Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rules Update 8/26/16 Q&A
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:16 pm 
Mortal

Quote:
But, it's inexcusable to just roll up on another character and kill them with no explanation. I'm not at all for removing this verbiage.

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't agree with declaring it a "right" to know why you died. I've tried rewording it, but maybe my criticism isn't really substantive:

Quote:
Roleplay all conflicts. While player killing is an essential part of the game, it is a violation of rule 2 to refuse to roleplay with your victims. Additionally, players are required to engage in in-character dialogue with their victims, should those victims wish to speak. Death is unavoidable in Pyrathia, but players have the right to be included, if they desire, in any roleplay that results in their death.

For the record, I've never had a negative interaction with the staff. I've never been punished in any way on any character. My perception of the rules as hostile or negative is not based on animosity toward the staff. I do prefer a "freer" SK since the reason I initially sought to play SK was the freedom to PK and full loot anyone at any time (though I've nearly always been on the losing side), and it pains me to see skilled/ruthless players driven away from the game. I like having bad guys around.

Finally, can nobody appreciate the hypocrisy that the forums ban non-staff from actually quoting rule #1? It's just not fitting with the tone or character of SK or its long-serving administrator.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:52 am 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
theDrifter wrote:
Finally, can nobody appreciate the hypocrisy that the forums ban non-staff from actually quoting rule #1? It's just not fitting with the tone or character of SK or its long-serving administrator.

I can absolutely appreciate that and welcome that being pointed out. :lol:

Though personally, I think "irony" is a more appropriate word choice. That particular forum-word-effect was implemented long ago by a staff member who has not been involved in the current rules discussion, leading us to irony; not hypocrisy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:55 pm 
Mortal

NO SEXUAL HARASSMENT

An extension of Rule 1, sexual harassment is an absolute disregard for another Shattered Kingdoms player and will not be tolerated. Harassment can occur in or out of character, and either will result in a siteban. While the game allows adult content, in-character sexual actions must be engaged with the consent of all participants. If you are told that your advancements are unwelcome, you must cease immediately or face a siteban.

Keep your rusty knives to yourself folks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:33 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Gailehn, Stephanov
Quote:
Throwing a tantrum or deleting after being defeated is bad sportsmanship.

Grey area.

People have been 'accused' of doing this when looking for a final IC reason to just fade-to black. It may look inherently like they left in a tantrum, but they could have been planning to 'get on with it' for reasons OOC (new job, family things, health issues, RL relationship changes) that weren't clear (and should not have to be made clear.) A person already could have been planning to delete 'the next time they died,' and since they mightn't have been in leadership/prominent/whatever, they may not have communicated. Personal reasons are personal. The fact someone isn't told shouldn't be a factor. Ever forcing someone to communicate such things (open as I can sometimes be) should never be mandatory.

Sometimes there had been other issues/reasons a player had to bow out - perhaps more related to the game or their character's treatment (IC.) Sometimes it's just best to leave than become a negative center of attention. Better to go and get some space and breathe than submit oneself to what could be (albeit) mis-construed grieving. I left a character once over some pretty [REDACTED] things going on - but made it clear to staff and the other players involved why, and taking a needed break. I don't want this to start becoming considered a rules violation, when it could lead to some constructive evaluation; the gap left by my character was relatively restored in game quickly.

I do agree sometimes people leave in tantrums. I think a far better focus, especially leadership-wise, there should always be a plan B agreed upon within any organization. Whatever succession rules or voting system established IC, but communication in the group's forums so those gaps are closed as swiftly as possible, should they occur.

On the flip - having kept a character after a major war, on the losing side, 'surviving' negotiations as the losing leader with all factions, and making hard decisions and choices with that character remains one of the best experiences I had with the game. My leadership did not survive terribly long after that (someone wanted to bring fresh PVK back into the group a bit sooner than the group rebuilt, so I bowed out), but even then I kept the character as 'a guard of
a village,' who never forward stirred up the pot, as I was happy enough keeping him retired. More characters should hang in there. Losing can build character.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:11 am 
Immortal

Pook wrote:
I left a character once over some pretty [REDACTED] things going on - but made it clear to staff and the other players involved why, and taking a needed break. I don't want this to start becoming considered a rules violation, when it could lead to some constructive evaluation; the gap left by my character was relatively restored in game quickly.

I don't think any of the behavior I've observed in your past 3 characters has ever fallen into this category. Typically, the people planning what you've described have done some RP to that effect, or they engage in the RP at the time, or they follow it up with such RP.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:12 am 
Immortal

TheCannibal wrote:
NO SEXUAL HARASSMENT

An extension of Rule 1, sexual harassment is an absolute disregard for another Shattered Kingdoms player and will not be tolerated. Harassment can occur in or out of character, and either will result in a siteban. While the game allows adult content, in-character sexual actions must be engaged with the consent of all participants. If you are told that your advancements are unwelcome, you must cease immediately or face a siteban.

Keep your rusty knives to yourself folks.

Nice to "see" an old familiar "face". Hope you're doing well. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:36 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
All I could think about on that section was rusty knives.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:00 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
Quote:

NO SPAMMING OR HACKING OF THE GAME

Spamming is defined as the continuous or repetitive printing of something to the screen, either in an attempt to annoy other players or to gain an advantage over them. Hacking is defined as an attempt to gain unauthorized access to resources of the game, including characters of other players. More than two attempts to access a character using an invalid password will result in an investigation regarding possible hacking. Players found guilty of spamming will be punished with demotion when used for annoyance, and deletion when used to gain advantage. Those found guilty of hacking will be punished by siteban.[/list]

I saw the new rules had just been posted, and this question might seem a little fringe-case, but I just wanted to ask for clarification on this.

If you're out in the middle of nowhere casting a set of spells over and over, does that count as spamming or is that acceptable?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:19 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Gemyna Milmyra
ObjectivistActivist wrote:
Quote:
If you're out in the middle of nowhere casting a set of spells over and over, does that count as spamming or is that acceptable?

That is a very good question as that would gravely change how I go about training my casters up to mastering spells/prayers/etc. Please let us know if this is not allowed now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:12 pm 
Immortal

ObjectivistActivist wrote:
I saw the new rules had just been posted, and this question might seem a little fringe-case, but I just wanted to ask for clarification on this.

That text was largely the same in the old rules, and it will continue to be enforced the same way. Training your spells in that way is not against the spam rules, unless, for example, you charm someone and force them to sit there with you in the middle of nowhere and watch you spam train your spells, in which case you would be violating multiple rules.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next