from (mentor system, or just who list/tell).

I don't find that channels we have replace RP or diminish it, in Shattered Kingdoms, but are there to support it. Personally, I think a religion channel would help promote more interactions, camaraderie, and IC community development.

I appreciate the thought of making symbols useful for something but it seems at least twice a year we go through this whole argument to try and get symbols more accessible to players, even by a script when HF are not available to no avail. I don't think it's terribly wise to put a game mechanic on something that people have trouble getting hold of readily.

Perhaps, the compromise could be a 1 way channel. From HF out to the faith with which to share pertinent information. Another thought I'd be more behind supporting is (of course) the ability to post to all of one's faith in a note readily (note to wisdom, note to hate, etc, based on the keywords of our religions in the who list.) ... similar note - that would be nice to do with tribunals and cabals as well....

Pook