It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Modern day slang
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:06 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Ivalyn
Lumiere wrote:

Question two:

Does this attitude towards profanity improve the game quality, or the enjoyment of the game by its existing players?

It's an adult game... has adult content... some adults use profanity. For some characters, it probably makes perfect sense for them to speak so. *shrugs* I suppose that my not being offended by it could sway my perspective.

Better someone types out a bit of profanity than the word kill followed by your name in some instances. :wink:

-G

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:37 pm 
Mortal

Lumiere wrote:
Question one:

Would Ardith have gotten the same imm punishment for his use of 'modern language' if he hadn't used it against the mortal leader of a faction that Meissa directs, as well as her personal hot tub buddy and breakfast waffle companion?

He was reported for two separate incidents by two different players, but I guess that doesn't fit your narrative or give you license to snipe at Grep for roleplaying your character into submission.

Lumiere wrote:
Question two:

Does this attitude towards profanity improve the game quality, or the enjoyment of the game by its existing players?

Yes, it improves the quality of the game. Have you ever interacted with someone like Choensaeng that drops f-bombs as an adjective and adverb? It gets tiresome very quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:38 pm 
Mortal

You can beat bad RP with all the sticks you want- it won't cause good RP to spontaneously generate to replace it. Profanity can be hilarious and tastefully dramatic. Just ask Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

I'm not suggesting that Ardith didn't use modern language, I'm just suggesting that there may be less attention paid to other players' language use, because they are other players. I'm sure anyone with enough logged hours has seen dozens of instances of OOC innuendo, modern word usage, etc that don't get punished.

I have.

If we accept the premise that we need authority-holders to regulate these instances, we have to then accept massive inconsistency as only a small percentage of these breaches are punished. We inevitably form our own theories about how much of this is bias, and how much is just not being everywhere, all the time- and we are never offered concrete evidence one way or another.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:21 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Considering precisely zero IMMs sit around actively trying to snoop these things happening and that we acted on reports/complaints from players, I would have to conclude that only a small percentage of these instances get reported. I know we've never gotten any from you, despite your witnessing them all the time.

Proof of who reports what and when is not something we are going to provide, but if you did make a report and we failed to take action on it, I am guessing you'd have a more solid base for this conspiracy theory.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:39 pm 
Mortal

What percentage of reports against players culminate in a punishment?

I've mentioned a player's sexually demeaning comments which could, by the same license with which 'play nice' rules are interpreted, be understood as sexual harassment to multiple users, more than a month ago. Nothing came from that.

-

Some people don't log.

Of those who do, some people don't report to the imms.

Of those who do, they report selectively.

-

If you're basing your enforcement decisions on this, especially in a game whose playing pits people against each other and creates OOC enmity, the hammer of justice isn't going to whack every mole on the head.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:50 am 
Mortal

It's really simple, use "modern" slang if you want, but don't be a (modern slang)ing idiot about it. Now quit trying to throw your (modern slang)'s around and go (modern slang) some chick(dude) you just met at a bar(internet chatroom).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:38 am 
Mortal

Meissa wrote:
Considering precisely zero IMMs sit around actively trying to snoop these things happening and that we acted on reports/complaints from players, I would have to conclude that only a small percentage of these instances get reported. I know we've never gotten any from you, despite your witnessing them all the time.

Proof of who reports what and when is not something we are going to provide, but if you did make a report and we failed to take action on it, I am guessing you'd have a more solid base for this conspiracy theory.

Probably evidence that the vast majority of the playerbase doesn't care about these language rules.

I've no reason to believe why using words in the English lexicon is bad RP, or "uncreative" (not sure I've seen a proper defense for this assertion), as the 8 languages in SK sound an awful lot like 21st century English.

It's only used by players to harass other players they do not like. I'm pretty sure that's all it is used for, and the game would be better off without heavyhanded draconian rules like these.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:01 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
The 8 languages of Pyrathia look a lot like 21st century English. That's because that's the language in which the game is written in and the language in which the players communicate with each other. However, I liken this phenomenon to something like a babelfish. The vogons didn't starts speaking English when Arthur Dent put it in his ear.... He could just hear them clearly as though they were. It's kind of much to assume that people would actually learn and communicate in 8 completely new and unique languages just for a text-based game. But I have seen plenty of people over the years roleplay the differences in look/sound of the languages as well as adopt certain nonsense words or phrases that they attribute meaning to in certain languages that doesn't translate into others so well. It's all in what you make of it.

Lumiere, you made an unsubstantiated claim on the forums that, if I recall, wasn't even about an interaction you had in game. The player you were attempting to defend did not speak up, and no actual administrative-level complaint was lodged, even by you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:10 am 
Mortal

All claims are unsubstantiated if you don't follow up on them. This question has been asked elsewhere- when are logs evidence, and when are they falsifiable?

You could have just followed up and asked the other harassed person.

However, this clearly didn't get your attention. I was defending both myself and another player. The other player didn't speak up- did you bother asking her? Or is this one of those countries where the sexual harassment goes unpunished, because the victim doesn't want to go through the difficult process of speaking out?

If you receive player complaints of ardith using modern slang, they're substantiated. If you receive player complaints of one of your favorites sexually harassing people, IDGAF.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:57 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
From Meissa's story, there weren't any complaints directed to the staff.

From your story, you "mentioned a player's sexually demeaning comments." I'm not exactly sure what that means, but it seems to imply that you didn't directly message staff about it, but might have just posted about it somewhere on the forums.

If you did message staff, then there was clearly a communication breakdown somewhere. I'd appreciate it if you guys could just take this to private messages, because if it's a thing that's actually happening in-game or on the forums it needs to stop. If you didn't send a message/email a staff member before, you should do so now.