Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Meissa Help File
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:26 pm 
Mortal

I'd like to confirm whether the Meissa faith is bound to everything in its help file. I ask because it seems awfully prescriptive compared to the help files of other faiths.

Part of the fun of the sphere system is finding clever ways to define the words that still fit the god's personality, but that are also interesting to play out. But the Meissa file describes all the spheres in detail. As an example, here's less than half of what's written about Art:

Quote:
Expressing one's self through Art is a form of Healing in its own right, and exploring the Art created by others can give insights to their innermost truths. As such, each form of Art is valued equally, from musical and written word composition to sculpture and painting to collage and mosaic and beyond.

So a priest that claims art's value comes from the wonders it communicates so well, or who says sculpture is a particularly valuable art form worth emphasizing, seems to be a blemishable heretic.

Personally, I also find the Unity sphere off-putting. Not that there's anything wrong with the sphere itself. While the most recent generation of "My Little Pony" would be grossly inappropriate for SK's setting, it illustrates how much fun you can have with the harmony concept. But the help file insists upon:

Quote:
Meissa's flock seeks to become perfectly-tuned instruments of Good so that they may easily find themselves in harmony with others of the Light.

One of the problems of playing a lightie priest is balancing IC obligations with what's OOCly fun. That the help file encourages being a cog in Team Good isn't helpful in striking a good balance. It also pushes being a peacemaker, which is fine in measure. However, being an instigator in faith rivalries can be fun, and it can also provide enjoyable conflict for the game. (It's not PK, of course, but even fountain RPers need some conflict.)

This isn't to say the help file is bad. It even makes good IC sense that a unity faith would have a well-developed creed to stop disagreements. But given that Meissa's religion spell already seems a bit of an obstacle to players, I want to check if this additional obstacle is really intended.

Post subject: Re: Meissa Help File
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:13 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Meissa's spell may currently be incredibly amazing. Just saying.

Also, the help file is, indeed, fashioned in such a way that the faith can be... more Unified over the tenants. It is not designed to stifle interpretations, but in the transition and addition of the Unity sphere, I felt over clarification was better than under clarification. It was something New and different to shove a new sphere that clearly defines a "boring" art and healing faith into one that explains clearly why it is absolutely lightie with no room for grays.

I don't see a problem with a preference for one art form over another. I don't see a problem with conflict - or a conflict of interest in a character that is both Meissan and, say, a crusader. There are many ways to seek to be perfectly tuned, after all.

I could dial back the help file a bit; I'm not entirely opposed, but I hope this at least explains where I was coming from writing it as I did.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:21 pm 
Mortal

Thanks for the guidance. I'm not suggesting any specific change; it's enough to understand what's really set in stone.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:21 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Rolf
Meissa wrote:

Did the Meissa spell change? Or are you being sarcastic?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:24 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
Opey wrote:
Meissa wrote:

Did the Meissa spell change? Or are you being sarcastic?

Not being sarcastic. The Meissa spell rocks around the clock! :drunk:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:29 pm 
Mortal

I have found it to be quite helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:37 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Rolf
It used to be a craptastic crapball. When did it change?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:18 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
About a month ago.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:47 am 
Implementor

I find it refreshing that the old boys network did not know about it on the first day. There were reasons for that, but its nice that other people have been using it under the radar for several weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:11 am 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
I find it refreshing that the old boys network did not know about it on the first day. There were reasons for that, but its nice that other people have been using it under the radar for several weeks.

Ha! I don't even know what the spell use to do!