Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Priests and Praying!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:44 am 
Mortal

Okay, my second attempt at priesting. This one already farther than the last. However, I'm hung up on a few things. My first, and biggest question is this. How much should I, as a priest, rely on Divine Assistance?

I am a priest in a religion that's otherwise absent. I know of only one other even in the faith, though I haven't seen him on the realms since his induction. So I'm left without much guidance in the faith itself. I expect to use in-game sources like books and such to figure out as much as I can about the faith. However, there's much I don't know about the various commands. Like where the grand temple is, what my religion spell even is, other theological inputs regarding the Immortal my character's following. Should this all be stuff I figure out for myself? Should I pester Immortals with prays?

Furthermore, how often should I pray? Should I send up IC prayers with the actual pray command? I usually just RP it out solo (Yes, I RP when noone's looking!). My first and only 'main' guy never joined a religion, and the other priest I had was in an active religion, so I pestered other players. I like this character concept, though, just a little lost in 'how to priest'.

My only other guess is to find bards ICly and rely on Bardic Knowledge (BS roll, anyone?) to guide me.

Other questions are related more to newbie matters.

Post subject: Re: Priests and Praying!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:18 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Amorette
pester immortals with prays :devil:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:39 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Arkex, Chronis, Azoreth, Kyln
I don't think you can really just get a "pray ooc: hey, where do I learn my spell?"
but if you go to one of your temples, send up an ooc pray saying 'hey i'm here, needing info' then send one up IC with some decent, "I need help" kinda stuff, they might take over the npc you're near and can give you some advice there. Imm interaction is always fun.
GL with your priest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:39 pm 
Mortal

When it comes to a priest having a distinct lack of information and minimal resources to obtaining that info, I'd say pray once or twice a day (at varying hours) until you get some sort of response. You could also rp with people in hopes that they might have tips or information, but with things like faith spells, there are very few characters outside of a religion that can be relied on to know the information.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:23 pm 
Mortal

Depends entirely on who is playing your God. Some love mortal interaction, some are NERV style.

You have to play the game outside the game to really have any foothold in this, because there's no set policy on it.

Make no mistake; I think this is a good thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:35 pm 
Mortal

Gotcha. More to the point, I was just wondering if it was taboo to pester. Seems it's not 'taboo', may not be effective, but not taboo. I'll be sure to do so at the next altar/shrine to the Immortal I come across.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:49 pm 
Mortal

Prayers are real-time and any immortal not in a position to be both online and in the right mode to hear them ... won't.

More practically, I'll put it like this: you'll generally find out if someone finds it offensive once they're offended.

There are people up there that you really don't want to offend.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:58 pm 
Mortal

In character prayers are totally viable. Just role play it well.

All prayers are, from my understanding, logged. So pray once and then leave it be a few IRL hours before you pray again. Just because an IMM Is about doesn't mean they're not busy preventing the end of the sk world. If you pester them they'll revoke your prayer rights.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:21 pm 
Implementor

Ezeant, last week your post would have been wrong. Prayers had never been logged. As of this week though, you are now correct. This is a new administration feature that will be mentioned as part of the next big update notice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:46 am 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
Ezeant, last week your post would have been wrong. Prayers had never been logged. As of this week though, you are now correct. This is a new administration feature that will be mentioned as part of the next big update notice.

+1

I think this is a great feature.

Sometimes, with IC prayers, it takes many days to get a response because of timing (which is totally understandable). I'm sure this will help with that.