Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:30 am 
Mortal

Let me add this one...

Code:
Zavijah, the God of Wisdom
Wisdom, Discovery, Liberty

Well, through exploration and discovery one gains wisdom, and through wisdom is that he can't tolerate slavery and fights for (his own) freedom. Freedom is also a necesstity for further discovery and wisdom... A simple circle.

Anyway, the point is, that all faiths have their spheres well related, as long as their HFs know how to support these relations. It is only a matter of proper RP...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:50 am 
Let's look at the gods for a moment - in particular, let's look at their spheres.

Aludra, the goddess of love. Alshain, the lord of courage. Dulrik, lord of honor and discipline. Healing, wisdom, death, order, chaos, magic, the cycle of growth and decay, fate, the elements, fear, power, pain, betrayal, and destruction also appear.

What is the difference between these spheres and 'insanity'? I'll tell you. The above qualities are all some sort of force, some sort of power. The only god I might question would be Thuban, but for Thuban, I believe the true sphere is the flipside of every man and woman. Not betrayal itself, but the ability, intent and desire to betray.

Insanity on the other hand, is a condition. Pure and simple. Not only is it a condition, but it's a weakness, not a strength. No matter which god you look at, it's impossible to call them insane (even Ain). Insanity amongst the pantheon would indicate that the pantheon could be weak, could be flawed. I simply don't understand how the pantheon would permit a god of personal weakness without it being taken advantage of and destroyed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:03 am 
Mortal

own! wrote:
...Insanity on the other hand, is a condition. Pure and simple. Not only is it a condition, but it's a weakness, not a strength. No matter which god you look at, it's impossible to call them insane (even Ain). Insanity amongst the pantheon would indicate that the pantheon could be weak, could be flawed. I simply don't understand how the pantheon would permit a god of personal weakness without it being taken advantage of and destroyed.

Good point. But look up Dionysus. Greek god of...let's call it 'hedonism' to lump it all together. He was also seemingly insane, promoted 'insane' revelry and acts, but wasn't insane himself.

Juggernaut & Yorik:

Being related isn't the problem in itself. All of the spheres being generally the same thing is.

Just to explain more clearly my point, let's look at Sadal, who would be the best example of what I'm trying to say:

Code:
Sadal, Tempest of Destiny
Luck, Fate, Storms

We all know what luck and fate are, and could spend hours arguing on exactly how they differ, suffice it to say they are different enough where they don't encompass the same things. (Remember, this is referring back to Marfik, who might as well have disorder and confusion as his spheres.) Storms, however, have almost nothing to do with luck or fate (again, depending on how you're looking at it, and whether or not you have a garden, etc.).

MY point was to say that throughout history, you'd be hard pressed to find any god/dess with multiple spheres that had a whole lot to directly link them. Apollo, for example, was the god of the sun, herding and music. They have their relation, but are three totally seperate spheres unto themselves as well. Of course, this is Dulrik's game and his world, so there's nothing WRONG with having three spheres that basically all have the same meaning. It all just hinges on one thing in the end:

juggernaut wrote:
Anyway, the point is, that all faiths have their spheres well related, as long as their HFs know how to support these relations. It is only a matter of proper RP...

And as for 'Virnoil Ironclaw': Congrats! You've learned how to bandwagon without making a coherant and/or worthwhile point.

There are plenty of people, I don't doubt, that think it's rather dumb to be asking for this and discussing it in depth, but then, I could say the same for people who discuss proper PK tactics all day, or what the best RP is made up of, etc. Everyone has their opinion. Thank you for voicing yours, regardless of the fact that it's been echoed many times over already. Fact is, this whole thread is probably just another example of what's been dubbed 'golden years syndrome', with many of the players who have been around for more than a few months reminiscing about religions that were a lot of fun but will never come back due to the static pantheon being implemented.

*aside - Speaking of which, whatever happened to that thread on the dead gods?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:17 am 
1) when you're mocking somebody for being incoherent, please try to remember how the word 'coherent' is spelt.

2) Dionysus was part of an interrelated pantheon. I can think of no immortals currently in the Pantheon who have given birth to other members. Indeed, this has not occured since Dreddnahr and Jinnahra, and is a rare (unique as far as I am aware [creation of Zynor notwithstanding]). Your comparison is not an accurate one, as you haven't taken all factors into account.

As far as I'm concerned, my argument stands. And yours is... Well, stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:27 am 
Mortal

If I may add to the comment on Dionysus, who is a God often very much missunderstood by most people...

Dionysus is indeed an god of Hedonism, but that is not his weakeness, nor does he stay there, and of definetely, he is not insane, at least not with a meaning as "crazy". Even Dionysus is a manifestation of a power. As Apollo is the power of the mind, the power of logic and sober thinking, peace and calmness, the lightie side of arts, let's say, Dionysus is the exact opposite. A manifestation of power that comes from the body, the sences without the presence of logic and balance, but not as an "insane" person, rather as a person in "Mania" which is a Greek word that refers to the worship of Dionysus ("Mainades" were the women who went into mania in the "rituals"). It is the power of inner violence in both a destructinve/creative way, the darkie side of arts, the God of Rebirth through the Dark path of Death. So, even he symbolises a power and not a weakness for sure...

P.S. I apologise for this small lecture, only to make my point clearer...

EDIT: P.S. After p-wn's request I am trying to make clearer, that this is a response to a point made by grelden, and show that even Dionysus was ALSO a God of a divine POWER and not something that lacks it.

Last edited by juggernaut on Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:45 am 
Stay on topic please.

PS. We have a god of the arts, so don't go there, Gnalish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:40 am 
Mortal

own! wrote:
PS. We have a god of the arts, so don't go there, Gnalish.

When did I take a dig at the arts??? I mentioned Dionysus, and that's the closest I got - but if you are trying to compare Dionysus to any member of SKs pantheon, he'd be closer to Yopparai than to Meissa by any stretch.

still own! wrote:
1) when you're mocking somebody for being incoherent, please try to remember how the word 'coherent' is spelt.

2) Dionysus was part of an interrelated pantheon. I can think of no immortals currently in the Pantheon who have given birth to other members. Indeed, this has not occured since Dreddnahr and Jinnahra, and is a rare (unique as far as I am aware [creation of Zynor notwithstanding]). Your comparison is not an accurate one, as you haven't taken all factors into account.

As far as I'm concerned, my argument stands. And yours is... Well, stupid.

1) Does it matter that I mis-spelled something at 8 am? Not really. Why not overlook the typo and look at the meat of the issue?

2) Which brings us to - wtf? What in the great bloddy hells does being inter-related have to do with ANY of this discussion?

Also, juggernaut is correct about Dionysus. THAT was what I meant by he seemed insane (IE he took insane action - seemingly random, purely in the spirit of doing whatever the hell he wanted) but wasn't actually mentally unstable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:19 am 
Mortal

<FLAME REMOVED>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:34 am 
Mortal

<OFF-TOPIC THREAD REMOVED>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:09 pm 
<FLAME REMOVED>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next