Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Refusing to greet after introducing yourself to someone
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:19 pm 
Mortal

Any thoughts on refusing to greet people after you tell them your name? Is this permissible, and is it equally permissible to take IC action against someone for refusing to greet you? Right now I am treating it as though its some level of rudeness that may be worthy of pk. Would like some clarity from the imms.

Post subject: Re: Refusing to greet after introducing yourself to someone
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:32 pm 
Mortal

it's really irritating, which is why my characters no longer initiate the greeting process

auto greet is enabled, so that if my character is greeted he automatically greets back. but i've run into far too many situations where you greet someone after they say their name, but then they don't greet back. in my mind - that's justification enough to pk them (depending on ur character's alignment).

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:42 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
I definitely think it's justified to potentially kill someone over it, sure. However, on the other hand I never particularly liked the meta-gaming aspect of how once someone greets you, you definitely know who they are because the code prevents you from being able to greet under a name you don't possess.

I'm not suggesting anything, by the way. Just saying it's an interesting fact of the game.

However, I've never had a problem with people OOCly who never greeted me, and I've personally played a character that purposefully greeted very few people (Antiira) because I often polymorphed into a different race for various reasons, and if you have someone greeted and they polymorph, their race changes on the who list, which can give away something that you're doing.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:51 pm 
Mortal

Talk to me
Tell me your name
You blow me off like it's all the same
You lit a fuse and now I'm ticking away
Like a bomb
Yeah, Baby

On a serious note, I can't really see certain classes or cabals for example a paladin who is in maybe the fists who suddenly decides to shatter skulls because people are being rude. That isn't enough justification to lose your center.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:56 pm 
Mortal

I think it's bug abuse to not greet someone after telling them your name, but assuming the staff interpret it as something other than bug abuse I will interpret it as a serious IC insult akin to slapping someone with a gauntlet and asking them to battle to the death. I will RP it, no sweat

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:38 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
That's fine. I don't see how it could be considered bug abuse. If anything, I'd say that it's metagaming to assume that someone is telling you the truth about their identity just because they used the greet command, and not just because of (REDACTED).

What adds to the other side of things in my opinion is the fact that for a character who polymorphs for deceptive reasons, greeting people really screws them over.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:22 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Arkex, Chronis, Azoreth, Kyln
I remember Opey killing noobies at the portal stones for not giving them his name. I feel like he got cursed or at least a talking to about it.
I wasn't quite cool with that when he did it. But it does meet the rule 1 PK requirements. So he shouldn't have gotten in trouble.

If someone states their name to someone and doesn't greet, I see that a somewhat flawed code. You've greeted them, but you have to greet them again for the code? I feel like the greet command is more of an Ooc kind of thing to initiate the code. I wish I had another example of it.

It would be cool if greet could work like this.

Greet Taran I am Azoreth.

That way you send a say their way and introduce you at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:26 am 
Implementor

So if you use your name in any say, should greet automatically take place? I have had this thought over the years, but thought it would be too restrictive on RP and would set up an undesirable litmus test. I still think it is probably a bad idea.

If you are going to tell someome your name, you should be prepared to greet them. But I am also not quite prepared to say that failure to do so is punishable.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:23 pm 
Mortal

Trosis wrote:
I remember Opey killing noobies at the portal stones for not giving them his name. I feel like he got cursed or at least a talking to about it.
I wasn't quite cool with that when he did it. But it does meet the rule 1 PK requirements. So he shouldn't have gotten in trouble.

If someone states their name to someone and doesn't greet, I see that a somewhat flawed code. You've greeted them, but you have to greet them again for the code? I feel like the greet command is more of an Ooc kind of thing to initiate the code. I wish I had another example of it.

It would be cool if greet could work like this.

Greet Taran I am Azoreth.

That way you send a say their way and introduce you at the same time.

And yet it was how long before you greeted Mayra? Not to nit pick. But I can see reasons not to greet even if you have given your name. Just because I know who you are doesn't mean I actually know you as a person. Names are powerful things in many fantasy settings. But that's just my two cents.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:25 pm 
Mortal

I can't see not greeting being bug abuse.

Also, I don't think it should be automatic, but people shouldn't be exempt from facing the consequences of their actions. Many find not greeting rude and irritating and I imagine it would be the same in RL if you were somehow kept from knowing someone's name permanently unless they handed you their business card, especially after you gave them yours.

If you don't want to give someone your name IC, don't even say it. But if you tell someone your name, AND refuse to greet them AND are called out on it IC, you are being given a choice. Staying the course could result in consequences such as it coming to blows. In my opinion, this follows the rules fairly enough.