Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Favorite Quotes Note
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:09 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
TL;DR: Forcing every favorite quote post to be its own thread feels a lot less friendly and inviting. Giving the option of posting to a mega-thread until it fills up would feel much more welcoming and fun, especially to new players.

I know that 'favorite quotes' has gone through multiple iterations, but I really would like to advocate for allowing there to be an all-purpose 'favorite quotes' thread instead of forcing every snippet to be its own topic.

One of the best memories I have of SK's forums was having just one big favorite quotes thread that was easy to read and easy to post to.

I like the option of having your favorite quotes posts being their own topics, but it requires two or three times as much work to read and post to favorite quotes now than it used to, and I think that the forum for favorite quotes would be much more friendly to old and new players alike if people had the option of contributing to just one big topic in addition to creating their own post.

Whenever I think about making a thread just to post a one or two line snippet, I decide 'nah I just won't bother.' I can't be alone in this, which makes me think that there's a lot of missed fun moments because of the new format being forced upon everyone.

Post subject: Re: Favorite Quotes Note
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:17 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Leila
+1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:57 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Vivitnir
I would have to agree on this too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:06 pm 
Mortal

Edoras wrote:
Whenever I think about making a thread just to post a one or two line snippet, I decide 'nah I just won't bother.' I can't be alone in this, which makes me think that there's a lot of missed fun moments because of the new format being forced upon everyone.

Mostly this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:23 pm 
Immortal

I can see it both ways, I really do like the ability to joke around and have back and forth about a specific quote without it turning into a mess, but I also liked the old way too because it was all in one place.

Would it help at all if there was a standard subject format, or something like that?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:34 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: That one guy who pk'd you.
Mega thread!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:10 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Leila
Algorab wrote:
I can see it both ways, I really do like the ability to joke around and have back and forth about a specific quote without it turning into a mess, but I also liked the old way too because it was all in one place.

Would it help at all if there was a standard subject format, or something like that?

I mean... that's the way it was until a few days ago... :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:04 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Arkex, Chronis, Azoreth, Kyln
I support the Favorite Quotes Mega Thread! Make it so, number one!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:09 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
Algorab wrote:
I wouldn't say so, honestly, because that still requires a lot more work than most people are (understandably) willing to put into posting quick snippets.

Take this quote for instance.
Kirsenvar wrote:
Code:
You point at a corpse of Silith.
A corpse of Silith spins crazily about and then hurtles off to the north.

:lol:

I got a laugh out of that, because completely of context it's actually rather amusing. But I can honestly say that if I had seen a 1 post thread in my "view unread posts" lists called "Poltergeist looks hilarious" and then clicked that just to see a solitary post with no replies that consisted of an unedited common gameplay mechanic I would have been like 'eh'.

I remember getting excited to see when the old favorite quotes thread had 50 unread posts in it after I took a break. I can't say I'd be as excited to see 30 unread threads with 0-1 replies each in the Favorite Quotes forum: It just feels like a lot more work and ultimately it feels lonely.

What favorite quotes -used- to feel like (And given the activity in the last one that got shut down, could be again) was the standard IRC/discord chatroom where everyone just posted their stupid silly stuff about the game and it felt more friendly and inviting. I don't see the point of forcing the format of one quote per thread instead of just letting the players choose what they'd prefer.

To put it differently, Dulrik locked the last attempt at a mega-thread with this, and due to the lack of tone on the internet I honestly can't tell whether he's being completely genuine or whether he's being sarcastically insulting.
Dulrik wrote:
We have an entire favorite quotes forum now, so you no longer have to tack unrelated quotes onto an endless thread. Enjoy the luxury of an entire thread per quote.
That said, I'll assume he's being genuine and I'll respond genuinely.

Many players WANT to tack unrelated quotes onto an endless thread. It's more fun for them. Please let them (us) do that.

There's a lot of people that don't want to have to make an entire thread per quote, they just want to be able to post silly one-liners that don't have a lot of depth, and they feel marginalized and frustrated when go out of your way to prevent that while claiming to be doing them a favor.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:16 pm 
Immortal

Edoras wrote:
What favorite quotes -used- to feel like (And given the activity in the last one that got shut down, could be again) was the standard IRC/discord chatroom where everyone just posted their stupid silly stuff about the game and it felt more friendly and inviting. I don't see the point of forcing the format of one quote per thread instead of just letting the players choose what they'd prefer.

To put it differently, Dulrik locked the last attempt at a mega-thread with this, and due to the lack of tone on the internet I honestly can't tell whether he's being completely genuine or whether he's being sarcastically insulting.
Dulrik wrote:
We have an entire favorite quotes forum now, so you no longer have to tack unrelated quotes onto an endless thread. Enjoy the luxury of an entire thread per quote.
That said, I'll assume he's being genuine and I'll respond genuinely.

Many players WANT to tack unrelated quotes onto an endless thread. It's more fun for them. Please let them (us) do that.

There's a lot of people that don't want to have to make an entire thread per quote, they just want to be able to post silly one-liners that don't have a lot of depth, and they feel marginalized and frustrated when go out of your way to prevent that while claiming to be doing them a favor.

Snipped a bit for brevity, but thank you for responding to my question and giving me some more insight. I can see where a single thread would give more of that livestream/IRC/Twitch/Discord sort of feel, so that makes perfect sense.

While I'm not a mind-reader, assuming Dulrik is being genuine is generally the right call.

If there were a mega-thread within the Favorite Quotes forum so people could decide the level of effort their pithy quote justified, reply or new thread, would that be an acceptable compromise?