Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Staff training us not to share knowledge...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:02 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Noragh, Rhakeesh, Eralenax
It keeps happening.

Someone asks my character where they can find something like a bag that holds a lot, or armor with greater innate runes.. and of course, loving to share, I show them. Then, the next time I go acquire said item, it will have been gimped! Bags that held a lot now hold little, innate great runes are now moderate or slight. It happens enough that I'm actively afraid to share my knowledge with others.

If the goal is to train the playerbase to never share information for gear of gimping, you're doing it right.

Post subject: Re: Staff training us to not share knowledge...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:12 am 
Mortal

It's not you, they're just wimping everything they enjoyed as players, and no one knows why.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:59 am 
Mortal

Sharing knowledge and items getting gimped have nothing to do with each other. Staff balancing items that are deemed OP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:46 am 
Mortal

I'm talking specifically about mining the playerbase for things to gimp. Gimp/modify all you want, but don't ask players for good loot with your mortals, then log your IMM and gimp the items you asked about.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:57 am 
Mortal

I do my best to share any knowledge that I have with other characters if asked for it, even if not sometimes. This comes with a danger of course. I believe that items are weighed on their "how good this item is" vs "how easy this item is to get" and adjusted accordingly. For example, if an item has innate great runes to fortitude, but is really easy to get, chances are it will get nerfed. However there is a distinct discrepancy that takes place when sharing knowledge. There are tons of items out that are challenging to acquire, and have good saves/etc on them. Note that by challenging I don't necessarily mean fights, this could be puzzles, mazes, or even simple things like knowing where the heck a key is to a lock. Now the problem is if the player at hand knows what they are about, it is pretty easy. If this player is helpful to others and actively shares their character knowledge, then these once difficult to acquire items become easier to get because they know how. Under normal circumstances items in question would still be very difficult to get at, yet they are not perceived this way by the staff because people will share the knowledge.

So sometimes I think the path to self discovery can be a painful one. If you stumble into an area, and take the time and effort to solve it of your own accord (because hey you like solving puzzles on your own) only to find that the reward items have been nerfed, that blows. Turns out those items were nerfed because the items were thought to be too easy to get! Because everyone knew how to get them, because people shared knowledge! Gasp!

Basically I think there is a huge gap between "how hard an item is to get" and "how hard the person nerfing the item thinks it is to get" simply because of varying player knowledge. This turns nerfing some items into a jab at veterans more than a balancing issue. Do I think this happens a lot? Honestly I have no clue, but I do think it has happened.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:49 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Quote:
but don't ask players for good loot with your mortals, then log your IMM and gimp the items you asked about.

:o
I'm sorry you feel this way, but this is absolutely not happening.

We can have a discussion about how it is determined that something is too easy to gain, if you would like. I have moved the thread to the appropriate forum for such.

Post subject: Re: Staff training us not to share knowledge...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:56 am 
Immortal (Inactive)

I have to agree with Meissa on this one. It may feel like some sort of conspiracy, but I'm pretty sure it's just a coincidence. I don't think I understand why a staff member would need to mine information about loot from morts anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:11 am 
Mortal

Meissa wrote:
Quote:
but don't ask players for good loot with your mortals, then log your IMM and gimp the items you asked about.

:o
I'm sorry you feel this way, but this is absolutely not happening.

I suppose it could be coincidence.. I know absolutely nothing of the tools available to you fine folk. I only have two instances that made me assume such, but they got me thinking.

Since you're certain it's not happening, I'll just go ahead and apologize now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:14 am 
Gold Donor

Nokuro wrote:
I only have two instances that made me assume such, but they got me thinking.

Dulrik and the staff like specifics. Can you provide some?

Post subject: Re: Staff training us not to share knowledge...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:29 am 
Mortal

If I can walk somewhere with one other person in game, and then stomp the NPC without any kind of loss but the short time it took to do so.. It should not be an item that has great anything, since it required no challenge in game to get.