Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Honoring gods
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:28 pm 
Mortal

I'm really very interested in hearing what the Imms think of this.

If a player is part of one faith, they dedicate their life and soul to that faith. It is suposed to come first in their lives. How does this affect their view of the other gods? I always assumed that because they were gods, mortals should always show respect for them, even if the god's viewpoint is completely opposite that of the faith that player is in.

But in RP terms, would the follower of a light faith bow or kneel in respect to a god of darkness, or visa versa? Would a follower of any faith bow or kneel to another god at all? How would one show respect for the gods of a different faith?

Thanks,
The ever questioning player. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:11 pm 
Mortal

Location: Don't scream "leper", but I'm one of those too... the Greeks.
I'm not really an Imm, but I believe I can help you in this.

Let's start with a bit of the help "conduct":

help conduct wrote:
Think...what would you do if the head deity of your religion in real life
suddenly manifested before you? Would you yawn? Would you say, "Heya, God, how are things?" Would you take no notice? In reality, after you finished wetting your leggings, you would most likely be paralyzed by a combination of fear, awe, and joy. Roleplay this. Bowing to an immortal is not enough, especially if you have never been in his or her presence before. Kneeling is good, and prostrating yourself before the immortal is also acceptable. Note that this is not just before the immortal that you follow or wish to follow, but also before ANY immortal, whether you respect their sphere of influence or not. It is also common practice to ask permission before looking directly at any immortal.

I believe this pretty much says it all. Even if it's not the god that you've pledged your soul to, it's a being whose power is so immense that your mortal shell can't even begin to grasp it. Kneeling comes as a natural first reaction to the presence of such a being.

Now, as far as interaction goes, you should treat the Gods with respect. Even a Paladin of Dulrik, if confronted by Thuban himself, will use proper etiquette. He will address the God with a formal tone, yet remain steadfast in his beliefs and ideals. He will never, in any way, treat the God as a mere darkie (e.g. ignoring him). That pretty much goes for every class and every person. Except maybe the crazy ones.

I hope I managed to help a bit.

Krauss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:00 am 
Mortal

I think her question has to do with a discussion I had with her. So lets see if I can clear it up just a little... Or get yelled at for trying.

A person joins a faith. From that point on they worship their god for all things. You join Mira for instance, you would thank her for not only provideing magic in your life, but in helping you in battle, magicaly healing your wounds, and so on and so forth. Unlike a pantheist who would worship the 'correct' god for its sphere. Once you become part of a faith you now look at your deity as being the driveing force in your life. Now, I have often still respected the 'spheres' of what I would call my deity's allys, as well as those that arent opposed to him/her. But a Meissite should be asking Meissa or Alshain or Dulrik (in that order I woudl think) for favor in Battle especially agaisnt Sagras. I have often worked under the idea that Meissa would get this ability by her kinship with the other Light gods. So that All Healing is by the power of Meissa, through whatever other god.. with the exception of darkies since she wouldnt do that no way no how... those I have always chalked up to Thuban for various reasons, some along the lines of 'the big lie' "You think you are better, so you are" others haveing to Do with A certain Sphere RP that happened a while back (no clue how long before my time)

Yes IF YOU SEE A GOD... You should procceed close to the 'wet your pants' RP. These 'things' are Death Will Welcome you OR WORSE. I had only ever heard one Priest tell me a story of defeating an IMM in battle, and he kinda glossed over the rest of the party haveing been made very DEAD.

Lets see if that helps any... Or If Im just way off base and will be smited for it. :drunk:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:32 am 
Mortal

Yorik is mostly right about me talking to him about this.

I have a character, dedicated to one god. During a conversation, my character mentions that she honors all gods. This got quite a reaction, since the person said "Even dark gods?" My character replied that as a mortal, all gods should be respected and given proper honor.

Is that "wrong" to think like that since she's dedicated herself to one particular god?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:40 am 
Mortal

I'd say it really depends on your character. If you're following a light religion, let's say Aludra since there's only Lyara to yell at me ;), then you would most likely not like the dark gods, but recognize that they have a place in the world and the fact that they're GODS helps too. When in doubt, remember they get a little command called 'slay' that can do all kinds of fun stuff, including (but not limited to) making you dead.

Follower of a dark god wouldbe about the same, only probably with an open animosity as well towards followers of said opposite aligned gods.

Neutral gods get into sticky territory, and it's really up to the patron to hash out which gods you can deal with. Ain and Marfik don't get along for example (not to mention Ain doesn't even like himself sometimes :p ), and neither (supposedly) do Mira and Sadal, while Yed is ambiguous (as usual) though he DID assist in Marfik's origin somehow...and Achernar is (normally) happy just so long as people change into their dead form at some point or the other :D

I'd say, personally, that regardless of which god you follow of whatever alignment, you'd have to acknowledge the existance of these gods and their spheres, regardless of what you think about those spheres.

Sidenote - I've always chalked up dark aura healing spells to Zynor. He is the god of Blood after all, and I'd assume Him healing the dark half of the world would end up in more light blood being spilled, so he'd be having happier dreams :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:47 am 
Mortal

It's a character/religion choice. My own character only considers the light gods to be true gods, and worth worshiping. The dark gods he dismisses as demons. The neutral gods, save for special cases, he considers servant spirits under Dulrik's final judgement.

Of course, my character would still keel over in terror if he met Zynor or Marfik face-to-face. You can respect an immortal's power without worshiping him or her.

Post subject: Marfik and Yed share underpants.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:38 pm 
Immortal

Quote:
Ain and Marfik don't get along for example

True. See: http://www.geocities.com/eurokraut/orderchaos1.jpg

Quote:
(not to mention Ain doesn't even like himself sometimes :p )

Not true, he's actually quite an egotistical deity, and is overly full of himself. It's his way or no way, and he loves his way. Having two sides to a faith doesn't mean in the slightest he has personal qualms. Just means the majority are uninformed as to his true nature...and that's the point. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:06 am 
Mortal

Quote:
Just means the majority are uninformed as to his true nature...and that's the point.

The Eye knows whats happening, its those damn Scale followers that are confused just to clarify for everyone.

Post subject: Similar
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:01 pm 
Mortal

I was actually curious about something like this. My character is principled, but hes in Yed's faith, but in the help file it says the faith doesnt really care about deciet, truth, death, and courage. And the person that ivested me into the religion said that faith comes first. So how should i play my character? Will i still go to hell for Pkilling?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:13 am 
Mortal

I'd doubt it, since Yed don't care about death etc...