Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Complaint about saxifragaceae
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:20 am 
Mortal

Mute people only ever bothered me when they were spell casters. If you are mute you can't complete the verbal part of the spell :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:37 pm 
Immortal

TheX wrote:
Mute people only ever bothered me when they were spell casters. If you are mute you can't complete the verbal part of the spell :roll:

They are thinking about them really REALLY hard. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:41 am 
Mortal

It doesn't matter what your opinion is. This game isn't going anywhere. Someone asked why and I detailed why. The fact that you're all in agreement only supports my argument.

Consider if I were completely new to the game. I pick a evil alignment knowing there can be conflicts. Another evil character decides to harass me. That person then joins a group consisting of characters from all alignments, so alignment and affiliations in organizations don't matter? So mark them all as unfriendly.

This is my recall spot, I'll use this as a base of operations since it would otherwise cost me a considerable amount of time, attention, and general knowledge that I don't have. The unfriendly group decides to be more proactive in their harassment. Okay. Maybe they'll have something better to do than harass me since they all appear to be max level. Oh, it looks like one of them logged into another character to kill me since the number of players hasn't changed. Maybe it was against the rules? I'll report it. Oh, it didn't do anything.

So, alignment doesn't matter, rules don't matter, and the only group playing is harassing me with multiple characters in their arsenal. Guess I'll go play something else with more than 8 people in the whole world playing.

Now just add the basic knowledge of how this game actually works. Alignment and affiliations don't matter because the game can't support it. I'll give that a pass since it doesn't hurt to play together. Group of GMs deciding they can't meet anywhere else when a character they don't like is obviously recalling there to level. Can't find anything better to do than try and annoy me while I'm AFK and I can just spam res tokens. Morons. Rules manager warns a veteran player about PK conduct and ignores multiplaying offense. No surprise there.

Like I said, keep wondering why people are leaving and not coming back. It's no mystery from where I'm sitting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:16 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Arkex, Chronis, Azoreth, Kyln
The dude has a point.
I haven’t followed this thread all the way through but my logic is this.
It is inevitable to meet people in the game that you don’t like. And that will spawn some decent RP and conflict and PVP. But if someone is a lowbie and hasn’t brought any reason for conflict upon themselve, then if they want to be left alone then leave them alone.

If someone wants to be a hermit, then what is the harm in that. Eventually they’ll need help with something and they’ll have to come to others for help. That’s when interaction can begin.
That’s when you can start trying to pry RP out of someone.

I crossed paths with an imperial training in Tlaxcala. I asked who they were and they refused to answer. So I talked some [REDACTED], spat on them, and then went on my way. Once they’re GM then we have precious RP that can incite conflict.

But to PK a lowbie at their portal stones after harassing them for however long? Why is that Necessary? Isn’t that one of the reasons Opey isn’t being allowed back? Because as an imperial he killed a lowbie for not showing the Elite Guard of the Empire enough respect to give their name?

If you wanna make an RP point to attack someone, especially a lowbie, why not hit them with mode stun? Gets your point across, they don’t have to deal with death, and you can feel all high and mighty that you got your PK on.

I’ll read the entire thread and see if my opinion on the matter changes, but come on...

I’m not saying that SK needs to be a safe place for snowflakes and newbies. But he reasonable. You’re creating a story. Don’t be a murder hobo.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:46 am 
Mortal

Just read through it and I stand by my two posts in this thread.

Girgi, I think some of the harassment could have been avoided if you were just said “what do you want?” “I’m girgi and I want to focus on training. We’ll chat if I have time in the future.” Or words to that effect.
But that potential slight RP resolution might have still caused these players to poke and prod with questions, trying to get you to RP more. And it’s at that point where they should have just let you do your thing.

I think it is outrageous that these other players went out of their way to annoy you to the point of deletion. I’ve been pk’d Into the dirt and I know that players wanted me to delete. But that all happened because of long-lasting RP that led up to tha point.

Everyone should think about the person on the other side of the keyboard. Did girgi deserve to be annoyed and arguably harassed because he wouldn’t talk to you? If your answer is yes, then he’s right. You’re part of the problem.

Girgi, who were you playing at the time? Who were the characters involved?

If you want to play SK with a higher standard of gameplay, roll a Druid and join me. I want a merc, but it’s your call. I play at 3AM pst every morning, if you do actually play these early AM hours. We’ll have fun and everyone else can suck it.’

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:43 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
My 2-cents:

It's perfectly legitimate to play a loner. Just because you want to play a loner doesn't mean everybody you encounter will feel the same.

The easiest thing to play in SK, especially with low player counts, is a loner. If your intention really is to play alone, you can level up to Master while avoiding most players in the game, even without knowing the game inside & out. It might be slower, but it's possible.

It's extremely easy for any experienced player to know the difference between a new player and an experienced player who's just trying to stay under the radar. Just because you're trying to fly under the radar, doesn't mean everybody you encounter will feel the same. Just because you're not talking whilst quietly leveling up at the best-known rapid-leveling spots, don't assume that nobody will know you're a veteran player or that they will treat you like the newb they know you are not.

