Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Courtesy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:35 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Walthur
Hello all, it's been quite a while since we last spoke. I began sk around 2000, maybe before, and haven't played seriously now for a couple of years at least. I wanted to commend the sk staff on implementing rules that dictate courteous conduct because that has always been the sole reason for my departure, no matter what new mechanics/rp occur. Thank you for listening.

Post subject: Re: Courtesy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:45 am 
Implementor

Welcome back! Happy to see you back around these parts! There is definitely always a period of adjustment for everyone.

PS. Moved this topic to The Pantheon because it's the intended place to comment on game policies now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:26 am 
Mortal

I agree re: courtesy -- thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:38 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
Mr.Treefinger wrote:
Hello all, it's been quite a while since we last spoke. I began sk around 2000, maybe before, and haven't played seriously now for a couple of years at least.

I remember you, nice to "see" you again. Welcome back!
Thank you for the kind words.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:33 pm 
Mortal

Welcome back!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:25 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Theodoric
Dulrik wrote:
There is a standing guideline on SK that we only expand the rules when abuses make it clear that we can't continue onward without them. Although sarcasm has not been explicitly called out as against the rules, if Lumiere and ProfessorMomo don't learn how to use it wisely, we may have to expand again pretty quickly.

PS. It isn't about this thread in particular. You guys are deliberately making a nuisance of yourselves in every thread you are participating. It's very obvious.

Pulling a quote from another thread...

Edoras wrote:
I know that the staff has to deal with a lot of troublemakers who don't see an issue with breaking the spirit of the law without breaking the letter of it, but don't forget, all of the other players who would like to see the spirit of the law are here also

I think this gets bluntly to the real issue. I think the rule you are looking for "Don't be a pill." If you have someone you're constantly have to make rules around, do you really think that adding or refining rules is going to fix the issue? I think getting rid of General Discussion was justified and that the expanded forum conduct policy makes sense. But I'd hate to see you go any further, especially to do something like restrict "sarcasm" because a couple users can't conduct themselves civilly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:37 pm 
Mortal

There's nothing wrong with posting to oppose the current rules. Several people have made suggestions for change without the slightest hint of objection from the staff. The staff has even encouraged this by responding to the underlying issues, even if that didn't mean a change in the policy.

I would suggest that Dulrik's post is based more on spam. Additional sarcastic posts have no real chance of loosening the policy, so why not try something else? Since you believe the current policy is bad for the game, make your case and suggest an alternative.

Personally, I think the current policy is a success. If the policy were being enforced as strictly as the letters permit, I'd be disappointed - but that's clearly not what's happening. We're being asked to trust the immortals to be sensible in their moderation. That strikes me as a reasonable request for an immortal-run game. If anyone has a real beef with the staff, we have an avenue to report it, and it's not the forums. In return for our trust, we get a significantly more welcoming forum, which is no small thing for a social game.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:11 pm 
Mortal

I'm going to agree with Mr.Treefinger.

Very well done, and thank you.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:45 pm 
Gold Donor

I remember you Mr.Treefinger, and join in saying welcome back!

The new forum format is awesome, and the courtesy rules are great! Kudos to Dulrik and the staff for implementing and maintaining these rules (that really should be common human behaviour)!