Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Streaming
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:58 am 
Mortal

I remember a post being made about this in the past, but my forum-searching skills are not what they once were. Are the staff comfortable with a player live-streaming their play on a streaming site like twitch?

Post subject: Re: Streaming
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:18 am 
Immortal

I think Dulrik would have to amend the Terms of Service first. Streaming a session via Twitch would appear to violate the ToS in multiple ways, the most obvious being section 8, since Twitch is a commercial enterprise. If Dulrik is comfortable with updating the ToS to allow for things like streaming on Twitch, I'm personally fine with the idea. I'm frankly interested in the idea as an experiment just to see if anyone in the world will tune in to watch someone stream a 20 year old text-based game. As the ToS stands now, though, I don't see how we can allow it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:09 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
Yeah, that's an interesting idea to consider.

I know that I could sit and watch something like that, but I've also discovered that watching people play the MUD is kinda like that guy on the Matrix who looks at streams of data and sees people doing stuff. Would be neat to see if/how often people would follow something like that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:36 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Caric
The thing about twitch streaming the actual game play really isnt why most people tune into a stream to watch. Its the streamer's "show" they are watching. Sometimes the show is amazing skills at playing a game but honestly a large number of them are the personalities. The ToS is a major issue with streaming, there is also the risk of people abusing the information you are broadcasting. I am curious about the end decision on it. However it does come with risks of sharing information OOC. Personally I think it could be good for the games exposure however I think there is a can of worms people would probably rather not have open.

There are some things could be done to help limit things like requesting if you do stream it you do not have VoDs of it to limit the OOC information accessible. I think would be a reasonable request to help mitigate some of the information sharing while still letting it go where the play takes you. If requests about areas/secrets are not streamed it most likely would make the stream untenable. Although if a very small number of locations where requested as such perhaps it would still work. With how many fingers get pointed as far as OOC organisation of things streaming seems like a very large risk.

I think the "best" solution to let streaming happen is probably a limited number of select people could be allowed to broadcast a stream. Most people would probably turn around and claim imm favorites from this. However if it is limited any restrictions requested can be communicated and enforced. Also discussions regarding how these work on a stream can be had. If things go really badly (in relation to the game issues, not the stream) with a control group then it wouldnt get opened to the masses. If things go well then further requests for streaming could be opened up. With streaming by validation system seeming like the "safe" way to do it.

Either way the question should probably get an answer from D. Also a little reasoning behind it might be nice as well just in case players can see a way to limit or solve an issue that might be missed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:08 am 
Mortal

Gilgon wrote:
I remember a post being made about this in the past, but my forum-searching skills are not what they once were. Are the staff comfortable with a player live-streaming their play on a streaming site like twitch?

It's not a good idea to allow streaming of Shattered Kingdoms, unless Twitch allows for an extremely long delay. I know Twitch streams can have a five minute delay, but that would not be nearly long enough. While you may not have an issue that people would be able to see your character's real-time location, the players of the characters that you interact with probably would.

It would also generate a LOT of complaints. Not only from your character's allies, but his enemies too. Every time someone died, it would result in immediate complaints of multiplaying: I only died because they knew where to find my character by watching Algon's stream and then used that information in character. I personally don't want to have to deal with complaints that I used information gained from a Twitch stream to find the location of characters in the game.

The only way I see this working is if Twitch allows for a really LONG delay - at least thirty minutes or even an hour. Even then this is opening Pandora's box, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:13 pm 
Mortal

I'm more curious who would spend time watching someone play a Mud?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:35 am 
Mortal

Chem wrote:

People that enjoy mudsex0ring?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:35 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Caric
A few people I could see people watching a stream of SK.
Someone who is already a fan of the streamers work (or someone who is part of a raid/host), they are there for the show doesnt matter what game they are playing.
Someone who is curios about what a mud is and how it is played.
Someone who is curious about shattered kingdoms who plays another mud, knows it is a big investment of effort to learn a different mud and is wanting to work out if its worth the time.
I am sure there are others out there who might be interested.

BAI7l7 wrote:
Chem wrote:

People that enjoy mudsex0ring?

I think that would probably go against twitchs ToS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:32 am 
Mortal

What's the conclusion on whether this is allowed? Would appreciate some regulatory authority from D.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:35 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
I would think that Thuban's response definitely indicates that it wouldn't be allowed as Twitch is a commercial enterprise. If anything, Dulrik would have to chime in and amend the ToS to stream.