Even in the most clear-cut scenarios, there are still 2 sides to both stories. Sometimes one player is flat-out wrong, but usually the wronged has done something to attract attention, if not to earn whatever treatment they receive. Always there is a lot of assumption about what is going on behind the other keyboard.

Sometimes people suck and there are jerks in every facet of life. Multi-user domains are no exception to this rule. Sometimes you just need to have a stiff upper lip, and sometimes you just need to have the backbone to work through the adversity introduced by these jerks. It's one thing if you let a couple of challenging experiences turn you away forever- in these instances there is probably nothing that would keep you happy or satisfied anyway, so it's probably better that you go somewhere that doesn't provide an atmosphere allowing PvP.

It's another thing if you're rolling with the challenges and the jerks become griefers, actively intent on destroying your game experience and actively intent on driving you to quit. In these cases, you need logs to back up what you're experiencing, and to provide them to Dulrik and to the rules manager, so they can observe the full context of the situation and see exactly what you've experienced. This will give them the information they need to make a fair judgment with action. I understand and can certainly relate to being upset by the troll who is intentionally trying to ruin the game for you, but following that up by treating the staff with the same attitude that you've just received isn't going to make the experience any better for you or the staff member trying to help. Getting angry when a staff member doesn't respond soon enough is also understandable, but is also a possibility for a 100% free game that is open to all, works entirely on staff volunteerism and Dulrik's $$ to support the server, and that will never have pay-to-play bonuses to give you an edge over the other free players. Personally, I haven't found many games that offer free game-play AND no pay-to-play bonuses. So I try to respect the inevitable challenges that come with it, including occasionally slow staff response.

Quote:
Isn’t that one of the reasons Opey isn’t being allowed back? Because as an imperial he killed a lowbie for not showing the Elite Guard of the Empire enough respect to give their name?

OMG, wow. No. This instance may have been one action taken among many to earn this player's ban, but I've never heard it brought up among staff as one of the compelling reasons to ban or even to punish. Trust me, said player engaged in MANY repeated abusive behaviors to be removed from the game, none as innocent or in-character as that suggested above.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:09 pm 
Mortal

I find that being a loner paints a target on your back. Something about being disrespected and not revealing your name. I remember a sorc would go in and out of inn sleeping to get full inn bonus and NEVER talk to anyone. A birdy came long and killed him and got cursed because everyone hated him when he chose to be anonymous. We all laughed and moved on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:21 am 
Immortal

BAI7l7 wrote:
I find that being a loner paints a target on your back. Something about being disrespected and not revealing your name. I remember a sorc would go in and out of inn sleeping to get full inn bonus and NEVER talk to anyone. A birdy came long and killed him and got cursed because everyone hated him when he chose to be anonymous. We all laughed and moved on.

That's probably true for those characters who run in and out of populated areas while not talking to people. Personally, if I were to choose to play a loner, I'd choose to avoid such places in the interest of maintaining that low profile.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:09 pm 
Mortal

Yed wrote:
BAI7l7 wrote:

That's probably true for those characters who run in and out of populated areas while not talking to people. Personally, if I were to choose to play a loner, I'd choose to avoid such places in the interest of maintaining that low profile.

So is it against the rules to be in an inn and not say a word to anyone?
I’d argue not. But I would argue that over-harassment is violating the golden rule, rule 1.
A little bit of “I’m a dick” RP is fine. But there is a line where you’re violating rule 1.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:24 pm 
Immortal

Trosis wrote:
So is it against the rules to be in an inn and not say a word to anyone?

Of course not.

Trosis wrote:
But I would argue that over-harassment is violating the golden rule, rule 1.

Without defining "over-harassment", I'd agree.

Trosis wrote:
A little bit of “I’m a dick” RP is fine. But there is a line where you’re violating rule 1.

Agreed.

I haven't seen any logs and don't really even have access to such things anymore, so I'm responding only to the he-said/she-said I've seen displayed here, and don't remember all the details expressed here. But it stands to common sense that if you're moving into highly-populated areas, where people are trying to roleplay with you, and you choose to flat-out ignore them, then at that point there becomes a pretty strong argument that the roleplay you are choosing has a very good chance of leading you into conflict with whomever you are choosing to ignore, and to possibly offend.

Roleplay is a part of this game. If your character doesn't want to interact with other characters, but also wants to receive the benefits of resting in an inn, then there's a pretty good chance that those two desires may come into conflict with each other. A paladin is not likely to murder you for ignoring them in the inn of their home city. But a hellion, rogue, necromancer, Knightlord, etc, might have an entirely different IC response. If the overall intent is to avoid interaction with other players- and therefore the benefits and consequences of doing so, then it would be reasonable to assume that you should rest somewhere that you are NOT likely to encounter other players.

Again, I don't know any actual details except what I remember from reading this thread before today, so I'm not blaming anybody for anything, just giving my 2-cents.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next